Saban A Bust? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban A Bust?

Some people see other teams doing things maybe a little faster or a different way and get envious. They want to see the exact same thing happen in Miami not realizing that there may be more than one way to skin a cat. Also not taking into account other factors such as 7th round picks (Was Colston in the 7th or a little higher, i dont' remember?) playing like a top 10 guy or QBs miraculously recovering from career threatening injuries. Things like that help make any coach look good. That being said I'll seriously be doubting Saban if he doesn't get into the playoffs next year. 3 years should be enough time to do that no matter which way you approach things.

Thats very true. They say three year to five but your right. If Saban doesnt get this team str8nd out by next year I dont think he will be here.

Matter of fact I will go one further, I guarantee anyone that if any coach who comes here and doesnt address the line problems wont be here for too long.

Saban has not been able to find a way to get his team off to a good start. They can never get out of the gates well enough. Last year the team got a fluke win over a Broncos team that was devastated by the heat, and another win because of a great play by Lance Schulters against the Panthers. Then the team nose dived and went into a funk. This year, the team just came out the gates in horrible fashion. However in both seasons, the team was able to rally and win a good number of games consecutively. Unless Saban can fix this trend, he will not be successful in Miami.

thats not true. It better to start off slow than fast and fade towards the end of the season. Correct me if im wrong, the fins were notorious for starting fast and fading towards the end of the season. Look no further than the 7-2 start back in 92 to see the team lose the remaining games.

The steelers proved the point that its always better to finish strong.

Both years we had brand new coordinators....I'm sure that this is not a trend that he intends to continue. But, he couldn't find the DC he was looking for last year....so Capers was a great decision this year. Linehan was a great decision last year....but he was given a HC job. Can't blame Saban for that. Mularkey looks like a bad hire, but he may be given another chance in the name of continuity.

Both years he has turned over a large portionof the roster. He inherited a team and it takes time to get your type of players in. Guarantee you will see less turnover this offseason.

I firmly believe that Saban could have tried some quick fix maneuvers and gotten this team to look better than it has in the short term. But that woudn't have served the purpose of making this a championship franchise for the long term.....which is his ultimate goal.

Parcells in Dallas is a good example. He went there and made the quick fixes....thinking that he could maybe win with what was there....and it looked good at first as he went 10-6. But then he realized that he needed "Parcells" guys and turned over the roster and went 6-10, then 9-7 last year, and now has a contending team. Even for a proven coach, it takes a few years to get your guys in place.....and it may not always look pretty while it's a work in progress.

Good example! good post but if Mularkey doesn't pan out next year that means we need to get a new OC and that could mean another potentially slow start to a season!

Both years we had brand new coordinators....I'm sure that this is not a trend that he intends to continue. But, he couldn't find the DC he was looking for last year....so Capers was a great decision this year. Linehan was a great decision last year....but he was given a HC job. Can't blame Saban for that. Mularkey looks like a bad hire, but he may be given another chance in the name of continuity.

Both years he has turned over a large portionof the roster. He inherited a team and it takes time to get your type of players in. Guarantee you will see less turnover this offseason.

I firmly believe that Saban could have tried some quick fix maneuvers and gotten this team to look better than it has in the short term. But that woudn't have served the purpose of making this a championship franchise for the long term.....which is his ultimate goal.

Parcells in Dallas is a good example. He went there and made the quick fixes....thinking that he could maybe win with what was there....and it looked good at first as he went 10-6. But then he realized that he needed "Parcells" guys and turned over the roster and went 6-10, then 9-7 last year, and now has a contending team. Even for a proven coach, it takes a few years to get your guys in place.....and it may not always look pretty while it's a work in progress.

nice post Burg.. but there are a ton of guys that see it completely different... they will argue he has not done near enough to purge our roster. I agree with you here and believe he did a pretty good job with the money and draft pick assets available. But that's pretty unpopular.

. Unless Saban can fix this trend, he will not be successful in Miami.

ironic that it was the inability to win at the end of the season has gotten all our previous coaches fired... I'm not refering to playoffs, but the annual swoon.

Good post. It takes time. Alot of people asy "well what about Sean Payton
and Johh Fox? They inherited a bad team and turned them around in one season." People fail to realize that these teams that were bad for years had high first round picks for years and players with friendly contracts but were never sucessful in putting a winning team together. Fastforward to today and those coaches were fired and replaced by Fox, Peyton, etc. A good coach comes in with a team that already had good talent. He just puts the pieces together and created a winning formula.

Saban hasnt had that success of getting a bad team with numerous talented players around him with high draft picks for years. This team only had a couple of superstars and they were on defense. The only superstar of offense was a running back that liked to smoke weed and was eventually suspended.

