San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers

Girls, stop fighting. You're both pretty, okay?

According to ESPN Insider, "If you are looking for a dysfunctional NFL front office, look no further than the 49ers. John York is making football decisions and right now you don't see a football guy in a leadership role in this organization."

In other words, there's a whole bunch of confusion as to exactly WHO has the final say. More than likely, it's whoever can shout the loudest at John York, the team owner.

So BlueFin is right, and so is Boomer. Nolan may or may not have the final say. No one seems to know for sure.

phunwin said:

According to ESPN Insider, "If you are looking for a dysfunctional NFL front office, look no further than the 49ers. John York is making football decisions and right now you don't see a football guy in a leadership role in this organization."

In other words, there's a whole bunch of confusion as to exactly WHO has the final say. More than likely, it's whoever can shout the loudest at John York.

Actually, according to Ira Miller, Nolan has final call.

Boomer said:
But if Smith goes one, the assumption is that Miami and Cleveland will pass on Rodgers. Both Miami and Cleveland would like a sweet trade down pot, but of you are at 9, the trade pot is a lot bigger getting to two than it is at 5. Knowing then that 2+3 +4 don't want a QB and trying to secure the QB, Tampa may move up 1, essentially meaning that a team that wants to get from 9 to 4, would now have to go 9-3. Hard to explain without actually TELLING you face to face. Either that or we are just thick ;)

I think "Miami and Cleveland will pass on Rodgers" is an awfully big assumption... especially the Miami part. Only a select few within the Dolphins organization know Saban's opinion on Rodgers and I doubt they've leaked that opinion unless they're looking to get canned.

Not to say the assumption won't turn out to be correct, just saying it's no more or less valid than an assumption that we definately will not take Benson if we stay at #2.

BlueFin said:
The Niners are operating very much like Wannstedt did before he was stripped of power.
Incompetently :confused:

BlueFin said:
Sorry Mate, there is no GM in San Fran, where do you get your info?

Nolan has final call.

That's a good point and I stand corrected.

That said whilst I take your Ira Miller point, I raise you a Len Pasqarelli:

"The buzz is that, despite opening negotiations on four fronts with players who they are considering for the top spot in the draft, Utah quarterback Alex Smith is the man with whom San Francisco officials and coaches are most enamored. That doesn't mean that Smith will be the top choice, at least not yet, and the 49ers will entertain in coming days California quarterback Aaron Rodgers, Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards and Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle. But if all the financial ramifications are removed from the equation -- which, of course, they are not -- Smith currently tops the wish list."

And I throw you a PFW Inner Circle:

"San Francisco’s chief contract negotiator, Paraag Marathe, is scheduled to meet with the agent for Aaron Rodgers on Wednesday to discuss preliminary contract parameters, according to NFL team sources, when Rodgers visits the facility. Marathe, who was part of Niners brass involved with the team’s recent head-coaching hiring decisions, is a University of California graduate and is said to prefer Rodgers over Alex Smith, but he has minimal say in football decisions.

PFW’s sources say the Niners currently have Rodgers and Smith stacked evenly on their draft board, with head coach Mike Nolan still said to prefer Rodgers because of his ability to contribute more immediately. Although that may be the tune Nolan is singing, other teams say it falls in line with the rationale that Smith is the guy they truly covet."

We'll know soon enough.

phunwin said:

In other words, there's a whole bunch of confusion as to exactly WHO has the final say. More than likely, it's whoever can shout the loudest at John York, the team owner.

So BlueFin is right, and so is Boomer. Nolan may or may not have the final say. No one seems to know for sure.

Hey we're not fighting. Blue knows hsi stuff and he pointed out an error. *

* 6.30pm in the car park son, no weapons.

That is the media. Not a source. Of course they supposedly have them stacked evenly. If word got out that Rodgers was there guy he would be able to take them behind the woodshed. Often the "source info" that gets to these MEDIA OUTLETS is the info the team wants there.

Rodgers is and should be the guy.

General Tso said:
I think "Miami and Cleveland will pass on Rodgers" is an awfully big assumption... especially the Miami part. Only a select few within the Dolphins organization know Saban's opinion on Rodgers and I doubt they've leaked that opinion unless they're looking to get canned.

Not to say the assumption won't turn out to be correct, just saying it's no more or less valid than an assumption that we definately will not take Benson if we stay at #2.

The whole draft is assumption. If people don't assume, why bother talking about it?

I propose no more threads till April 25th so that no-one can be accused of assuming anything.

BlueFin said:
Actually, according to Ira Miller, Nolan has final call.

I read the article, and I don't see where it says that. It refers to the Niners wanting to set things up like the Eagles and Patriots, if that's what you mean, but it never specifically says that Nolan has the final call. It seemed, more than anything, to be a statement of the confusion and inexperience in the front office than an affirmation that Nolan has the power to make the pick and override the personnel guys.

Ghetti13 said:
That is the media. Not a source. Of course they supposedly have them stacked evenly. If word got out that Rodgers was there guy he would be able to take them behind the woodshed. Often the "source info" that gets to these MEDIA OUTLETS is the info the team wants there.

Rodgers is and should be the guy.

I suggest you then read post 54 and lets hear no more

Interesting opinion but Tampa will all likelyhood take a RB, and Tennessee need is a WR just a s strong as it is a CB. Come draft day we will probably move out of #2.

Either way... I hope that Rodgers goes #1 because it puts us in a better position. I think that Cleveland would take Smith, consequently the Buccs would have to get up to #2 in order to get Smith.

I wanna trade down.

phunwin said:
I read the article, and I don't see where it says that. It refers to the Niners wanting to set things up like the Eagles and Patriots, if that's what you mean, but it never specifically says that Nolan has the final call. It seemed, more than anything, to be a statement of the confusion and inexperience in the front office than an affirmation that Nolan has the power to make the pick and override the personnel guys.

I personally heard Ira Miller on ESPN radio state that while Nolan has a personnel man, much like Spielman was too Wannstedt, Mike Nolan will make the final decision.

Ira Miller says everything hes hearing points to Rodgers being the pick unless they can't get a deal done, they want to have a deal finalized before the draft.

The only problem I have with the original scenerio is that you're giving the 49ers a lot of credit. They are a poorly run organization with no saavy whatsover. The manuvering you're suggesting is beyond them. Look at how barren that roster is of real talent and how much credibility they have lost around the league. I think they are negotiating with Rodgers because they want him and arent smart enough to get the trade down they really want out of the draft. Harsh opinion I guess, and certainly with no "inside" knowledge but its what Im thinking. The owner is a cheapskate though, the scenerio isnt beyond him from that standpoint. Anything to save a few bucks he's probaly thinking. Arent they trying to get a new stadium? The "hometown" guy would seem to make a lot of sense there.
Good stuff, Boomer, always interesting to read your theories and good info from insider sources.

Back
Top Bottom