Saban A Bust? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban A Bust?

DirkDiggler said:
I really have to say that as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on Saban but for all the hype about what a genius this guy is I just dont see it.

To be fair, Nick Sabans not the one calling himself a genious, everybody else is.

As Far as I am concerned the jury is still out on Saban. How can you say he is a better judge of talent??! Hell, he made us all watch a terrible Daunte Culpepper for 4 games that cost us the playoffs. Who judeged that talent?

Fin Fan in Cali said:
I think needs to give personnel decision making calls to Randy Mueller, and just let Nick be the coach. He is finding out just like Holmgren did in Seattle.

from Oceanside to Calabasas...we agree.

Saban4prez said:
Its hard to compensate for your best offensive weapon getting suspended for a year, your Starting QBs not healthy, Your rookie lineman who was finally going to fill a hole on your o line (Toledo) gets put on IR, Your starting runningback breaks his hand at a terrible time during the season, and on top of all that, he's had to deal with Alabama making media hell for him.

I hate sounding like im making excuses, i mean seriously, i really hate it. But to put it simply, a lot of the talent that was supposed to on the field for us this year didn't work out. But it will. Atleast i think so.

There are reasons for failure. But some of the things you listed for Saban are things that are similar yo Wanny went through. Injuries happen. (Trust me, I'm not defending Wanny. I wanted him gone badly).
AS for Ronnie breaking his hand: Well, I hate to say it but the drop off in production from the running back position was ZILCH. Sammy played very well in place of Ronnie and in fact averaged about 1/2 yard MORE per carry. The impact in the passing game without Ronnie wasn't felt because our passing game hasn't had much impact at all this season.

I'm not trying to throw Saban under a bus. But, really, I'm not convinced yet. I have to see alot more to get really excited.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
I think needs to give personnel decision making calls to Randy Mueller, and just let Nick be the coach. He is finding out just like Holmgren did in Seattle.

No doubt about it.

Hey Dirk your quite right for questioning Saban I think. Ive been questioning this also cause Ive watched my team bleed way too much for way too long.I know this year has been a hard pill to swallow and sometimes I think hes a nutcase but he has shown flashes of brilliance its his personnel moves that are questionable (like drafting Brown,trading for Culpepper,drafting Allen,hiring Mularkey.But I think hes a good coach just not a good GM.

Take a look at the other coaches who were hired the off-season as Saban and take a look at their records this year:
Mike Nolan-6-8
Saban-6-8
Romeo Crennel-4-10
I would say that Saban and Nolan are on their way up and will lead their teams to the playoffs after spending the past two offseasons drafting the guys that fit their system and bringing in the guys they want from the FA pool.

Take a look at the other coaches who were hired the off-season as Saban and take a look at their records this year:
Mike Nolan-6-8
Saban-6-8
Romeo Crennel-4-10
I would say that Saban and Nolan are on their way up and will lead their teams to the playoffs after spending the past two offseasons drafting the guys that fit their system and bringing in the guys they want from the FA pool.
All three of these guys are quality coaches. I find that there are just too many impatient and unrealistic fans, however. The NFL is not a Madden video game. You just can't expect a franchise to realistically turn things around overnight. Of course, there are examples when this happen, but I would suggest that luck has a lot to do with it. Take the NO Saints for example. Sean Payton has done a wonderful job and I would not suggest that he is not a contributing factor to the team's success. But look at the conference and division that he coaches in.
There are plenty of examples of fine NFL coaches that have had poor seasons. Look at Cowher, Bellichek, Fox and on and on. According to the logic of some on this site, Bill Cowher should be fired because the Steelers are not a lock to make the playoffs or Fox should get the axe because the PAnthers are on the brink.
To compare Saban to Wanny is just ridiculous. Saban is a much better evaluator of talent, is a better coach, teacher, and has instilled a much more competitive mentality in this team.
I'm disapointed in this year;s record but given the inuiry problems with DC -the most important position- it is not much of a surprise that the phins won't make the playoffs. The reason that the Dolphins started so poorly can be attributed to poor QB play and a defense and O-line that was out of rhythm. But I don't fault Saban for either of these things.
Miami needed to see what DC could bring to the table. The injury was such that the medical staff said it could not be aggravated, and DC actually looked physically strong. Saban knew that JH was not the answer and took a gamble that DC could perform well enough despite the injury.
The O-line was a work in progress the entire season. The injury issues at RG really set this group back. It already was lacking in talent- again, this was not Saban's fault- but the injuries and moves made it difficult to gel. Saban was required to make these moves at the expense of short term success but necessary for long term success and stability.
The defense that Saban has brought in is extrmeely complex. For the first half of the season, the players looked confused, however, the upsside is that once they understood the defense they began to dominate. AGain, short term growing pains but long term gain.
Fans need to be patient with this team and Saban. I think he is turning this team in the right direction. He's a tireless worker that brings intagibles to the team that were never apparent under Wanny. Be patient and remember: It's a Process.

Everybody knows saban is a great nfl coach. He has plan and just needs time. We need to stand behind him for the next 5, 10, 15, years whatever it takes. Even though we have the worst scoring offense in the history of the Dolphins, it's not Mularkey's fault. He's a great coach.:tantrum: He can only call the plays. The players have to execute. One more idiotic statement, even though he made the pro bowl last year, Chris Chambers is terrible. :sidelol:

Everybody knows saban is a great nfl coach. He has plan and just needs time. We need to stand behind him for the next 5, 10, 15, years whatever it takes. Even though we have the worst scoring offense in the history of the Dolphins, it's not Mularkey's fault. He's a great coach.:tantrum: He can only call the plays. The players have to execute. One more idiotic statement, even though he made the pro bowl last year, Chris Chambers is terrible. :sidelol:

umm......3 of the same post??
ok

and

the only thing the playcalling has been this year in conservative........sure as a dolphins fan I have been just as frustrated as the next fan. But.....IF..in your opinion..Saban is indeed a bust...who would you want as the Dolphins coach...

FF01

He's got 15 wins and 15 losses after 30 NFL games while rebuilding a team which bottome out before his arrival.

So how is he possibly earned the 'bust' label already????

I was impressed with Saban last year but he took a step backward this year with the signing of Mark Murlaky as his OC. This guy has to go!!! I know Saban will be the right move by bringing in a real OC.

I think Saban will get us into playoffs next year. The man knows what he is doing.

I don't like DW but so far Saban hasn't proven anything yet. At least Dave did get the FIns into playoffs twice...

I was impressed with Saban last year but he took a step backward this year with the signing of Mark Murlaky. This guy has to go!!!

I think Saban will get us into playoffs next year. The man knows what he is doing.

I don't like DW but so far Saban hasn't proven anything yet. At least Dave did get the FIns into playoffs twice...

I agree with the Mularkey signing....but it was out of necessity that he made a change at the oc position anyway. If at all possible, Linehan would still be here and we would absolutley LOVE our coordinators.

Back
Top Bottom