The fins organization never has had a losing tradition and when they did have a bad season it was usually 9-7. Once this team went 4-12 and that coach resigned. Saban has to now somehow aquire a alot of new talent of both sides of the ball. Saban only has one high draft pick and the previous seasons they were either traded or players that were picked up never played a down.

I hope you guys see what im getting to. Saban has his work cutout for him and it aint going to be solved in one to two years. I just hope some fans can be patient. I guess we will have to wait and see what he does next year and how we perform.

I think it's too early to tell how well he's doing in terms of creating a winning team, but it's not too early to judge whether his coaching philosophy is being put into practice in a way that distinguishes the team from other teams or gives it the sense of a unique identity Saban intended.

There are a million reasons people can think of to explain why we haven't made the playoffs for example, and many of them may be right, but I don't think there are nearly as many reasons to explain why this team doesn't appear to have a "stamp" on it that comes from Saban's presence or is a product of his coaching philosophy.

With the amount of roster turnover we've had, I think it's safe to say he has "his" players, which means the only explanation for the absence of this "stamp" or distinctive identity is that his message just isn't getting through. In fact, the "stamp" I do see is the opposite of the one Saban preaches: for the most part I see lack of discipline, lack of proper technique and execution, and inconsistency.

That to me is the biggest concern going on right now. I'm patient enough to wait for the things to happen that create a winning team, but if I don't see signs that Saban's philosophy is being put into practice effectively, and in fact what I'm seeing is the opposite of that, then things are starting to get a little concerning.

I think it's too early to tell how well he's doing in terms of creating a winning team, but it's not too early to judge whether his coaching philosophy is being put into practice in a way that distinguishes the team from other teams or gives it the sense of a unique identity Saban intended.

There are a million reasons people can think of to explain why we haven't made the playoffs for example, and many of them may be right, but I don't think there are nearly as many reasons to explain why this team doesn't appear to have a "stamp" on it that comes from Saban's presence or is a product of his coaching philosophy.

With the amount of roster turnover we've had, I think it's safe to say he has "his" players, which means the only explanation for the absence of this "stamp" or distinctive identity is that his message just isn't getting through. In fact, the "stamp" I do see is the opposite of the one Saban preaches: for the most part I see lack of discipline, lack of proper technique and execution, and inconsistency.

That to me is the biggest concern going on right now. I'm patient enough to wait for the things to happen that create a winning team, but if I don't see signs that Saban's philosophy is being put into practice effectively, and in fact what I'm seeing is the opposite of that, then things are starting to get a little concerning.

good post...Its gets old when people are saying saban needs to fired or wnhat has saban done. Its another thing to explain like you just have and identify a problem that alot of people overlook.

my biggest concern so far with what Saban has fielded is the lack of motivated play in some games... this years home opener is an example... sometimes for no obvious reason, we just don't show up.

I want somone to logically explain to me how Nick Saban is better then Wanny was. And spare me your Rah, rah, were a true fan crap! Where is the hope that next year will be any better?

........let the pigeons loose.

:lol:

I knew there had to be atleast a couple of these threads after last game. Didn't Harrington have something like a 0 passser rating? Yeah..let's blame Saban.

Let's see, Wanny took over a 11-5 team and turned it them into a 4-12 team.

Saban is taking over a 4-12 team and is building for the FUTURE... For some reason fans like you don't seem capable of comprehending this. Give the guy a few years before you try and chase him out of town. :shakeno:

I want somone to logically explain to me how Nick Saban is better then Wanny was. And spare me your Rah, rah, were a true fan crap! Where is the hope that next year will be any better?

........let the pigeons loose.

Well there is one difference here. Nick inhereited a bad team and has at least ried to make them better. Wanny started with a pretty decent team and drove it into the ground. Plus Wanny was to stubborn to change his Qb when his Qb obviously wasn't a starting caliber Qb to begin with.

Well there is one difference here. Nick inhereited a bad team and has at least ried to make them better. Wanny started with a pretty decent team and drove it into the ground. Plus Wanny was to stubborn to change his Qb when his Qb obviously wasn't a starting caliber Qb to begin with.

Sound familar? (JH)

Sound familar? (JH)

Not yet it doesn't Because how long did we have Fiedler throwing ducks out there. Personally I think Fiedler was a starter 4 yrs too long. I don't think Saban will make that same mistake. Plus who does he have to play besides CLeo. If Cleo had showed him enough he probably would be playing by now. Or maybe Nick is waiting for the right time. When that is only Nick knows.

Back
Top Bottom