San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers

Boomer said:
I would strongly suggest that the top 5, without trades will be

1 - Smith - 49ers
2 - Benson - Miami
3 - Edwards - Cleveland
4 - Williams C - Chicago
5 - Rodgers - Tampa.

This info comes courtesy of a couple of places.

I don't see why we would take Benson over Brown or Caddy. He doesn't fit our offense. Why have a power running back who can't catch when there's two other backs rated as high or higher who can catch?

Just doesn't make sense.

I still dont get why tampa would take a QB when they just resigned Griese to a 5 year 30 million whatever deal..... unless they plan on having Rodgers or Smith ride the bench for 3 years.

I hope you're wrong with our pick Boomer, I really do.

KevinRI said:
Boomer thinks he know everything. Cheap talk with the vocabulary-he's trying to impress y'all.

Kevin, I undestand you are new here...but take a word of advice:
Boomer does not do a lot of cheap talk. When he comes up with statemtents like these he must have a source. Boomer is our Draft expert, Has been doing predictions for quite a while, and even though he is British, he knows quite a bit about american football.And does not need to impress anybody here.
By the way, welcome to Finheaven!

Smith? Rodgers? Benson? Brown? Edwards? Williams?

Heck, I want us to draft defense, we're a lot older on that side of the ball and need a big infusion of youthful talent.
Linehan and Houck will improve our offense by coaching them up.

I've decided the guy I want above all in round 1 is Shawne Merriman and I don't care where we draft him.

Read the entire thread...and I really believe a lot more is going to happen in the top 10 this year than people are saying...that said...two things make me want to post.

#1...IF I were the 9ers...I wouldn't START negotiating with someone first if they were not my first choice. If not for the simple fact that...you want "your guy" to feel he's your first choice. Regardless. If he's the future of the franchise...why not start with him and then work to #2 and #3??? They haven't even opened negotiations with Smith...why start off with Rodgers for leverage? Smith hasn't shown any resistence.

#2...Why's everyone hate Benson all of a sudden? Or why does everyone hate Benson period. I dare say that prior to Brown running a great 40 at the combine...no one was talking him up like they are NOW. The REALITY is...Benson was more productive than either Brown or Caddy period. Prior to the Combine almost everyone had Benson rated the #1 RB prospect. It amazes me how high Brown has jumped and low Benson has fallen since the 40 times. Hilarious. So tell me...how fast was E. Smith? How fast was "Sweetness"? Both were considered "average" or a tad "slow" by 40 time standards, but they produced.

I, personally, would love to see us draft Benson.

Phintasy said:
Read the entire thread...and I really believe a lot more is going to happen in the top 10 this year than people are saying...that said...two things make me want to post.

#1...IF I were the 9ers...I wouldn't START negotiating with someone first if they were not my first choice. If not for the simple fact that...you want "your guy" to feel he's your first choice. Regardless. If he's the future of the franchise...why not start with him and then work to #2 and #3??? They haven't even opened negotiations with Smith...why start off with Rodgers for leverage? Smith hasn't shown any resistence.

#2...Why's everyone hate Benson all of a sudden? Or why does everyone hate Benson period. I dare say that prior to Brown running a great 40 at the combine...no one was talking him up like they are NOW. The REALITY is...Benson was more productive than either Brown or Caddy period. Prior to the Combine almost everyone had Benson rated the #1 RB prospect. It amazes me how high Brown has jumped and low Benson has fallen since the 40 times. Hilarious. So tell me...how fast was E. Smith? How fast was "Sweetness"? Both were considered "average" or a tad "slow" by 40 time standards, but they produced.

I wouldn't mind Benson either. True, there are some guys that have had success despite low forty times, but your odds of being a success def. increase with speed. There are exceptions to every rule.

Phintasy said:

All of a sudden? I haven't like Benson from the get go - I didn't want him from his Junior year on. I think there are flaws in him. Didn't see him do great work in the big games against legit competition.

I agree about the 9ers. I find it odd that they would negotiate with Rodgers. If I'm Rodgers, I'm taking the first legit offer - b/c there is a chance he could really drop if TB doesn't get him.

It does look like Smith is going to get drafted first from other things I'm hearing and reading and that is understandable.

Nice Avatar...I was conceived on IU's campus. lol...I'm the very definition of a "Hoosier". ;-)

Glad to hear someone else wouldn't mind Benson either. I don't have the old info, but I'm sure someone on here does...I wonder what Ricky, Edge, S. Alexander, and Jamal Lewis ran in the 40...anyone???

Da 'Fins said:
All of a sudden? I haven't like Benson from the get go - I didn't want him from his Junior year on. I think there are flaws in him. Didn't see him do great work in the big games against legit competition.

I agree about the 9ers. I find it odd that they would negotiate with Rodgers. If I'm Rodgers, I'm taking the first legit offer - b/c there is a chance he could really drop if TB doesn't get him.

It does look like Smith is going to get drafted first from other things I'm hearing and reading and that is understandable.

What concerns me is that Williams and Brown are a tad unproven in my eyes. Williams out played Brown early in the year, but later in the year Brown played better. Neither has proven they can carry the load alone. Why risk a #2 on that? I don't care how fast they are. If it were #15...then yes, but in the top 5 I'd rather have someone I KNOW will produce. Benson has proven that much. Say what you want about big games, but he produced far more than the other two for 4 full years at Texas.

Phintasy said:
Nice Avatar...I was conceived on IU's campus. lol...I'm the very definition of a "Hoosier". ;-)

Glad to hear someone else wouldn't mind Benson either. I don't have the old info, but I'm sure someone on here does...I wonder what Ricky, Edge, S. Alexander, and Jamal Lewis ran in the 40...anyone???

Guess you have got me there. :lol:

My first choice would be M. Williams, but the fact that Benson has been proven as a great runner makes me ok with him as well.

My big fear with the 49ers is that their crappy front office will trade down for subpar compensation. They can actually trump us by aksing for less desireable draft picks than what Saban is asking for. It doesnt do us any good if Saban is a tough negotiator if the team drafting BEFORE us is asking for less than we are. It makes the job for a team tryin gto trade up (such as Tampa Bay) much easier....

Phintasy said:

(#2)Actually Benson was less productive per carry and per catch than Brown.

Back
Top Bottom