Saban A Bust? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban A Bust?

Does the word impatient many anything to you?? It should. Saban is trying rebuild what was a perennial playoff team that Wanny left too old, without much talent and capped out to continue being one. It will take more than two years for this to happen. I know it difficult to do but try to be patient.

Well put!

Dirk has a legitimate question. What HAS Saban done to justify the praises that have been heaped upon him by most? I am more of a "show me" person. I don't fall in love with someone before they ever accomplish anything. Saban has my support, but he has done very little to win my confidence to this point. His personnel decisions (a lot of them) have been questionable. The overall team preparation has been inconsistent. His public coddling of the team blows me away sometimes. I like an approach more like Parcells has - call them out sometimes, push the pride buttons a little. Piss off the players. Being an NFL coach isn't a popularity contest. It's a win games contest. I'm not throwing out any compliments to Saban when he hasn't really earned any yet. Show me some results. REAL results. Get over the Wanny did this and Speilman did that excuse too. That era is over. There has been time to make much more significant improvements than we have. Is this team REALLY that much more talented than three, four, or five seasons ago? Overall, not by leaps and bounds - if at all. Saban is riding the same stars Wanny rode. Mainly Zach and JT. Ricky was a better back than Ronnie. (That's right - he was). Our wide reciever corp isn't way better. We still have Chris. We have Marty (was Gadsden) We have Wes now. Our o-line is no better. Our secondary is worse. Our overall Linebacking corp is not way better. Channing is up and coming. The most obvious upgrade is defensive line in terms of overall talent. But that was upgraded with aging players that aren't going to be around much longer anyway.

Not trying to be a downer. Just being realistic. I love the Dolphins. I want them to succeed. But I'm a realist. I don't put on my rose colored glasses that often. Gotta prove something to me first.

POST OF THE YEAR! Outstanding stuff, Scall. I think you said it best...we support the Fins, but we don't have confidence that Saban will turn this around. Lets hope he can.

Does the word impatient many anything to you?? It should. Saban is trying rebuild what was a perennial playoff team that Wanny left too old, without much talent and capped out to continue being one. It will take more than two years for this to happen. I know it difficult to do but try to be patient.

Some people see other teams doing things maybe a little faster or a different way and get envious. They want to see the exact same thing happen in Miami not realizing that there may be more than one way to skin a cat. Also not taking into account other factors such as 7th round picks (Was Colston in the 7th or a little higher, i dont' remember?) playing like a top 10 guy or QBs miraculously recovering from career threatening injuries. Things like that help make any coach look good. That being said I'll seriously be doubting Saban if he doesn't get into the playoffs next year. 3 years should be enough time to do that no matter which way you approach things.

Dirk...not to come off as rude, but you've already made it clear that you hate Ronnie, Saban etc., there's NOTHING anybody can do or say here to change your mind. So why bother posting this except to start a flame war?

This is unfair. He asked a legit question, and to this point, there hasn't been any flaming.

Dirk has a legitimate question. What HAS Saban done to justify the praises that have been heaped upon him by most? I am more of a "show me" person. I don't fall in love with someone before they ever accomplish anything. Saban has my support, but he has done very little to win my confidence to this point. His personnel decisions (a lot of them) have been questionable. The overall team preparation has been inconsistent. His public coddling of the team blows me away sometimes. I like an approach more like Parcells has - call them out sometimes, push the pride buttons a little. Piss off the players. Being an NFL coach isn't a popularity contest. It's a win games contest. I'm not throwing out any compliments to Saban when he hasn't really earned any yet. Show me some results. REAL results. Get over the Wanny did this and Speilman did that excuse too. That era is over. There has been time to make much more significant improvements than we have. Is this team REALLY that much more talented than three, four, or five seasons ago? Overall, not by leaps and bounds - if at all. Saban is riding the same stars Wanny rode. Mainly Zach and JT. Ricky was a better back than Ronnie. (That's right - he was). Our wide reciever corp isn't way better. We still have Chris. We have Marty (was Gadsden) We have Wes now. Our o-line is no better. Our secondary is worse. Our overall Linebacking corp is not way better. Channing is up and coming. The most obvious upgrade is defensive line in terms of overall talent. But that was upgraded with aging players that aren't going to be around much longer anyway.

Not trying to be a downer. Just being realistic. I love the Dolphins. I want them to succeed. But I'm a realist. I don't put on my rose colored glasses that often. Gotta prove something to me first.

