Salary issue may stall Ricky's return. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary issue may stall Ricky's return.

He doesn't want to play for less money, because all he wants to do is pay back the $8.6Mil. That takes a long time at 500K a year. Not nearly as long at $3.7 Mil a year!

give him the option to take either 500k or don't come back, we can't afford a high salary at back-up RB

How does Ricky have ANY hand in this situation at all? As far as I am concerned the Dolphins are doing him a HUGE favor by letting him even comeback and now he has the audacity to ask for more money? I'm not surprised at this at all. He has no passion for the game left in him all he cares about is the money. I say screw him. If he doesn't sign for the league minimum I'd tell him to go back to India. Paying back his full contract when he himself isn't fully there (in physical size and mental capacity) is simply ridiculous.

The agents are definetly part of the problem. With massive alimony, back debts, and other expendutures, the league minumum doesn't seem to be enough.

If this thing goes to arbitration that will not be good. If it goes through an arbitrator from the NFL then its good for miami, else its better for ricky (I would think). I think that its in both parties interests to meet in the middle with lesser bonus clauses. Something vaguely resembling the following:

1. Base plus tons of incentives
2. 1.5-2 million medium incentives
3. 3.7 million 0 incentives

Its not exact but you get the point. Arbitration is not a easy victory for either side especially since there is already legal opinion on the matter. I'd like to hear what agua has to say as he is a lawyer.

kingnate85 said:
How does Ricky have ANY hand in this situation at all? As far as I am concerned the Dolphins are doing him a HUGE favor by letting him even comeback and now he has the audacity to ask for more money? I'm not surprised at this at all. He has no passion for the game left in him all he cares about is the money. I say screw him. If he doesn't sign for the league minimum I'd tell him to go back to India. Paying back his full contract when he himself isn't fully there (in physical size and mental capacity) is simply ridiculous.

He has a contract thats how he has a hand in this. Even though he retired we retained his rights for a period of 3 years if I remember correctly. So he will use his pre-existing contract. If there were no clauses in it for mental stability and weight/shape then we are S.O.L. Otherwise he will have to meet those guidelines in order to get paid.

awing_pilot said:
He has a contract thats how he has a hand in this. Even though he retired we retained his rights for a period of 3 years if I remember correctly. So he will use his pre-existing contract. If there were no clauses in it for mental stability and weight/shape then we are S.O.L. Otherwise he will have to meet those guidelines in order to get paid.

But wasn't that contract breached?

kingnate85 said:

But his return unbreached the contract, that's the debate part, but he still owes
8 mil...so let the negoiations begin.

kingnate85 said:

Yes - the contract was breached by him. According to the language of the contract if he breaches his salary reverts back to league minimum AND he owes $8.6 million. We have already had an arbitrator side with us on paying back the $8.6 million. We would probably win the fight over his base salary as well.

That being said - I'm not against working something out along the lines of forgiving some of his incentive debt if he agrees to play for less money. He can't have his $3.7 million AND the $8,6 million forgiven though. That's giving him too much. He did screw us after all - and ge is lucky he is getting any opportunity at all.

MDFINFAN said:
But his return unbreached the contract, that's the debate part, but he still owes
8 mil...so let the negoiations begin.

You can't unbreach a contract. Once you breach it there's no "unbreaching". It's like a pre-nup agreement. Once you cheat on your wife with your secretary you can't "un-cheat" on her. It's game over - she gets all your $$$$$$$ !!

And the distractions and problems that accompany RW continue. I hope they tell him to accept the min. or go away. We won't have to cut him b/c he hasn't unretired. I don't want to start cutting players to make room for this head case.

Not sure that he breached it, he is allowed to retire thats the real debate issue i believe

awing_pilot said:
Not sure that he breached it, he is allowed to retire thats the real debate issue i believe

Dude - he breached it. That's why he lost ALL his attempts at trying to get out of paying back the $8.6 million in incentives he loses if he breaches his contract. Arbitrators have sided with us every time and they will continue to do so.

Bust the deal, face the wheel...

He is hurting the team already by coming back. I don't even know why we're letting him do this to us.

awing_pilot said:
Its not exact but you get the point. Arbitration is not a easy victory for either side especially since there is already legal opinion on the matter. I'd like to hear what agua has to say as he is a lawyer.

Sure, I see how it is. Let's ask Agua, because HE'S a lawyer, and not your friendly neighborhood Phunwin, who's not only your friendly neighborhood columnist, but also a practicing member of the New York State Bar. That's cold, awing, very cold.

But, I'll offer my unwelcome, unwanted and (sniff) unappreciated opinion anyway. Simply put, I'd need to see the contract, and since that's not public information, there's little I can tell you. Since he was already found to be in breach as to the signing bonus, that would tend to favor the Phins, but that's a different issue. My recommendation would be to try to find some middle ground here that's mutually acceptable, because this strikes me as something that could go either way. I'm almost certain there's no precedent for a contract that slashes the player's salary to the minimum for a breach.

EDIT: I'd note that because one arbitrator and court reads the contract one way doesn't mean every arb and/or judge is going to read every term and clause the same way. Since the signing bonus and salary are entirely different issues, the holding as to the signing bonus probably won't have a huge effect on how they read the salary.

Back
Top Bottom