Saban “I hate it...” | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban “I hate it...”

Personally, I don't think we are going to be going after any top 5 free agents at any position. I see us much more restrained and operating more like the Colts area. There are a few players available that I could see us targeting at key positions

RB
- Jordan Howard
- Carlos Hyde

TE
- Eric Ebron
- Ricky Seals-Jones

Offensive Line
- DJ Humphries
- Joe Haeg (plays every position on the offensive line other than Center)

Defensive Line
- Quinton Jefferson
- Shelby Harris
- Javone Hargrave

Safety
- Tre Boston
- Karl Joseph
- Ha Ha Clinton Dix
- Justin Simmons (this one may get a bit pricey)

I would also be on the lookout for a new punter as well as Haack is just a bit too inconsistent for my taste

The goal here is to continue to build upon the foundation we laid last year. That doesn't necessarily mean to get the best players, it may mean the most versatile players, or players that are selected for better depth. Regardless, these are just a few of the players I could see us targeting in the off-season.

I agree … Flo has shown (so far) his ability to get more than expected from players so grabbing the top FA's doesn't seem like a "necessity" …

I'll take a shot. Making the assumption that these players will make it to free agency.

Free Agency:
Chris Jones DT/DE --- He gives the team versatility and is only 27. Probably better than Armstead.
Yannick Ngakoue DE --- Pass rusher. Opens up the draft for offense. Just 25, will be very expensive.
Joe Thuney G --- From NE. Solid.

That's probably close to $60 million right there and seems counter to what we are hearing from Miami's front office. But, hey this is for fun. Signing those two star defensive lineman really opens up the draft to go offense.

Draft:
1. Tua QB Alabama
1. Wirfs OT, Iowa
1. Swift RB, Georgia
2. Arnette, CB, Ohio State
2. Taylor, DE Tennessee
3. Moss, TE LSU
4. Dillon, RB Boston College

With the remaining picks, I'd continue to build the offensive line, find a safety, go BPA. Not sure if Miami has two, third rounders. I've lost track. I think the team has 14 draft picks.

QB's --- Tua, Fitzpatrick, Rosen
WR's --- D. Parker, Williams, Ford, Grant, Wilson, Hurns
RB's --- Swift, Dillon, Cox, Laird, Gaskins
TE's --- Geisicki, Moss, Smythe,Walford
OL --- Wirfs, Thuney, Kilgore, Deiter, Davenport, Davis, Boehm, Calhoun
DL -- Ngakoue, Jones, Wilkins, Godchaux, Taylor, Charlton, Jenkins, Ledbetter
LB's --- McMillan, Baker, Biegel, Equavoen, Van Ginkel,
DB's -- Arnette, Aikens, Hartage, Needham, S. Parker, Rowe, Howard, Wiltz, Jones, McCain
K's --- Haack, Sanders

Here's what I am thinking for what it's worth:

I think we will stay at 5 and draft Tua. I am not a Tua fan and would prefer Okudah or Thomas. I think the front office are Tua fans and he will be a Dolphin.
We will not spend heavily in FA .
I think if we trade 18 it will be up for a specific player instead of down. However, i think if we trade pick 26, it will be down as there may not be 26 players with 1st round grades in this draft.
We will draft 2 CB's early as I think X is out of here at the 1st offer at a 2nd rounder or above.
I don't think they will draft RB until day 3 but will draft 2 of those.
Jones and Harris will definitely be gone.

My speculation: we want Tua and have wanted him. Thus, he is our first pick- regardless if we trade up or not. Free agency will bring in some solid starters and depth / role players. We then fill out the roster with the best bpa approach we can but that always just depends..

To start free agency- I’m cutting Reshad Jones and Bobby McCain. Wilson is safe for now. Ideally we sign Thuney. Sign Justin Simmons or Anthony Harris. Those players all will get huge contracts and break the bank, but for OL at least, I’m willing. I would then target signing a new OT who can hopefully start, but know we need be drafting plenty of OL. I would sign Logan Ryan to play the slot cb position. Sign a veteran DL. Maybe fill out the roster with some more cheaper guys. For the draft, I’m definitely adding someone to be our new featured back. But wouldn’t be opposed to a free agent runningback to help split the load. Draft also needs to include plentiful OL and DBs among other needs

It kind of depends on draft. Like, If we draft a Center, we can cut Kilgore. If not, we keep him.

I would cut Jones, only cut I can think of.

I would not break the bank on anyone but Joe Thuney. We desperately need a guard.

I would look for quality starters, but not elite. We have to find an LT, if need be we can get Trent Williams as a one year stop gap.

I would look for a good LB.

And, next year I would trade Xavien Howard for a 1st round pick. Do it now while you still can.

I watched the East West Shrine Bowl yesterday. There are about 10 guys from that game who jumped out.
Would not surprise me AT al if we went Isaiah Simmons at 5, and then took a long look at QB James Morgan FIU. The draft analyst guy from NFL Network said the only knock on him is some down field accuracy but it has to do with footwork and is easily correctable. Otherwise, great size, strong arm, he was putting the ball on a spot with guys he had only practiced with for a week. Said he was the best interview of the week.
Morgan does not need to start or play AT ALL next year. If Fitz is happy and producing, let Morgan sit a second year even, and learn. Build the lines. I think this team is looking long term. I don't think they are putting exaggerated deadlines on things. But once the team gets put together- I really think Flores' Year 4 is the year- this project will look very different from now, and will look how they foresee it looking into the future.
I have not seen Morgan play during the season, and I don't like going after a Flavor of the Day, but man, looked good.

