say NO to Mark Ingram | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

say NO to Mark Ingram

QB's, wideouts, and lineman have nothing to do with it. I'm referring to the relative ease with which starting (or even star) caliber runners can be found in rounds 2-4. This regime hasn't spent that kind of pick on that position here, but Ireland was with the Cowboys when they drafted Marion Barber in the 4th round and was seemingly involved in the scouting of Tashard Choice before he came here.

and what praytell, have these two fine examples done in this league???

and what praytell, have these two fine examples done in this league???

Well Marion had a few good years in fantasy football . . . you know . . . the guy was a touchdown machine a few years back, that is what matters most to people right now. Half the people out there don't watch any games of these guys. . . they watch the "stat tracker" on the Fantasy Sites and base their opinions on the results those RB's achieve. It is hard to explain things about a prospect without a number being attached to that prospect nowadays.

Well Marion had a few good years in fantasy football . . . you know . . . the guy was a touchdown machine a few years back, that is what matters most to people right now. Half the people out there don't watch any games of these guys. . . they watch the "stat tracker" on the Fantasy Sites and base their opinions on the results those RB's achieve. It is hard to explain things about a prospect without a number being attached to that prospect nowadays.

Yeah I don't agree with you so I don't watch football. I have a different opinion than you. Guess that's not allowed around here. Thought we were having a well informed and civil discussion here. FYI I happened to be at the U of Minnesota for the entirety of Marion Barber's college career. Saw every game he played in college and have followed him very closely in the NFL. Is he a perfect every down back? No. Has he, for the majority of his career, been a very good starting quality power back in tandem with a homerun hitter? Yes. And Tashard Choice has been excellent when given an opportunity and if it weren't for Jerry Jone's love affair with Felix Jones, I think we'd all have a much different opinion of him.

One more time. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't draft Mark Ingram because of a slow 40 time. I'm not saying he won't be an excellent back. I just don't think it makes sense to use a 1st round pick on a position that is so easy to fill 2-3 rounds later. So turn down the condescension a couple notches and explain to me why, when 12 of the 17 thousand yard rushers this year were drafted after the 1st round, 15 of the top 20 backs in YPC were drafted outside of the 1st round, and 11 of 12 playoff teams started running backs selected outside of the first round, its necessary to use such a valuable asset on the position. Once again. What's the best case scenario? We get an Adrian Peterson or a Chris Johnson or a Steven Jackson or hell, a 2002 Ricky Williams. We still don't win until we get the QB and passing game situation worked out. All I'm saying.

Yeah I don't agree with you so I don't watch football. I have a different opinion than you. Guess that's not allowed around here. Thought we were having a well informed and civil discussion here. FYI I happened to be at the U of Minnesota for the entirety of Marion Barber's college career. Saw every game he played in college and have followed him very closely in the NFL. Is he a perfect every down back? No. Has he, for the majority of his career, been a very good starting quality power back in tandem with a homerun hitter? Yes. And Tashard Choice has been excellent when given an opportunity and if it weren't for Jerry Jone's love affair with Felix Jones, I think we'd all have a much different opinion of him.

One more time. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't draft Mark Ingram because of a slow 40 time. I'm not saying he won't be an excellent back. I just don't think it makes sense to use a 1st round pick on a position that is so easy to fill 2-3 rounds later. So turn down the condescension a couple notches and explain to me why, when 12 of the 17 thousand yard rushers this year were drafted after the 1st round, 15 of the top 20 backs in YPC were drafted outside of the 1st round, and 11 of 12 playoff teams started running backs selected outside of the first round, its necessary to use such a valuable asset on the position. Once again. What's the best case scenario? We get an Adrian Peterson or a Chris Johnson or a Steven Jackson or hell, a 2002 Ricky Williams. We still don't win until we get the QB and passing game situation worked out. All I'm saying.

I know you brought up Barber, and it was a valid point . . . I just transcended that name as an example of a "fantasy star" a few years ago that was a mid round pick that gets alot of love, but did it for what? 2 years? Maybe 3. I think Ingram is a 10 year guy. Great RB's are first round picks, just look at the history . . . running backs with a great year can be had anywhere . . . but consistent RB's with great years are first rounders. But you are right, this front office does NOT scream first round RB to me either but I think the pick would be very appropriate looking at the circumstances. Hell you could say they don't scream first round QB either.

