Salary Cap update per Clayton | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary Cap update per Clayton

Samphin said:
:rolleyes: :tongue: You are coming around. Eventually you shall admit that this cap jail thing is becoming a thing of the past now that Agents, players, and team officals know how to structure contracts, re-do contracts and make everyone happy.

So according to this, you agreed with my "cap jail" assessment :D

Yeah clump, I think you keep forgetting that even though the provision states what is it 110% of his previous year's salary? Which was 375k...and so now should be 412.5k there is an overriding rule stating that the minimum salary for a 4th year player is $455k.

Splitting hairs I know, but with this salary cap stuff, from what I understand splitting hairs is kinda your thing ;)

Clumpy said:
So according to this, you agreed with my "cap jail" assessment :D

To a certain extent yes. Not when it comes to Miami, but I believed in a "cap jail" type of situation. Miami is never in as bad as shape as you would lead us fans to believe. Something tells me that when you post these numbers, while pretty much accurate, you tend to spin them in a way that spells doom and gloom for Miami. I maintian that cap jail will not happen to Miami under the current rules and will happen less and less around the league. Like I said, everyone is smarter and knows how to manipulate numbers to make everything work now. Cap Jail is quickly falling by the wayside.

ckparrothead said:
So anyway its good to know that should someone end up dropping a big name suddenly (a la Lawyer Milloy) the Phins are in somewhat of a position to go after them. I think they must be quietly very disappointed in the relatively few amount of veteran names that have been made available since June 1st. As always, they counted on taking a look at some June and July names, and adding a few to the team, but this time around, no names to grab...they hoped for Muhammad, he never ended up getting cut.

Yea CK, along with Muhammad, I think they were sure some OL vets would become available who could help out and now they maybe struck with what's on the roster and have to spin those names as good enough to us. If we had done the additional Vets thing last year, this year wouldn't have been as hard on OL..we couldv'e gotten ridden of the people we did, picked up some FA vets to go along with the pickups we should have gotten last year and our OL would have had a little more stability. Now our OL is a big question mark, which maybe the only thing that really slows this team down. What a bumper. I'd be in favor of going back out and picking up Nails for the RG position right now. Then we have a anchor on the L in James and a anchor on the R in Nails. I know Nails didn't play as well last year, but he was recovering and obviously he wasn't 100%. As young as he is and couldn't run like his first year, you knew he wasn't 100%.

I wouldn't say cap jail is over. The cap is probably better managed by most teams as the years have gone by, but from what I've heard, the Redskins are going to be in major hell in a couple of years. They have been way out of balance building with free agency at the expense of the draft. You need to draft young players because they are cheap in the first few years.

All those signing bonuses the Redskins have on their books will really bite them. They better win in the next couple of years.

I'd be in favor of going back out and picking up Nails for the RG position right now. Then we have a anchor on the L in James and a anchor on the R in Nails. I know Nails didn't play as well last year, but he was recovering and obviously he wasn't 100%. As young as he is and couldn't run like his first year, you knew he wasn't 100%.

I'm not as worried about the depth on the offensive line. I typically refrain from this sort of thing but I'm genuinely interested in seeing what Greg Jerman can do. His name has sparked up at various times since he was a rookie, as far as his potential to play guard, and now the coaches keep raving about how much he looks the part, which means he's got a real NFL body and strength now...and that is important, especially to the RG position where you mainly need to be able to mow someone down. Its not what I feel is a very important position anyway, and I feel our depth is pretty adequate along the OL once McIntosh comes back from injury. I'm not worried about veteran presence on the OL, I think its overrated unless you go out and get all veteran warriors like Tampa did (we'll see if their strategy works). I never expected that someone would be made available that we could sign to play Left Tackle for Wade Smith, or to hold down the Right Tackle position until Carey is ready to assume the role. Outside of that, I don't see the point.

I am worried about depth at the WR position, though. We're an injury away from last year's starting WR corp, and thats not good. I really would have preferred to keep James McKnight around.

Hopefully a combination of our TE situation and FB situation, can minimize our lack of WR depth. We'll see though, we'll see.

FlyingElvis said:
I wouldn't say cap jail is over. The cap is probably better managed by most teams as the years have gone by, but from what I've heard, the Redskins are going to be in major hell in a couple of years. They have been way out of balance building with free agency at the expense of the draft. You need to draft young players because they are cheap in the first few years.

All those signing bonuses the Redskins have on their books will really bite them. They better win in the next couple of years.

Granted, there are always exceptions to the rule and Daniel Snyder seems to be one. MY feeling is that you won't generally see the kind of opera drag out that happened a few years ago when powerhouses such as the Niners, Ravens and others had to strip down to the bare minimum due to the salary cap. It seems that now, more than ever, there are some creative loopholes and smart people running the cap numbers and evening out the salaries. This probably is part of the reason for so much parity nowadays too.

I don't doubt Snyder could be in some trouble soon, but he could always take a page out of the Raiders book. They were supposedly 40 million over the cap before last year. They restructured and cut dead weight and got under the cap without losing their core players. Granted they stunk, but that is because their core players were old and broken.

The years of many teams having to completely let everyone walk and cuttnig players on June 1st, is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Back
Top Bottom