S~MITCH MEEUWSEN ~ OREGON STATE (signed Miami) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

S~MITCH MEEUWSEN ~ OREGON STATE (signed Miami)

weisdolphins said:
We should have signed Rosegreen instead of this dude
Why is that? Did you ever think maybe Saban preferred Mitch over Junior?
You gotta be smart to do well at FS in Saban's defense. Mitch is like a coach on the field, whereas Rosegreen has been noted as not exactly being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I see alot of Oregon State Games and I think this guy could make the team and contribute. Which would be something for an undrafted guy.

He's got a good chance that that position...

As a USC alum it's not hard for me to remember this guy. He was a pain in the butt last year in one of the games I worried about when assessing the schedule. He blocked a field goal on our first scoring opportunity then picked off Leinart later on. I know there were plenty of tackles also, but mostly downfield.

I don't claim to know much about him otherwise. The announcers always mentioned him atop a telecast when they were introducing the Oregon State defense. I probably have an OSU game tape I could look at. I remember one game he got caught looking into the backfield too long and a slot receiver ran past him. Seemed like the type who relied on instincts and usually could get away with it at the collegiate level.

Meeuwsen was semifinalist for the Thorpe Award in '04. I think that says a lot about him. I watched a lot of Oregon State football and I personally thought that Browner was the better of the two, but Mitch plays at the same level as Browner. I just think Browner was more of a physical specimen. This guy was a 3rd team All American, 1st team All Pac 10 and he was a 1st team All American according to ESPN.com. The big question I have is....why didnt either of these guys get drafted? Was the draft that deep? Or was the safety/Cornerback position that much of a crapshoot?

Some major reaches were made especially by the Broncos, Colts, and the Raiders in terms of 2ndary picks.

I really like Drew Boylhart's profile on him from www.thehuddlereport.com
He has a colorful and interesting style when he writes about the various players, IMO.

by Drew Boylhart
SR Staff Writer
March 2005 Mitch Meeuwsen FS Oregon St
Strengths
Mitch has excellent size, strength and speed for his position. He shows excellent instincts and leadership qualities. He can cover sideline to sideline in a one deep safety system and has enough cover skills and size to cover the TE one on one in the passing game. Mitch is a good tackler and looks to have all the qualities to be an impact FS at the next level.

Needs to Improve
I know he is just a FS, but really! Someone has got to notice this kid before the draft or I think I’m going to bust a nut! He is another player that is playing in stealth mode.

Bottom Line
Free Safeties are taken for granted unless they can play both safety positions at the next level. Mitch could be a SS, but is not your lights-out hitting SS that everyone favors now. So maybe he is not being considered as highly as he should be. This is a player that has first day talent, but lots of times, may slip to day two because there are just more exciting players to pick ahead of him. If you need a leader in your secondary that will help your team the minute you draft him, then you need Mitch. The best aspect of his game is his instincts and the understanding of the situation that is at hand. He plays against his opponent’s offensive coordinator and seems to have the ability to put himself in their place. He is a pure defender -- the kind that drives QB’s crazy in the passing game and is as solid as they come in the running game.

Oboy said:
Nice read OrangeCrush... where is it from? Link? Just curious. THX.

Sorry. Not sure. One of the guys from our board (Broncosfreak.com) had a post on him. He was one of those players we were "hope he's there in the 6th"...

I'd never even heard of this kid before, but he sounds like he could be a gem. BTW, how do you pronounce his last name?

MrClean said:
I really like Drew Boylhart's profile on him from www.thehuddlereport.com
He has a colorful and interesting style when he writes about the various players, IMO.

by Drew Boylhart
SR Staff Writer
March 2005 Mitch Meeuwsen FS Oregon St
Strengths
Mitch has excellent size, strength and speed for his position. He shows excellent instincts and leadership qualities. He can cover sideline to sideline in a one deep safety system and has enough cover skills and size to cover the TE one on one in the passing game. Mitch is a good tackler and looks to have all the qualities to be an impact FS at the next level.

Needs to Improve
I know he is just a FS, but really! Someone has got to notice this kid before the draft or I think I’m going to bust a nut! He is another player that is playing in stealth mode.

Bottom Line
Free Safeties are taken for granted unless they can play both safety positions at the next level. Mitch could be a SS, but is not your lights-out hitting SS that everyone favors now. So maybe he is not being considered as highly as he should be. This is a player that has first day talent, but lots of times, may slip to day two because there are just more exciting players to pick ahead of him. If you need a leader in your secondary that will help your team the minute you draft him, then you need Mitch. The best aspect of his game is his instincts and the understanding of the situation that is at hand. He plays against his opponent’s offensive coordinator and seems to have the ability to put himself in their place. He is a pure defender -- the kind that drives QB’s crazy in the passing game and is as solid as they come in the running game.

He's in the mix for the FS spot in my opinion. I say he makes the roster. Saban is looking for big players and a big center fielder would help.

FireWrongstedt said:
I'd never even heard of this kid before, but he sounds like he could be a gem. BTW, how do you pronounce his last name?
Mew-sen

Jaj said:
He's in the mix for the FS spot in my opinion. I say he makes the roster. Saban is looking for big players and a big center fielder would help.
I think the key for the FS in Saban's defense is he must have top level football intelligence. This is Mitch all the way, he is like another coach on the field. Jack Hunt was the QB of the Tigers' defense in the National Championship season as the FS, and that is type of safety I would say Saban wants in Miami. Hunt is on our roster too, as you probably know. I saw though that he is currently on IR of an NFLE roster. Don't know what that is all about.

Meeuwseen is the better player though than Jack Hunt I'd say. He proved he's got good speed with his time 40 time. He can't turn around immediately like Eugene Wilson but the man will PICK THE BALL OFF...

6-3 with a 39.5 inch vertical can pick the ball like crazy.

Jaj said:
Meeuwseen is the better player though than Jack Hunt I'd say. He proved he's got good speed with his time 40 time. He can't turn around immediately like Eugene Wilson but the man will PICK THE BALL OFF...

6-3 with a 39.5 inch vertical can pick the ball like crazy.
I agree Mitch is a better prospect/player than Hunt. Though Hunt does already know the defense like the back of his hand. Mitch is smart enough to catch on quickly though. His speed is the least of my worries. He has shown his field speed is plenty good enough.
39.5" vertical is excellent...and they say white men can't jump. :)

FWIW, Sean Considine, who I was hoping for in round 4, has a 43" vertical.

Sean and Mitch are very similar players, except Sean's workout numbers are overall slightly better. When you consider though that we got Mitch as a free agent and the Eagles used a 4th for Sean, we got way more bang for the buck

MrClean said:
I agree Mitch is a better prospect/player than Hunt. Though Hunt does already know the defense like the back of his hand. Mitch is smart enough to catch on quickly though. His speed is the least of my worries. He has shown his field speed is plenty good enough.
39.5" vertical is excellent...and they say white men can't jump. :)

FWIW, Sean Considine, who I was hoping for in round 4, has a 43" vertical.

Sean and Mitch are very similar players, except Sean's workout numbers are overall slightly better. When you consider though that we got Mitch as a free agent and the Eagles used a 4th for Sean, we got way more bang for the buck

It's just strange to me in one way. This means we definitely won't be running a BB defense. BB has a tiny FS usually. Mitch is a pretty DAMN BIG FS.

Back
Top Bottom