Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness

I was very satisfied with the performance of Charles Clay last season- he came up big for us on many drives.

Also, can we expect a healthy Keller next year?

He's not on our team but anyways, I doubt he is FULLY healthy for quite some time

RT is not as bad as Henne was/is - but his pocket awareness is pretty poor.

Casual observation revealed that he has been holding the ball too long for two seasons - coaches complain, announcers complain and its plain to see.

He'll often take off running right into the arms of a defender.

He takes big blind side hits without any sense that the truck is coming.

He steps into traffic when launching a long ball which alters his throw.

He rushes at times when he does not need to.

Tannehill has pocket presence problems.

Some players, like Doug Williams was great passer when Gibbs built him a wall of an offensive line - so we can argue that Tannehill will be great if you build him a wall to pass behind - but that's not the conversation.

I argue that pocket presence cannot be taught...It Jedi warrior stuff - its a 6th sense...Tannehill does show these abilities sometimes too - although too infrequently...But for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that your video above may be the seeds of his ability to develop his innate athletic intuition to be have much better mastery of pocket presence.

I endorse this message.

Beautifully spoken.

He's got great eye level. Slow recogbirion. Poor pocket awareness. And poor deep ball accuracy. Other then that.... He's great

He's got great eye level. Slow recogbirion. Poor pocket awareness. And poor deep ball accuracy. Other then that.... He's great

I look around this thread and see nothing but great posters! You got potential!

safe_imagephpdAQAnzBd1AreD6OcAw377h197ur-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
3) Ryan holds onto the ball way too long . Throw it away, our pull it down and run..either way- make your decision faster. This has been one of his problems since A&M.

This is nonsense. Tannehill was one of the FASTEST in the league to get rid of the ball. Easily top 10 in that stat.

This thread is classic. Wallace17Miami is not wrong about the fact that there definitely could be a 4 minute video pieced together of Tanny holding the ball a little too long or moving into/not feeling a defender near while in the pocket. I mean guys we all watched the games and we can all agree this is an area where we would all love to see him improve. Hes a young athletic QB who still has some maturing to do on the field. The guy was also completely handcuffed by poor o-line play and an inconsistent running game and had plenty of flashes of feeling the rush well and escaping. With time, Tanny is lethal and that is what we need to give him.

However, That video posted does no show "pocket presence". Is shows almost the same play over and over. The pocket/protection breaking down (Almost Instantly) at the Top of Tanny's drop forcing him to evade outside. It showcases his ability to throw on the run and break contain. But gives us zero evidence of him having to move up in the pocket, possible make a guy miss, and throw a crossing route for a chunk. Those are the plays that need to be broken down.

This thread is classic because people are hating on Wallace17Miami for saying Tanny has poor pocket awareness. Protect the franchise, thats cool with me. I never hate on Tanny.

But homeboy sitting at home saying that said posted video makes his case for Tanny's "Great" pocket presence is probably not as well vested a football fan as some of the other guys in these parts.

Tanny has pocket awareness, he's aware that the pocket is collapsing in 2.24 seconds

This thread is classic. Wallace17Miami is not wrong about the fact that there definitely could be a 4 minute video pieced together of Tanny holding the ball a little too long or moving into/not feeling a defender near while in the pocket. I mean guys we all watched the games and we can all agree this is an area where we would all love to see him improve. Hes a young athletic QB who still has some maturing to do on the field. The guy was also completely handcuffed by poor o-line play and an inconsistent running game and had plenty of flashes of feeling the rush well and escaping. With time, Tanny is lethal and that is what we need to give him.

However, That video posted does no show "pocket presence". Is shows almost the same play over and over. The pocket/protection breaking down (Almost Instantly) at the Top of Tanny's drop forcing him to evade outside. It showcases his ability to throw on the run and break contain. But gives us zero evidence of him having to move up in the pocket, possible make a guy miss, and throw a crossing route for a chunk. Those are the plays that need to be broken down.

This thread is classic because people are hating on Wallace17Miami for saying Tanny has poor pocket awareness. Protect the franchise, thats cool with me. I never hate on Tanny.

But homeboy sitting at home saying that said posted video makes his case for Tanny's "Great" pocket presence is probably not as well vested a football fan as some of the other guys in these parts.

Well said.

Honestly, if people would have a real conversation about RT with me, instead of just blindly protecting him, and blaming everything on the Oline, it would be really nice. I wouldn't have to just bash RT.

I think RT could develop into a legit starting QB. But the fact that many people on this board are unwilling to agree that his pocket presence needs improvement, and call it "above average" is just ridiculous. Besides the deep ball, that is his most glaring weakness, and one of the things that will hold him back if he doesn't improve upon it.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Tanny has pocket awareness, he's aware that the pocket is collapsing in 2.24 seconds

on the plays where he has time, and the pocket eventually collapses, he is completely unaware of the rush. Please explain how that is the olines fault.

I don't remember seeing anybody saying he has great pocket awareness just that its not as bad as advertised

Hence why everybody is hating on you. Make fun of anybody with an opinion differing from yours.

I just hate on people with blind opinions.

Must protect Tanchise. Can not say anything negative.

I just hate on people with blind opinions.

Must protect Tanchise. Can not say anything negative.

I said it wasn't great hence he needs improvement but it's clearly not below average. Show me an average qb with better awareness

I said it wasn't great hence he needs improvement but it's clearly not below average. Show me an average qb with better awareness

I disagree with you on the fact that you say he is average, I feel that he is below average.

Alex Smith, average QB, much better awareness.

Back
Top Bottom