This is a good analysis. Plus, Saban is still stuck with a QB mess, like Wanny. If we think fans are too impatient, we better PRAY that Daunte's knee heals for next year. If his knee is toast, and we have to draft a QB and wait for him to develop, things will get ugly. We will be stuck with Harrington, who is doing a mighty good Fiedler impersonation.

Next year is critical for Saban. The young guys in his first 2 drafts need to step up. He needs to make a few key upgrades in free agency. Plus have another good draft.

So what you guys are saying is that no one is allowed to criticize nick? You think the problems are all about the players? Since you guys seem to be students of verbose vocabulary, maybe you could quantify the multiplicity of ways that you feel Nick has expedited positive growth this year. While revealing your thesis please pay special attention to one of the first decisions he made that being the Daunte vs. Harrington decision.

Excellent post.

Break it into a few more paragraphs and it would be very readable. White space is good.

Disclaimer: I'm a Jet's fan and very quick to call out incompetent management. That said, what exactly has Saban done to inspire confidence in the future course of the Dolphins? I see a lot of aging and questionable free agents imported to win now, when winning now wasn't likely to happen anyway.

Take a look at the other coaches who were hired the off-season as Saban and take a look at their records this year:
Mike Nolan-6-8
Saban-6-8
Romeo Crennel-4-10
I would say that Saban and Nolan are on their way up and will lead their teams to the playoffs after spending the past two offseasons drafting the guys that fit their system and bringing in the guys they want from the FA pool.

But the difference is we are the second oldest team in the league.

There are plenty of examples of fine NFL coaches that have had poor seasons. Look at Cowher, Bellichek, Fox and on and on. According to the logic of some on this site, Bill Cowher should be fired because the Steelers are not a lock to make the playoffs or Fox should get the axe because the PAnthers are on the brink.
To compare Saban to Wanny is just ridiculous. Saban is a much better evaluator of talent, is a better coach, teacher, and has instilled a much more competitive mentality in this team.

Comparing Saban to Cowher, Bilicheck, and Fox (and any other coach who took his team to the SB) is more ludicrous than comparing Saban to Wannstedt. As a matter of fact, Wannstedt took a team to a division title and won a playoff game. Saban never has.

He's got 15 wins and 15 losses after 30 NFL games while rebuilding a team which bottome out before his arrival.

So how is he possibly earned the 'bust' label already????

Let me ask your opinion on this...if Ronnie Brown had been with Fins in 04, would they have won more than 4 games?

Let me ask your opinion on this...if Ronnie Brown had been with Fins in 04, would they have won more than 4 games?

Yes, probably more than 4, but not many more. Maybe 5 or 6. quarterbacking was bad, o-line was bad. the defense was bad. coaching was bad. morale was bad. Ronnie wouldn't helped with much of that.

why do you ask?

Here's Saban's Problem

Saban has not been able to find a way to get his team off to a good start. They can never get out of the gates well enough. Last year the team got a fluke win over a Broncos team that was devastated by the heat, and another win because of a great play by Lance Schulters against the Panthers. Then the team nose dived and went into a funk. This year, the team just came out the gates in horrible fashion. However in both seasons, the team was able to rally and win a good number of games consecutively. Unless Saban can fix this trend, he will not be successful in Miami.

Saban has not been able to find a way to get his team off to a good start. They can never get out of the gates well enough. Last year the team got a fluke win over a Broncos team that was devastated by the heat, and another win because of a great play by Lance Schulters against the Panthers. Then the team nose dived and went into a funk. This year, the team just came out the gates in horrible fashion. However in both seasons, the team was able to rally and win a good number of games consecutively. Unless Saban can fix this trend, he will not be successful in Miami.

Both years we had brand new coordinators....I'm sure that this is not a trend that he intends to continue. But, he couldn't find the DC he was looking for last year....so Capers was a great decision this year. Linehan was a great decision last year....but he was given a HC job. Can't blame Saban for that. Mularkey looks like a bad hire, but he may be given another chance in the name of continuity.

Both years he has turned over a large portionof the roster. He inherited a team and it takes time to get your type of players in. Guarantee you will see less turnover this offseason.

I firmly believe that Saban could have tried some quick fix maneuvers and gotten this team to look better than it has in the short term. But that woudn't have served the purpose of making this a championship franchise for the long term.....which is his ultimate goal.

Parcells in Dallas is a good example. He went there and made the quick fixes....thinking that he could maybe win with what was there....and it looked good at first as he went 10-6. But then he realized that he needed "Parcells" guys and turned over the roster and went 6-10, then 9-7 last year, and now has a contending team. Even for a proven coach, it takes a few years to get your guys in place.....and it may not always look pretty while it's a work in progress.

Back
Top Bottom