Said Dan Marino today about Tua: "I think he is a quarterback that can get to, and win a Super Bowl." | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Said Dan Marino today about Tua: "I think he is a quarterback that can get to, and win a Super Bowl."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stunk in the playoffs? You did see the 20-3 come from behind in the 4th w 3 straight TD drives to beat Cleveland (who ran for about 300 on us that day), or coming back to beat the Chiefs in the final seconds in ‘90? Or outdueling Montana in the ‘94 playoffs for a great win? But ok, he stunk in the playoffs. Cmon man.
Marino had a 44% winning percentage in the playoffs vs. a 62% winning percentage in the regular season. His TD:INT ratio was way worse, his QB rating was 10 points lower in the playoffs than in the regular season.

I'm not ignorant, I'm stating facts. And I think Marino was great. My point was that many here seem to be using selective reasoning about Tua's performances against better teams and in the playoffs in his very young career. I simply think we should give the kid more time to prove himself before people are convinced of what he will or won't do for the entirety of his career.

Typical Finheaven knows more about playing QB than Dan Marino. Makes sense!
I think it’s mostly younger fans that didn’t see him play, nor see anyone play in that era so they can’t get their head around context. It’d be like me commenting on Otto Graham or Bobby Lane - just best to leave it alone. The stats - out of context - mean nothing. It wasn’t long ago when an 80 QBR would lead the league as Griese did in ‘77 w that score. Today an 80 sucks so badly that means Tim Boyle is better than you

LOL What else is he going to say? He is an employee of the team and even if he wasn't, do you see Dan as the type to throw the current Dolphin QB under the bus?
If Dan didn't believe Tua has what it takes to lead the team to a SB, he would have said nothing at all, IMO. In any case, Dan stating this doesn't do much for me in moving the needle on my outlook for this team lead by Tua. From what we've seen thus far, it appears the dolphins will need home games to make a deep playoff run

Marino had a 44% winning percentage in the playoffs vs. a 62% winning percentage in the regular season. His TD:INT ratio was way worse, his QB rating was 10 points lower in the playoffs than in the regular season.

I'm not ignorant, I'm stating facts. And I think Marino was great. My point was that many here seem to be using selective reasoning about Tua's performances against better teams and in the playoffs in his very young career. I simply think we should give the kid more time to prove himself before people are convinced of what he will or won't do for the entirety of his career.
Agree w the 2nd part not the first. See Elway or anyone one else from 80’s to early 90’s. Their efficiency all went down significantly. I posted Elways numbers over same era. They went way down comparatively

Yep. While at it, the ignorant poster should look at Elways playoff stats too. All the greats playoff numbers went down in that era vs regular season.

Edit:

Elway QBR in playoffs 80’s to early 90’s era:

And during that time he got to 3 SBs

Marino QBR in playoffs during 80’s to early 90’s era

Kinda shows what DMAS is saying. Can’t look at QBR across eras. Heck, Johnny Unitas had like a career 70 something QBR regular season and playoffs.

Stop w the nonsense. Marino was clutch. He put the team on his back and won games we shouldn’t have won. Very often. So did Elway for that matter. No need to **** on Tua but I don’t know how this thread turned into a **** on Dan one.
Elway was 14-7 in the playoffs, went to 5 Super Bowls, and won 2. There is no comparison between the 2 in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY based on many posters' view that only wins and losses matter.

Again, I'm not shitting on Marino. I'm defending Tua (so far).

One look at the oline film is all Dan needs to know Tua aint the problem

Dan would have screamed at those clowns if they pulled that **** in front of him.
Personally, I think Dan made Webb and Simms look better than they were. Our lines back then certainly couldn’t run block.

Anyways, I wasn’t arguing that Dan thinks Tua is the main problem only that comparisons between Tua and Marino are kinda absurd in my mind.

I mean if Dan Marino was somehow magically in his prime again and playing for Miami, Tua would immediately be an afterthought.

Personally, I think Dan made Webb and Simms look better than they were. Our lines back then certainly couldn’t run block.

Anyways, I wasn’t arguing that Dan thinks Tua is the main problem only that comparisons between Tua and Marino are kinda absurd in my mind.

I mean if Dan Marino was somehow magically in his prime again and playing for Miami, Tua would immediately be an afterthought.
Dan wouldnt last a second behind our oline today.

The same way that Dan made his oline look like all-pros, Tua made his oline look acceptable at times.

If he says Tua can or can't win a Super Bowl, means nothing either way.
Agreed 100%. And if it doesn't matter what Marino says, it surely doesn't matter what the "Tua can never win anything" crowd here says.

No one knows. Let's just see what actually happens.

The Tua decision is one dilemma but more importantly, is the list of other issues on every part of this team. Def, Off, ST, and even admin. I would say the one fairly constant thing is QB who may not be elite but certainly above average. We take 1 step forward, two back every damn year. It's no secret that's why we are perennial losers.

Elway was 14-7 in the playoffs, went to 5 Super Bowls, and won 2. There is no comparison between the 2 in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY based on many posters' view that only wins and losses matter.

Again, I'm not shitting on Marino. I'm defending Tua (so far).
Right but Elway got those SBs when he was an old, decrepit human. Look at his QBR in the SB vs GB. Wasn’t it like 39? When he was great, his teams were losing 55-10 and 42-10 and 38-whatever in non-contested SBs that were all over by the second quarter. You saw his QBR in playoffs during that era right? It was worse than Dan’s by a good amount. Winning a playoff game is a team event. Even more so prior to the QB rule changes in 2004. Now a QB can mask the deficiencies to a degree. Not before that. No QB ever “stole” a SB when they were on the weaker team.

PS
I agree in defending Tua.

Right but Elway got those SBs when he was an old, decrepit human. Look at his QBR in the SB vs GB. Wasn’t it like 39? When he was great, his teams were losing 55-10 and 42-10 and 38-whatever in non-contested SBs that were all over by the second quarter. You saw his QBR in playoffs during that era right? It was worse than Dan’s by a good amount. Winning a playoff game is a team event. Even more so prior to the QB rule changes in 2004. Now a QB can mask the deficiencies to a degree. Not before that. No QB ever “stole” a SB when they were on the weaker team.
That's my entire point. Wins and losses don't necessarily define a QB's performance or career worth. I would take Marino over Elway in a heartbeat, but Elway has the more meaningful wins by a landslide. Team matters. Coaching matters.

That's the issue I have with all the naysayers saying Tua sucks, the Dolphins will never win in the playoffs with him, and he needs to go because he hasn't won anything of significance yet. They wouldn't apply that same logic to many other QBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom