Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness

Once again, it's charming how some "realists" love to use PFF's OL rankings to argue that they weren't the cause of most of those sacks -yet ignore
that the same analytical methodology they conveniently are embracing ALSO ranks Tannehill as the #7 QB last season. Go figure. :idk:

http://i.imgur.com/q3YFjIi.jpg

Kid is ok. I don't mind him as Qb right now. Get him some protection then I will make my decision.

I think he has that 6th sense that allows him to feel pressure coming from behind and it was much more evident his rookie season but he did regress in this area last season likely due to information overload. When the game "slows down" for him, which hopefully will happen this season, I think you'll see some of that natural awareness come back. That combined with a good LT and better protection from the RB should make our pass pro look like night and day. I really believe we're going to make huge strides on offense this season going from bottom 10 to top 10 with Tannehill breaking Marino's single season passing yards record.

Pocket presence is the ability to sense pressure and move within the pocket to avoid it. It includes the ability to sense pressure while keeping your eyes down field.

IMO, the internal clock is a separate issue. That is why Cosell mentioned pocket presence AND internal clock, not including his internal clock, not especially his internal clock, AND his internal clock.

It's not a separate issue. They're part of the same cog in how a QB's handles himself after the snap in avoiding the rush and getting the ball out. They're both instinctive.

It proved nothing. The video is pointless.

A few select plays which were the exception to the rule of the entire season show nothing.

Also unlike you, I don't need to be spoon fed a video to get my opinion. I just watched the games, and formulated my own opinion. I know it's something you aren't capable of, and I"m sorry for that. If you watched the games and had a clue, you'd see the same thing.

But you can't... you.... must.... protect.... ryans.... feelings.....

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

And because of this, he will never be a high level QB. He shows NO SIGNS of improving in this issue. It doesn't matter though, this is ryans last season anyway.

Care to put your money where you're mouth is?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It's not a separate issue. They're part of the same cog in how a QB's handles himself after the snap in avoiding the rush and getting the ball out. They're both instinctive.

Wrong. They are both part of playing QB from the pocket but are separate issues. You can have one but not the other. I have seen plenty of young QBs that have a good internal clock but can't sense pressure to save their lives. You end up with QBs that are running when pressure is not coming. Russell Wilson does this a lot.

IMO, there are (at least) four separate components to playing well from within the pocket:

1. Internal clock
2. Pocket presence (ability to feel pressure and know where there is room in the pocket to move).
3. Ability to keep focus down field
4. Footwork to move and get back to a good throwing position

You can have any of these without the others. Cosell was dinging Tannehill mostly on #1 and in comparison to the top QBs. I have read several articles praising Tannehill on #2. IMO, he is solid in his development for 2, 3, and 4, and the internal clock issue is only a problem on a small % of the plays.

Back
Top Bottom