Ingram is safe and high character, a stud RB . . . you can fill RB in round 2 or 3 . . . you can fill QB in round 2 or 3 . . . in both cases you won't be getting the best player so it depends on how much you think the targeted QB is going to do for you team. If you think Jake Locker or Christian Ponder is the guy you want to battle with in round 1 . . . go ahead, hell I'm a novice at this scouting game . . . and they get paid the big dollars. All I'm saying is, I know a GREAT RB when I see one, and Mark Ingram is a GREAT RB . . . and to not consider him at 15 because of him being a RB, IMO is just foolish and misguided . . . regardless of our needs elsewhere . . . we need a RB, hell it is one of our top 3 biggest needs . . . you have a chance to get the BPA, which likely will be Ingram . . . you don't disregard him because he is a RB, that makes no sense . . . you look at your options, and he should be an option. If your franchise QB is on the board, take your franchise QB . . . if that guy is not there, take the stud RB. Crossing him off the board would be the final LOL I needed at this regime . . . though I doubt we are clocking 40 times of guys we crossed off like we did at Ingram's Pro Day.

I know you brought up Barber, and it was a valid point . . . I just transcended that name as an example of a "fantasy star" a few years ago that was a mid round pick that gets alot of love, but did it for what? 2 years? Maybe 3. I think Ingram is a 10 year guy. Great RB's are first round picks, just look at the history . . . running backs with a great year can be had anywhere . . . but consistent RB's with great years are first rounders. But you are right, this front office does NOT scream first round RB to me either but I think the pick would be very appropriate looking at the circumstances. Hell you could say they don't scream first round QB either.

Ingram is safe and high character, a stud RB . . . you can fill RB in round 2 or 3 . . . you can fill QB in round 2 or 3 . . . in both cases you won't be getting the best player so it depends on how much you think the targeted QB is going to do for you team. If you think Jake Locker or Christian Ponder is the guy you want to battle with in round 1 . . . go ahead, hell I'm a novice at this scouting game . . . and they get paid the big dollars. All I'm saying is, I know a GREAT RB when I see one, and Mark Ingram is a GREAT RB . . . and to not consider him at 15 because of him being a RB, IMO is just foolish and misguided . . . regardless of our needs elsewhere . . . we need a RB, hell it is one of our top 3 biggest needs . . . you have a chance to get the BPA, which likely will be Ingram . . . you don't disregard him because he is a RB, that makes no sense . . . you look at your options, and he should be an option. If your franchise QB is on the board, take your franchise QB . . . if that guy is not there, take the stud RB. Crossing him off the board would be the final LOL I needed at this regime . . . though I doubt we are clocking 40 times of guys we crossed off like we did at Ingram's Pro Day.

I agree with this, but if you go through the NFL and just pick every guy that you'd be happy and confident with as your starting QB, see what you come up with. I see Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco, Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, Eli Manning, Sam Bradford. You could make cases for a couple more like Sanchez and Orton, but those are the guys that I'd really be happy with. That's 15 guys. Eleven of those fifteen guys were taken in the first round. Brees was taken with the first pick in the second round so hardly counts. That leaves Schaub, Brady, and Cassel as true bargain guys. And two of them were developed by the same organization. We obviously are not that organization. Do the same with running backs. You're number of guys you'd be happy with as your starter that were drafted after round one is going to be a lot higher.

Now obviously I don't think we should pick a QB in the first round if he doesn't belong there. And there's no doubt in my mind that you have a greater eye for college talent than I do. But I guess I'd rather just take a risk on a QB at that spot if we have a first round grade on the guy or trade down if we don't have the guts than use that pick on a running back. Any running back. Doesn't matter if its Mark Ingram, Adrian Peterson, or Barry Sanders. Just don't see the value. If we are stuck at 15, I could live with the pick. Not the best use of resources in my opinion, but I guess if that's the position we'd be in, BPA would be acceptable.

I don't know if this regime knew how to scout an offensive playmaker if it fell in their laps . . . thank god Bess decided to come to us as a UDFA. Other than that . . . we have no great offensive playmakers on this team that we have acquired thru the draft. We have a 4th rounder in Hartline playing an elevated role, but he isn't a starting WR. We traded 2 #2's for Marshall . . . we STILL haven't found a replacement RB for Ricky and Ronnie . . . still no young QB to hang or hats on, we traded for Fasano, no young TE to hang our hats on . . . we passed on plenty of playmakers for busts.

Henne, Hilliard, Parmalee, Turner, White, Hartline, London, Sheets, Pruitt, Moore, Wallace, Reed, Shuler, Haynos, Epps, Mastrund. . . didn't wait on Armstrong . . . and got a great slot WR in Bess thru UDFA . . . is there a more pathetic set of offensive drafted skill position players/brought in young players in the league over the last 3 years? You get a sure thing like Ingram, they better be doing backflips in the war room.

They dumb azzes pass on a TE in the deepest TE class in years, god help them.

Back
Top Bottom