Said Dan Marino today about Tua: "I think he is a quarterback that can get to, and win a Super Bowl." | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Said Dan Marino today about Tua: "I think he is a quarterback that can get to, and win a Super Bowl."

Status
Not open for further replies.
And still led the league in passing yardage and was up there in passing TD's and QB rating

Go figure :shrug:

P.S. the weak arm part not so much. Not a cannon but more 20 yard plus passes than anyone

I was not happy how the season ended but let not throw the baby out with the bath water as they say
If the Dolphins decided to trade Tua and ended up looking for his replacement for the next 20 years, the anti-Tua
crowd would get exactly what they deserve.

Fortunately Grier and MCDaniel are a lot smarter than the posters on here who want to get rid of Tua.

Last edited:
We will have to agree to disagree here. Marino wasn’t the perfect QB but he had a ridiculous release and uncanny ability to sidestep pressure and deliver the ball downfield. He was also great on the roll out. He was one of those cats that seemed better off script. He got hit more in an average game back in the day than he likely ever would in today’s league regardless of how bad his line was. He was made for today’s NFL.

Get on YouTube and watch the every throw video of his game against the 85 bears to get an idea of how he held up under an intense rush.

Anyways, I’m starting to sound like the old guy screaming at the clouds and it’s not a good look so I’ll leave it at that.
I watched him live and in person.

Dan had a pocket to move around in.

This oline has no idea what a pocket looks like.

Dan would get destroyed behind this mess.

See also https://www.aol.com/exploring-pros-cons-potential-tagovailoa-185637209.html

“Tagovailoa’s overall 2023 body of work (including leading the league in passing yards and finishing fourth in passer rating) exceeded that of several quarterbacks earning $38 million to $50 million per year, including Jalen Hurts ($51 million), Russell Wilson ($48 million average salary) and Derek Carr ($38 million). The Giants gave Daniel Jones $40 million a year, on average, over four years for achieving far less than Tagovailoa did and now presumably regret it.”

For all the fools who say burn this shet down and cut Tua and McD. 😂

See also, Supra:

“FYI: If you’re comparing the three youngest QBs on that list, Hurts has a 91.1 career passer rating and Jones has an 85.2 rating; Tagovailoa is at 97.1.)

So to suggest that Tagovailoa would take $30 million or even $35 million annually in a multiyear deal, in exchange for long-term security, seems naive, especially after a season when he didn’t miss a game.”

And still led the league in passing yardage and was up there in passing TD's and QB rating

P.S. the weak arm part not so much. Not a cannon but more 20 yard plus passes than anyone

I was not happy how the season ended but let not throw the baby out with the bath water as they say
Unfortunately all those stats are meaningless after how his performance was down the stretch and the way the teams season ended.

I agree. To all these guys throwing the baby out....Let's upgrade I say....I mean if guys dislike him that much...ok, fine....now who out there is actually available....not talking in Madden or even Super Tecmo Bowl dream trade scenarios...I am talking real world...who is out there that is proven to be better than Tua that we can acquire right now....don't say a rookie draft pick because just like Tua you may end up with problems and you'll be complaining again (or god forbid Ryan Leaf - not to say you dont draft competition)...I'm willing to listen if you have a clear upgrade option that is available right now...(a lot of you guys sound like people I spoke to in 97 about Dan's decline and they didn't have an answer for it because like I said back then , Erickson wasn't it)

Last edited:
I agree. To all these guys throwing the baby out....Let's upgrade I say....I mean if guys dislike him that much...ok, fine....now who out there is actually available....not talking in Madden or even Super Tecmo Bowl dream trade scenarios...I am talking real world...who is out there that is proven to be better than Tua that we can acquire right now....don't say a rookie draft pick because just like Tua you may end up with problems and you'll be complaining again (or god forbid Ryan Leaf - not to say you dont draft competition)...I'm willing to listen if you have a clear upgrade option that is available right now...(a lot of you guys sound like people I spoke to in 97 about Dan's decline and they didn't have an answer for it because like I said back then , Erickson wasn't it)
Almost anything would be comparable or an upgrade to his play down the stretch.

