San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers

Boomer, how are you so sure that the Browns would not select one of the QB's? They need a QB more than anyone else in this draft. We will not select Benson with the number 2 pick...won't happen. Saban would have spent some time with Benson if there was a chance that we would select him...he has spent zero time with him other than the combine when Benson would not run the 40.

Boomer, no disrespect but while you may be right, I think that it's alittle more likely that Rodgers really is the 9ers top choice. Like you (and/or others) have said, Nolan really likes Rodgers (no he's not the GM but they just hired him. Do they really want to start off his tenure with a conflict?), Rodgers is a local kid and according to numerous (albeit rumor/superficial) sites Rodgers has the slight edge over Smith with them. All of those factors combined with the fact that they started negotiating with Rodgers first and not Smith, leads me to think that he may be their top choice after all. Unfortunately, I think you are reading too much into the Rodgers negotiations. The simple truth appears to be evident to me. It may be that they had Smith targeted for a while but there are teams that change their minds during the evaluation process I am sure. Again, you may be right but I have my doubts.

A couple of things:

1) General Tso, your avatar is making me hungry. Stop it.

2) It amazes me to see two completely opposite situations yielding the same results: chaos and incompetence in San Francisco and an iromclad grip combined with micromanagement in Miami both are yielding big fat mysteries as to whom the respective teams are targeting.

Hmm...Ok, so maybe Boomer is right...and again he may not be right. Seems like they are going to negotiate with three players and not just Rodgers exclusively. Then again, some people are saying that while Nolan want Rodgers more than Smith, they are also saying that the GM will have the decision. Not true according to ESPn. Here are quotes from the Rumor section.

Apr. 12 - By Thursday night, the 49ers should have a good idea about the ability to sign the top three prospects they're considering for the No. 1 pick, according to John Clayton.
A phone negotiating session is scheduled Tuesday with the 49ers and the agents for wide receiver Braylon Edwards. On Wednesday, Cal quarterback Aaron Rodgers visits the 49ers' facility and his agent, Michael Sullivan, will have a lengthy contract negotiating session. On Thursday, Utah quarterback Alex Smith, who visits the 49ers Tuesday, will have his agent talk with the 49ers. The 49ers want to have a signed player before the draft starts. The two quarterback appear to have the lead in being selected No. 1.

Apr. 11 - Smith has gained a lot of momentum over the past week, and ESPN.com's John Clayton is hearing he could end up being the No. 1 pick. However, there are two uncertainties holding that possibility back. First, coach Mike Nolan has the final say on the first pick and he may be leaning toward Aaron Rodgers. Second, a contract needs to be reached before the draft. Some in the 49ers' organization love his upside and think he could end up being better than Rodgers, who is more polished.

Why would we not take less to trade down so that it isn't as hard for teams to trade with us. If we ask for the same compensation from the bucs that they would be giving the bears, what would we really lose? At five, we would still have our pick of some quality talent and pick up a later round pick in the process. With there being so many players jumbled at the top, I don't see the reason for not taking a bit under value to grab an extra pick and move down a couple of spots.

Boomer, how are you going to tell someone, and anyone for that matter to "read post 54 and lets hear no more".

Just because some people disagree with you is no reason to attempt a bar on all draft opinion and assumptions. Let me tell you, there are few opinions or posts on this site that ever come out unscathed.

I admit that it is possible that you are right about Smith and Benson. Anything is possible. However, have you seen Smith, Rodgers, Brown, Benson, and Edwards at length? And if so, who did you think was the best of the bunch?

Believe me, I love to hear what the Len Pasta's and so forth are saying about the draft, but if history is any indication, they will almost all be wrong.

All I know is this. I have five of Rodgers, and Campbell's games. Two of Smith, Orton and Walter. One of Frye. I have watched each numeruos times because I enjoy it. If I where drafting right now and that decision had to be based simply on what I see on the tape, I would rate them:
1. Rodgers
2. Campbell
3. Smith
4. Orton
5. Frye
6. Walter - He would be around 3-4 if I knew he was totally healthy
Now obviously, I don't have the luxury of fully grasping Smith's intelligence, but, physically, he just does not stack up.

I agree that Washingotn wants to trade up so if I were Saban I would just take Rodgers or Smith and force Washington to make a deal with us. If they choose not to then we will still have a Qb of the future. I am not sold on us taking one of the big 3 backs because I believe Saban likes Morency and Fason and would like to get one of them in the 2nd or 3rd rd

Ghetti13 said:
Boomer, how are you going to tell someone, and anyone for that matter to "read post 54 and lets hear no more".

Just because some people disagree with you is no reason to attempt a bar on all draft opinion and assumptions. Let me tell you, there are few opinions or posts on this site that ever come out unscathed.

I admit that it is possible that you are right about Smith and Benson. Anything is possible. However, have you seen Smith, Rodgers, Brown, Benson, and Edwards at length? And if so, who did you think was the best of the bunch?

Believe me, I love to hear what the Len Pasta's and so forth are saying about the draft, but if history is any indication, they will almost all be wrong.

All I know is this. I have five of Rodgers, and Campbell's games. Two of Smith, Orton and Walter. One of Frye. I have watched each numeruos times because I enjoy it. If I where drafting right now and that decision had to be based simply on what I see on the tape, I would rate them:
1. Rodgers
2. Campbell
3. Smith
4. Orton
5. Frye
Now obviously, I don't have the luxury of fully grasping Smith's intelligence, but, physically, he just does not stack up.

Pretty sure it was a joke. He was saying that at this point all statements are assumptions in reply to another post and that there would be no talk on here if no one could make those assumptions. Calm down just a tad. :)

They are negotiating with Rodgers to lure Smith? Come on.

They have been high on Rodgers since the beginning. Why? Because Nolan believes that Rodgers is ready to play NOW- where as Smith needs some work before hes ready to take snaps in the NFL.

Why would it worry Smith anyway? He knows hes going to get drafted and paid by either Miami or Cleveland.

C. Kangaroo better get some better sources. :)

benson and rodgers are two of my favorites anyways, so i hope we go in one of those two angles... if we can't trade down of course.

Ghetti13 said:

1. Rodgers
2. Campbell
3. Smith
4. Orton
5. Frye

Post 54: In response to me speculating......

"The whole draft is assumption. If people don't assume, why bother talking about it?

I propose no more threads till April 25th so that no-one can be accused of assuming anything."

My point was, lets not hear anymore about the draft as we all speculate.

Capiche?

After weighing the various arguments it seems to me that Rodgers is the more likely pick for the niners (among Rodgers, Smith and Edwards). However, I think that if either QB says they'll sign for less money than the other then that guy immediately jumps to the top of the draft board. That is probably the main motivation for negotiating with them all at the same time.

I realize what your point is. However, it seemed as if you wrote that because you were irritated that others disagreed with you. Capiche?

Boomer said:
But if Smith goes one, the assumption is that Miami and Cleveland will pass on Rodgers. Both Miami and Cleveland would like a sweet trade down pot, but of you are at 9, the trade pot is a lot bigger getting to two than it is at 5. Knowing then that 2+3 +4 don't want a QB and trying to secure the QB, Tampa may move up 1, essentially meaning that a team that wants to get from 9 to 4, would now have to go 9-3. Hard to explain without actually TELLING you face to face. Either that or we are just thick ;)

I dont know about you but Im pretty damn thick :(

Back
Top Bottom