Grier didn't trade him for the 18th pick … unless he's Nostradamus … he traded a player that didn't want to be part of this rebuild … it turned out to be #18 but it could have been better/worse …

Grier gets a lot of hate here but I believe "his decisions" are based on a few things and one of them is input from his HC and the system/scheme the HC is implementing … we have had some doozy HC's and they are gone … Flo has earned some respect so far and I believe things will look different this time around
I realize Grier was forced to trade Fitzpatrick because Flores was too stubborn to play Fitzpatrick at one position. I blame Flores totally for having to trade Fitzpatrick but I doubt seriously Grier will be able to find a player at 18 who will be as talented as Fitzpatrick.

Also I don’t hate Grier. I just question if he is the right man for the GM position because he has been with the team for 20 years and the GM for the last 4 years and the Dolphins just have not had a lot of talent on the roster during those years. I certainly want Grier to have success because as a fan since 1966, I have no idea how many more seasons I will be around to wait on them finally becoming a good team again. Just because I question if he is the right man for the job certainly doesn’t mean I hate him.

If Grier is true to his word, Miami will be very aggressive in F/A. It was apparent last year, they were acting with extreme caution, with regards to over paying for any F/A. That may change in 2020? With the strength of F/A being Offensive Line, I'm hopeful they'll be able to sign at the very least, one starting caliber player, perhaps two?

Did you happen to catch any of Tunsil's play this year? He played a lot like he did when he was here, very inconsistently. I say 2 #1's and a two for a pedestrian LT is pretty good. Fitz didn't want to buy in to the program. He had a couple of good games then disappeared. He may be a stud eventually, then again we may get a starter that develops to something special over time. That book has not been written. I like the combo of Coach-GM in this matter. We should get a minimum of 3 starters, possibly/hopefully 5 in the first two rounds. That's not possible without those picks...
So you are implying that Tunsil, a player who Grier drafted and Fitzpatrick, a player who you state has a few good games and then disappeared and Grier also drafted just aren’t that good anyway and Grier was able to frisk the draft picks from both of these teams.

If neither of these former first round draft picks are not really that good, it makes me more worried about Grier making the selections in the draft. Because Harris has been a bust, Wilkins was average on the defensive line and according to you Tunsil and Fitzpatrick were no big losses. Those 4 players were the first round draft picks since Grier became the teams GM in 2016. One bust, one pedestrian LT, (your term), a mediocre Defensive lineman and a player who according to you who MIGHT eventually become a stud doesn’t say much about Grier‘s ability to draft talented players in the first round. Yet this is the man responsible for selecting 3 players in round 1 this year and likely 2 players in the first round next year.

One more issue regarding Fitzpatrick not wanting to buy into the system. The fact is the defensive system sucked and that is why the Dolphins defense was the worst defense in the NFL. I think Fitzpatrick was smart enough to realize that the defense the Dolphins wanted to implement was a bad defense and therefore he wanted nothing to do with it.

So you are implying that Tunsil, a player who Grier drafted and Fitzpatrick, a player who you state has a few good games and then disappeared and Grier also drafted just aren’t that good anyway and Grier was able to frisk the draft picks from both of these teams.

If neither of these former first round draft picks are not really that good, it makes me more worried about Grier making the selections in the draft. Because Harris has been a bust, Wilkins was average on the defensive line and according to you Tunsil and Fitzpatrick were no big losses. Those 4 players were the first round draft picks since Grier became the teams GM in 2016. One bust, one pedestrian LT, (your term), a mediocre Defensive lineman and a player who according to you who MIGHT eventually become a stud doesn’t say much about Grier‘s ability to draft talented players in the first round. Yet this is the man responsible for selecting 3 players in round 1 this year and likely 2 players in the first round next year.

One more issue regarding Fitzpatrick not wanting to buy into the system. The fact is the defensive system sucked and that is why the Dolphins defense was the worst defense in the NFL. I think Fitzpatrick was smart enough to realize that the defense the Dolphins wanted to implement was a bad defense and therefore he wanted nothing to do with it.
It's not Minkahs call to make though.

There is fault by both parties here. Flo may have handled it differently had the player been more professional. Once he went the social media route, and his mommy ran her mouth, it then became public, and a matter of will, and that was a fight Flo was not about to lose.

here we go … the great debate? … power running against elite QB!!! Which way will the ball bounce... let's hope for a great game …

To start free agency- I’m cutting Reshad Jones and Bobby McCain.

:hclap:

McCain is ok for depth I guess but we def need upgrading there … got no love/like/interest in Jones …. quit on his team … against the Jets (If I remember correctly) …

And, next year I would trade Xavien Howard for a 1st round pick. Do it now while you still can.

I agree … time to move on and get something before he becomes nothing … injury concerns for me long term … do it now

Just because I question if he is the right man for the job certainly doesn’t mean I hate him.
I'm with you my friend … wasn't calling you out … just saying, in general, the man shoulders a lot of blame for trying to appease the idiots we have had imitating an NFL head coach and the ridiculous contracts we have handed out for people putting the cart before the horse (T-bomb) … no offense intended

Back
Top Bottom