Right but Elway got those SBs when he was an old, decrepit human. Look at his QBR in the SB vs GB. Wasn’t it like 39? When he was great, his teams were losing 55-10 and 42-10 and 38-whatever in non-contested SBs that were all over by the second quarter. You saw his QBR in playoffs during that era right? It was worse than Dan’s by a good amount. Winning a playoff game is a team event. Even more so prior to the QB rule changes in 2004. Now a QB can mask the deficiencies to a degree. Not before that. No QB ever “stole” a SB when they were on the weaker team.

PS
I agree in defending Tua.
Certainly helped having Terrell Davis that one year (1998).

But saying superbowl wins are ALL about the QB is just not the way things are. Takes a full team effort, even special teams are crucial, just ask the bills. I will say I don't have confidence in Tua performing well on the road in bad weather in the playoffs...which obviously becomes an obstacle if the regular season doesn't end well like it did this season. It makes winning 12+games a must...hard to do year in year out. Also, this team should shoot for a more smash mouth, running balanced offense to try and mitigate issues with Tua in cold/bad weather. Dude can light it up if he gets to a nice warm weather SB location, just gotta make it through the AFC gauntlet!

LOL What else is he going to say? He is an employee of the team and even if he wasn't, do you see Dan as the type to throw the current Dolphin QB under the bus?
Crazy no matter who talks good about Tua, the people stuck on their own narrative while still not supplying anything to show they are right dismiss even our own legends. Pathetic. I’m sure Dan has said similar thing about tannehill or other qbs though yeah?

I just got myself to watch the last episode of hard knock

I’m in shock man, like seriously how bad he let himself go, he’ll never win anything for us if he doesn’t do something very serious about his shape and nutrition, it absolutely affected his speed and quickness on the field, he let him teammates down by doing so, Shame on him

Certainly helped having Terrell Davis that one year (1998).

But saying superbowl wins are ALL about the QB is just not the way things are. Takes a full team effort, even special teams are crucial, just ask the bills. I will say I don't have confidence in Tua performing well on the road in bad weather in the playoffs...which obviously becomes an obstacle if the regular season doesn't end well like it did this season. It makes winning 12+games a must...hard to do year in year out. Also, this team should shoot for a more smash mouth, running balanced offense to try and mitigate issues with Tua in cold/bad weather. Dude can light it up if he gets to a nice warm weather SB location, just gotta make it through the AFC gauntlet!
I agree. I wasn’t slighting Tua. My point was that it takes a team to win a SB. In fact, I don’t think there’s ever been a SB where a QB played so out of his mind for the underdog that they stole the game. At least I can’t recall one. Perhaps Nick Foles? But the Eagles were a better team than NE that year.

Not saying this applies to you, but I’m curious to understand the logic behind anyone who says Marino was great when he had incredible regular season stats and stunk in the playoffs going 8-10 with a passer rating of 77, and got to one Super Bowl in year 2 never sniffing another one in 15 years, then says that Tua is a king of empty stats after only 3 years in the league as a starter and leading his team to the playoffs in 2 of them And leading the league in passing.

How does that work? Should we have given up on Marino in year 5 because he peaked in year 2? Is Marino a “king of empty stats” who couldn’t take his team to a Championship That should’ve been given up on and replaced?
The name of the game when Marino played was run the damn ball ... back then, teams with a good/great run game were often the victors ...

Dan changed the game offensively.

Also, the defenses back then were brutal. Rule changes changed the game on defense.

For whatever reason, Shula couldn't/didn't keep an eye on the ground and pound to compliment the Qb (though he tried in 1980 w/Overstreet, RIP,)

and our defenses during that time weren't enough ...

Dan was literally a one man show ...
(with acknowledgement to Duper/Clayton/Rose)

I just got myself to watch the last episode of hard knock

I’m in shock man, like seriously how bad he let himself go, he’ll never win anything for us if he doesn’t do something very serious about his shape and nutrition, it absolutely affected his speed and quickness on the field, he let him teammates down by doing so, Shame on him
What part of the episode makes you think he gained weight and didn't stay in shape?

What part of the episode makes you think he gained weight and didn't stay in shape?
it’s something I’ve noticed throughout the series and especially in the last episode, literally if you know what to look at you will see exactly what I’m talking about. It’s embarrassing and it sucks for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom