San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers

Ghetti13 said:
I realize what your point is. However, it seemed as if you wrote that because you were irritated that others disagreed with you. Capiche?

I didn't get that at all. I think people are just frustrated with every little tidbit being shouted down with cries of "that's just stupid speculation."

And by the way ... it's "Capisce," boys. ;)

That was my point. That no post comes through this place without being bashed by someone. Hell, there are some on this site who want LeFors as Miami's qb of the future. Its part of the deal. You get your ideas out, but at least a handful of people will disagree.
Believe me, if people would all take the time to make logical arguments before they post, we would all be happy. But that aint happenin.

And about capisce, I have no idea how it is spelled, but that is how he spelled it, so I figured he knew.

This whole business about the 49ers negotiating w/ Rodgers as a smokescreen so they can get Smith is ridiculous. They have the #1 PICK and absolutely NO reason to "smokescreen" whatsoever. They have the key to the draft and they are NOT going to trade it away. If they are in negotiations w/ Rodgers, it signals that they want Rodgers first and if he does not want stupid $$$, he will be their guy.

Everybody quit trying to outthink yourselves. I think 2/3rds of the posters on here are high-school kids who think in terms of the behind-the-scenes intrigues involved with getting PROM DATES. The NFL front offices are ADULTS who don't engage in bait-'n-switch, smokescreen, make-the-other-guy/girl-jealous stategies like 15-year-olds do!

I GUARANTEE YOU that Nick Saban has absolutely ZERO interest in engaging in such foolishness.

dolphingator said:
This whole business about the 49ers negotiating w/ Rodgers as a smokescreen so they can get Smith is ridiculous. They have the #1 PICK and absolutely NO reason to "smokescreen" whatsoever. They have the key to the draft and they are NOT going to trade it away. If they are in negotiations w/ Rodgers, it signals that they want Rodgers first and if he does not want stupid $$$, he will be their guy.

Everybody quit trying to outthink yourselves. I think 2/3rds of the posters on here are high-school kids who think in terms of the behind-the-scenes intrigues involved with getting PROM DATES. The NFL front offices are ADULTS who don't engage in bait-'n-switch, smokescreen, make-the-other-guy/girl-jealous stategies like 15-year-olds do!

I GUARANTEE YOU that Nick Saban has absolutely ZERO interest in engaging in such foolishness.

:lol:

Youre exactly right.

People seem to forget that Saban is the new kid on the block right now. Anybody who thinks they can pull a fast one over an NFL HC or GM is highly underestimating them (except for Rick Spielman of course).

dolphingator said:

they arent talking about smokescreen to trade it. theyre talking about smokescreen so Alex Smith will lower his price.

I agree that they want Rodgers, but, if I where them, I would negotiate with Smith and make it seem like he is a valid option. Its simple negotiating tactics. The more it seems to the Rodgers camp that they might go in another direction, the better chance the 49ers have of lowering his demands.
This is not foolishness. It is smart. Otherwise, the 49ers have no leverage.

KuchaMucha said:
Hmm...Ok, so maybe Boomer is right...and again he may not be right. Seems like they are going to negotiate with three players and not just Rodgers exclusively. Then again, some people are saying that while Nolan want Rodgers more than Smith, they are also saying that the GM will have the decision. Not true according to ESPn. Here are quotes from the Rumor section.

Which is what I said several posts ago, your citing John Clayton matches with what I heard the Niner beat writer say on the radio, that Nolan does hold final say.......it is a fact there is no GM in San Fran.

Ira Miller said they will try to get a deal done with Rodgers, if that fails they will turn to Smith and so on down the line until they land somebody prior to the draft.

I suppose it could be assumed that they will try to lowball somebody into an agreement to be #1, it would not be the first time this ploy had been tried.

dolphingator said:

Why do you think we traded up last year to get Carey? It was well known that we needed a T and almost traded up to get one. I don't think the Vikes had any interest in Carey, but made it seem as though they did so we trade up. I bet it happens more than you think. Even if it doesn't work, would'nt you try just in case you run into a DW or RS type?

bfishusi said:
Why do you think we traded up last year to get Carey? It was well known that we needed a T and almost traded up to get one. I don't think the Vikes had any interest in Carey, but made it seem as though they did so we trade up. I bet it happens more than you think. Even if it doesn't work, would'nt you try just in case you run into a DW or RS type?

Your absolutely right, the bozo twins let the world know where they were going and got manipulated because of it.

Philly trades up ahead of us to get the number one rated guy, and Minnesota plays us like a fiddle for a fourth rounder to move up one spot.

You never know how your secrecy about your real intentions could benefit you, but you sure know how a lackthereof can hurt you.

