Saban “I hate it...” | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban “I hate it...”

When it comes to the draft, I genuinely want an Impact Player @5. Whether that's Tua or insert name here, we cant afford to miss at #5.

If we select Tua at #5 is that getting an impact player? He may/may not play next year … he may/may not get hurt AGAIN …. yes he has the background that screams "generational" talent but if he doesn't play until 2021 are you ok with that? I would be ok if he falls like Johnny football did and we can grab him at 18 or 26 but at #5 my hope is we get an impact game changer that starts in 2020 … NOT OL …

Agreed...

I dont see us spending all the cap space in one crazy burst.
Sign one premium free agent... maybe two... and then shop for reasonably priced role players.
the new CBA agreement better extend our roll over money then ! otherwise what was the point of all the clear out?

He traded the best free safety in the league for the 18th pick in round one.

Grier didn't trade him for the 18th pick … unless he's Nostradamus … he traded a player that didn't want to be part of this rebuild … it turned out to be #18 but it could have been better/worse …

Grier gets a lot of hate here but I believe "his decisions" are based on a few things and one of them is input from his HC and the system/scheme the HC is implementing … we have had some doozy HC's and they are gone … Flo has earned some respect so far and I believe things will look different this time around

At #5? I don't see that at all.

They are between a rock, and a hard place though.

I guess it all depends on how Flo feels about Rosen going forward, and what trade up opportunities are with #18 and #26.
No should clarify wouldn't mind Simmons from Clemson at 5 or even drop back a couple if we could still get him. Love I would suspect will last to maybe 18.

No should clarify wouldn't mind Simmons from Clemson at 5 or even drop back a couple if we could still get him. Love I would suspect will last to maybe 18.
He probably will, perhaps even 26.

Of the two, I prefer Herbert, and I suspect he won't last past Atlanta at 16, and will probably be taken before then.

It's really hard to say for sure, because I see a lot of movement in the draft this year, and the combine can really change perceptions of individual players.

I am a FIRM believer in doing one's best to ignore the combine as much as possible.
Sure, the interview process is important... and it's nice to get true physical measurements for the prospects, but waaay too many people fall in love with some guy's 3 cone time and then ignore the fact that the guy can't diagnose or cover.
Set up your board BEFORE the combine and then don't alter it more than a half round or so.

I am a FIRM believer in doing one's best to ignore the combine as much as possible.
Sure, the interview process is important... and it's nice to get true physical measurements for the prospects, but waaay too many people fall in love with some guy's 3 cone time and then ignore the fact that the guy can't diagnose or cover.
Set up your board BEFORE the combine and then don't alter it more than a half round or so.
I would agree to a certain extent.

In some cases, though, a guy can prove his percieved flaws as being overblown.

As an example, Fromm is perceived as having a weak arm, and can't make the NFL level deep outs. A flaw like that limits his ceiling, and if he shows better than expected, his value increases substantially.

I'm not advocating for him, just an example.

Well... I'd still be reluctant to move anyone up more than a half round or so, but I suppose that if someone completely defied expectations... I'd be willing to take a second look at their game film and see why the earlier belief was wrong.

Well... I'd still be reluctant to move anyone up more than a half round or so, but I suppose that if someone completely defied expectations... I'd be willing to take a second look at their game film and see why the earlier belief was wrong.
Understand, but half a round is huge in rd1, and not insignificant even in rd2.

Personally, I don't think we are going to be going after any top 5 free agents at any position. I see us much more restrained and operating more like the Colts area. There are a few players available that I could see us targeting at key positions

RB
- Jordan Howard
- Carlos Hyde

TE
- Eric Ebron
- Ricky Seals-Jones

Offensive Line
- DJ Humphries
- Joe Haeg (plays every position on the offensive line other than Center)

Defensive Line
- Quinton Jefferson
- Shelby Harris
- Javone Hargrave

Safety
- Tre Boston
- Karl Joseph
- Ha Ha Clinton Dix
- Justin Simmons (this one may get a bit pricey)

I would also be on the lookout for a new punter as well as Haack is just a bit too inconsistent for my taste

The goal here is to continue to build upon the foundation we laid last year. That doesn't necessarily mean to get the best players, it may mean the most versatile players, or players that are selected for better depth. Regardless, these are just a few of the players I could see us targeting in the off-season.

speculation:

the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

There is so much of it lately and with good reason(s). Many thread topics get way off target ...debates are fierce … arguments erupt … Mods are throwing out warnings left and right lol … passionate posters sometimes vehemently stating their case
ad nauseam:
referring to something that has been done or repeated so often that it has become annoying or tiresome.
:funny:

Bring in your Dolphins hopes, trade ideas, free agent wish list and don't even worry about sources lol … rumors are welcome as well as anything that you think or wish could/would happen …

I'm still thinking we stay at #5 and go with the FLO lol … we made an investment in Rosen and the OC couldn't make it work so he got replaced … we will ride with Fitz and Rosen in 2020 and continue to build our team with the extra picks while stockpiling even more for next season … we will draft a QB but it may not be the #5 selection …

Do you disagree? Tell me why it doesn't make sense … I mean SOMEBODY has to be right after the dust settles

C'mon man … have some fun and enjoy the ride … it's been too long since relevancy and we deserve something good for a change … some of you are taking this waaaaay to serious (I mean we don't control anything inside Dolphins HQ)

No offense to anyone out there … I respect the hell out many of you with the knowledge you share and have learned quite a bit from a bunch of you … Really appreciate the details and research that many have done … in the end though it's mostly speculation when it comes to thinking we know what the Fins are up to

I think we roll with Fitz/Rosen in 2020 then take Okudah if he’s there, then LT and DE/LB 1st round. We may take a QB like Love/Fromm late 1st/2nd

I am not sure how you say Grier came out ahead in trades. He traded the best free safety in the league for the 18th pick in round one. I seriously doubt they will find a player with the 18th pick who has the talent of Fitzpatrick. I think having to trade Fitzpatrick because the head coach was too stubborn to just let Fitzpatrick play one position in the secondary will likely go down as the worst trade in Dolphin history.

While getting 2 #1’s and a second round pick for Tunsil might seem like a great trade. The fact is they still have to draft a LT and there are not any LT’s in the draft after the top 10 draft picks who appear to be as talented as Tunsil at the LT position. If they don’t draft Thomas at 5, whoever they do eventually draft at LT is likely not going to be nearly the player a Tunsil is.

While Grier did okay in getting draft picks in the later rounds for some of the veteran players who weren’t going to be part of the future anyway. How effective he really was in these trades will only be determined
in the future by how well these drafted players play in the NFL.

I don’t have a lot of confidence in Grier when it comes to draft day but hopefully he has hired the right people around him and he will listen to them when it comes to selecting the best available players on draft day. The fact is that Grier has been a part of the teams draft process for the last 20 years and it is because of how lousy this team has done in the draft over all those years that they are in the position they are in today.

Hopefully Grier proves me wrong but if he doesn‘t we are looking at several more years of mediocre play on the field or worse.
Did you happen to catch any of Tunsil's play this year? He played a lot like he did when he was here, very inconsistently. I say 2 #1's and a two for a pedestrian LT is pretty good. Fitz didn't want to buy in to the program. He had a couple of good games then disappeared. He may be a stud eventually, then again we may get a starter that develops to something special over time. That book has not been written. I like the combo of Coach-GM in this matter. We should get a minimum of 3 starters, possibly/hopefully 5 in the first two rounds. That's not possible without those picks...

Back
Top Bottom