Sam Brenner | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sam Brenner

Sometimes it's not about having the most talent, but how you fit into a scheme. Omar mentioned in pregame that the one thing you notice about Brenner is he has the ability to move to the second level. With us (trying) to run a zone blocking scheme, you need OL that can move and also rely more on momentum in moving their man. Look at Denver's grat OLs under Alex Gibbs. Not a lot of elite talent individually (in fact I think in Shanahan's entire time in Denver only 2 first round picks were used on OL, one was great in Ryan Clady another in Geoff Foster sucked) but they were smart and fit the system.

Does this mean Brenner is an answer on the OL? No, but I think he played well enough to be given another look.

Meanwhile, Pouncey went in the hospital this week with what NFL.com reported as kidney and gall bladder issues. No Pouncey put Garner, who can play all the line positions, at center and elevated Brenner to the starting lineup.

Brenner, from the San Diego area, was so excited he couldn’t remember whether he was told Saturday night or Sunday morning.

“These guys are older so I was trying to soak up as much knowledge from him as I can,” Brenner said. “I was asking Bryant McKinnie questions, Nate Garner questions. They helped me play a big game [Sunday].”

Right guard John Jerry, the only lineman to start each game this year, said, “Brenner’s a guy, I promise you, if y’all could see him work every single day, you’d be amazed.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/18/3761352/miami-dolphins-offensive-linemen.html#storylink=cpy

I was pleasantly surprised in seeing Brenner inserted into the starting 5. I do remember reading, how the coaching staff really liked him during camp. He could be one of those players who's versatility and smarts allows him to have a career in the NFL, much like Garner has done with his career. I hope Brenner can continue with his improvement and help solidify the O-Line for the rest of the season in 2013 and can become a solid starter in 2014. If he can do that, It would be a small victory for Miami, considering how tumultuous 2013 has turned into in large part due to all the problems and issue along the offensive line. In Brenner I Believe!!!

would like to see him or gardner replace jerry.... damn does jerry piss me off. he had like 3 penalties ontop of piss poor blocking

I want to see McKinnie, Brenner, Garner, Pouncey, Clabo.

Call me nuts but I'm absolutely convinced that Pouncey giving away the snap is part of what's killing this offense. He's a guard we turned into a center. Move him back to guard.

I want to see McKinnie, Brenner, Garner, Pouncey, Clabo.

Call me nuts but I'm absolutely convinced that Pouncey giving away the snap is part of what's killing this offense. He's a guard we turned into a center. Move him back to guard.

Okay. you are nuts. Seriously, all QB's have verbal tells. Tannehill's is quite obvious (He is not Peyton like yet) but I agree that Defense's key as much on the Center as they do on the QB.

I thought that they had Tannehill change up his cadence considerably yesterday. He had more fake "GO" "GO GO" yesterday than I can ever remember.

That is great. Finally. But, hey guys, how about randomizing go on 1 or 2 so that it doesn't match whether you are running or passing. I mean, it HAS to be an advantage for the defense if they KNOW it is a run as soon as the ball is snapped -- without even looking up.

LOL. I record and watch every game at least twice, mostly to focus on the play of the Big Uglies. There's a number of posters who do the same, as you know. Today, I re-watched early, and listed the highlights and lowlights I saw to make it easy for others to take a look at without searching.

Gotta wonder why guys bother to post stuff like that, saying nothing.

I have already apologized in private, but I want to also apologize in public.
So, please accept my sincere apology for my post at the beginning of this thread.

And yes I do agree Sam did a remarkable job yesterday. Seems the line is better for worse. If that makes any sense.

I have already apologized in private, but I want to also apologize in public.
So, please accept my sincere apology for my post at the beginning of this thread.

And yes I do agree Sam did a remarkable job yesterday. Seems the line is better for worse. If that makes any sense.

I was gonna leave the forum over the harassment but, decided to deal with it. :) As I replied in private, already forgotten about.

After the slow start coming off injury, Jerry now grades out as the best pass blocker on the OL. Over the last four games, he has given up 1 sack, 0 QB hits, and 0 hurries. Problem is being bad on the run.

he should be at rt !! not a guard

PFF's grades just came out. I was right on Brenner giving up a sack and 1 QB hurry. The gave him a grade of +0.4 on the run and -0.1 on the pass (0 is average). I think that's damn good for a practice squad guy in his first game, who was being told by McKinnie and Garner in the huddle where he had to be and what he had to do. Best little story on the OL this year. We needed one. :)

As for the rest of the OL. Garner gave up 0 sacks, 0 hits, and 0 hurries. He graded out at -1.1 run and +0.6 pass.

McKinnie was 2-1-1. with +0.1 run, and -1.6 pass.

Clabo was 0-0-3, with +0.6 run, and +1.4 pass.

Jerry was 0-0-0, with +1.1 run, and +1.7 pass. In the last five gaves, he has given up 1 sack and nothing more in being our best pass blocker for the year. No idea why posters keep picking on him.

Watkins was in for 5 snaps and Dallas was in for one.

RT was credited with 1 sack on going out of bounds, and the safety blitz was another. So, the OL nly gave up 2 sacks.

Moved very well. Plays a bit upright. Narrow in the torso. Picked the ideal opponent for his debut. That's what I took out of Brenner yesterday, from watching the game live and occasionally focusing on him. I didn't go back and spotlight every play. IMO, that's more valuable earlier in the season. Late in the year it can provide a false impression, if certain players are fresh and healthy while others are nicked and worn out. I warned about that a few years ago when there were overly positive reviews of Garner late in the season.

Back
Top Bottom