Saban is playing this perfect, no matter which way he is really leaning he has put out enough signals that everybody is confused. The majority of the media is so confused they just keep printing that we will go runningback because it seems like the obvious choice with Rickys retirement and the perceived effect it had on us.

I still say it will be quarterback, WR or tradedown.......there will be no runner at #2.

BlueFin said:
Which is what I said several posts ago, your citing John Clayton matches with what I heard the Niner beat writer say on the radio, that Nolan does hold final say.......it is a fact there is no GM in San Fran.

Ira Miller said they will try to get a deal done with Rodgers, if that fails they will turn to Smith and so on down the line until they land somebody prior to the draft.

I suppose it could be assumed that they will try to lowball somebody into an agreement to be #1, it would not be the first time this ploy had been tried.

Too true. Unless my memory is badly mistaken, that's how the Cowboys decided on Russell Maryland.

I still think Rogers is the better QB of the two, and if he is there and we pass on him we could be making a very big mistake.

San Fran are negotiating with Rodgers as means to worry Alex Smith. Alex Smith is the 49ers guy. There is absolutely no doubt. The logic is that the Niners will attempt to create the false appearance that Rodgers is their guy to gain leverage in negotiations with Smith. Mike Nolan prefers Rodgers, but the rest of the scouting department and the D of PP and the GM all prefer Alex Smith.

This means that Miami will NOT take a QB as they have Smith much higher than Rodgers. They would desperately like to trade the pick - Saban would like to come away with 2 firsts and wants to add a TB and a David Pollack type. He is also very keen on Thomas Davis who the team apparently calls almost daily. But the trade partner is the big question. The Redskins have emerged as a possible to get Rodgers, as have the Lions, but it seems unlikely that we will fall that far so as to miss out on one of the top 3 backs. The Skins also have the hots for Troy Williamson and so may move up ahead of the Vikings but but not as high as us. That deal could go down with Tennessee who could still almost certainly get Antrell Rolle, the guy they covet, at that spot, or possibly Alex Barron.

The team wanting to get into the Rodgers derby is Tampa. They will do any deal with Chicago because the Bears want either Benson or Williams and if we take Benson at 2, then they get Williams at 4. If we take Williamsd at 2, they get their man Benson at 4. But whatever happens, Cleveland isn't taking a back and Tampa aren't taking Benson, so Chicago flip flops, Tampa moves up and makes any deal that the Skins, Lions or Cardinals might come up with even sweeter and more difficult. Tampa has 2 3's, so a flip flop to give the Bears back the 3 they lost in the Ogunleye trade makes sense.

I would strongly suggest that the top 5, without trades will be

1 - Smith - 49ers
2 - Benson - Miami
3 - Edwards - Cleveland
4 - Williams C - Chicago
5 - Rodgers - Tampa.

This info comes courtesy of a couple of places.

Aside from San Fran taking Smith, I would be utterly surprised if any of the things Boomer predicted come to happen.

Da 'Fins said:
This is interesting. I don't entirely disagree with your assessment. But, I wonder how you are so certain that the Dolphins have Smith that much higher than Rodgers? Especially with the Dolphins having to be so 'mum' about the issue.

I have no inside info on this, but I do have a theory on it. I believe our interest is high on Smith because of his knowledge of our system. Think about what an advantage it would be for any QB to leave a college system where they have had tons of success and then go into the same system in the pro level. The same formations, key reads, etc. It really does cut down the learning in a big way. In fact, one could even say that most of the learning that will need to take place will be just adjusting to the faster speed of the NFL. The playbook and reads are already an understood item.

I think that is why wqe are so high on Smith, along with his known abilities.

That said, I still think that Saban has alot less trust in Feeley than has been released to us. I think if Smith is gone we will draft Rodgers at #2 overall. IMO

DOLFANMIKE said:
I have no inside info on this, but I do have a theory on it. I believe our interest is high on Smith because of his knowledge of our system. Think about what an advantage it would be for any QB to leave a college system where they have had tons of success and then go into the same system in the pro level. The same formations, key reads, etc. It really does cut down the learning in a big way. In fact, one could even say that most of the learning that will need to take place will be just adjusting to the faster speed of the NFL. The playbook and reads are already an understood item.

I think that is why wqe are so high on Smith, along with his known abilities.

That said, I still think that Saban has alot less trust in Feeley than has been released to us. I think if Smith is gone we will draft Rodgers at #2 overall. IMO

I agree Mike, this is nothng but a gut feeling on my part, but I think one of the reasons Saban is trying so hard to acquire another first day pick is to allow himself some flexibility to find a runner later and still get his quarterback at the top of the draft.

Back
Top Bottom