SB ring in next two years, get Rodgers | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SB ring in next two years, get Rodgers

Even that, we can have a proven elite QB who put us in SB contention instantly, i would not call it an historic blunder. Nothing can top us passing on Brees twice.
acquiring a top-5 QB wouldn't be the blunder, giving up on one would

You do realize that even if they trade for Rogers or Watson, there is no guarantee the Dolphins will make it to the SB or even make the playoffs. Because even with either of them at QB for the Dolphins, Mahomes will still be the best QB in the NFL and the Bills will still be the best team in the AFC East.
I use your logic. I give you this year Tua improves to the level of Watson or Rodgers, by your logic, there still no guarantee we make it to SB, or even make to playoffs.
So base on your logic, why waste time and energy to improve any group or position in the team. Getting an elite FA, say an all pro RB, does not guarantee SB or make it to playoffs. Why bother?

acquiring a top-5 QB wouldn't be the blunder, giving up on one would
Have to disagree. People can analysis our current situation and see the reasoning of acquiring an elite proven QB despite how Tua turns out with other team.

I agree you need an elite QB to be a consistent contender. The difference between you and me in regards to Tua are expectations. You think he will just be another Alabama QB who fails at the NFL level. I view him as a QB who has the work ethic and skill set that will allow him to become an elite QB in the NFL over the next few years.

If I’m wrong, the Dolphins will just draft another QB in the next few years. If I’m right, the Dolphins will be set at QB for the next decade or more and the Dolphins will be a consistent SB contender. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
I have no idea what Tua will be, that's the entire point.

Have to disagree. People can analysis our current situation and see the reasoning of acquiring an elite proven QB despite how Tua turns out with other team.
agree to disagree. No way to positively spin giving up on an elite QB after 9 games. Especially considering the assets you would have to trade away for Rodgers' last 2-3 years

agree to disagree. No way to positively spin giving up on an elite QB after 9 games. Especially considering the assets you would have to trade away for Rodgers' last 2-3 years
So now Tua is elite? People can't seem to understand that for every one Aaron Rodgers there's 50 Tuas.

The problem with your argument is, he did nothing to show he is an elite QB after 9 games. What he may have done with other team is a Monday morning quarterback argument.

I have no idea what Tua will be, that's the entire point.
I fully understand your point and the point of Dan13 forever starting this thread. The difference from my point of view is I am patience enough to sit back and see how Tua develops over the next two years before I start clamoring for a change if he hasn’t developed into a solid NFL starter.

As I stated earlier, Rogers sat on the bench for 3 years before he even started a game in the NFL. The last I checked, Watson hasn’t led the Texans to the SB since he became their starting QB.

Josh Allen was considered a below average QB after his rookie year and Peyton Manning was terrible as a rookie NFL QB. John Elway was basically just an average QB his first few years in the NFL. In fact very few QB’s have entered the NFL and been outstanding or even good as rookie QB’s

The Chargers thought so little of Drew Brees, they drafted Eli Manning and then traded him for Philip Rivers to replace Brees. They just let Brees walk in free agency because they never thought he would be a solid starter in the NFL. Johnny Unitas was cut by the Steelers as a rookie because they didn’t think he was good enough to play for them. The Colts signed him the following year and Unitas ended up being one of the greatest QB’s in the history of the NFL.

So I will admit I have no idea if Tua will be an outstanding NFL QB or just another QB who didn’t work out in the NFL. I am just not ready to give up on him after he only played 9 games last year after recovering from a surgery which most individuals with that type of injury never fully recover from.

I will be willing to take all the “I told you” comments if Tua fails. Yet I want to see how he plays over the next two years before I give up on him if he doesn’t seem to have what it takes as an NFL QB. Hopefully I will be right about him and the Tua naysayers will be wrong. But if I do end up being wrong, it certainly won’t be the first nor last time I will be wrong in my life.

Heck, I was upset when the Dolphins drafted Marino in 1983 after Woodley had led the Dolphins to the SB. I thought at the time they had much bigger needs on the team than the 6th QB to be taken in the first round of that draft. So obviously I have not always been the greatest when it comes to judging a young QB coming out of college.

Obviously the Dolphins front office and coaching staff are following the plan I prefer. I could see a scenario where they decide to trade for Watson if Tua doesn’t improve dramatically in 2021 and the Texans haven’t already traded Watson. I just don’t see them trading for Rogers and based on the reports
in the media attributed to Rogers, he wants to be traded to a team out west.

I think the Dolphins are probably 3 years away from being a legitimate SB team, even with Rogers. I just don’t see them wanting to trade for a QB who will be over 40 before they have the talent to make a run at the SB. In that scenario, Watson would be the much better choice if Tua doesn’t work out.

By the way, how many QB’s from Clemson had any success in the last 60 years before Watson? None, but I guess that doesn’t fit into your belief just because Alabama hasn’t had a successful NFL QB since Namath, Tua will turn out to be a failure too.

It should also be noted that the University of Pittsburg has only had one decent QB to play in the NFL in its entire history and that was Marino. So implying that a QB will not have success in the NFL because of the college he attended makes no sense at all.
I have to think there have been more Alabama QBs drafted than from Pitt. I could be wrong, but Bama had 15 QBs selected, cant imagine Pitt had more.

I have to think there have been more Alabama QBs drafted than from Pitt. I could be wrong, but Bama had 15 QBs selected, cant imagine Pitt had more.
My point was that just because other QB’s from a school have failed at the NFL level doesn’t mean Tua will fail at the NFL level too. The reality is the two highest drafted Alabama QB’s over the last 6 decades before Tua were Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler. They both had successful careers in the NFL and both of them led their teams to SB wins.

The majority of the Alabama QB’s drafted over the recent years have been mid to late round QB’s who were never projected to be anything more than a backup QB or an emergency starter at the NFL level. So it wasn’t that they were failures at the NFL level. It was more that not that much was expected from them to begin with.

The reality is Alabama now has two starting QB’s in the NFL, Tua and Hurts, who played the majority of his career at Alabama. Ohio State is viewed as a great college football team and yet they have never had a QB who has had much success in the NFL. That certainly doesn’t mean Fields will be a failure in the NFL too.

In fact there are very few colleges which have at least 2-3 players who have had a lot of success at the QB position in the NFL. So when someone points out that Alabama has had little success producing starting quality NFL QB’s. The reality is that same statement could be made in regards to 99% of the colleges when it come to producing starting quality NFL QB’s.

The problem with your argument is, he did nothing to show he is an elite QB after 9 games. What he may have done with other team is a Monday morning quarterback argument.
My point is you can’t say anything definitive after 9 games

I use your logic. I give you this year Tua improves to the level of Watson or Rodgers, by your logic, there still no guarantee we make it to SB, or even make to playoffs.
So base on your logic, why waste time and energy to improve any group or position in the team. Getting an elite FA, say an all pro RB, does not guarantee SB or make it to playoffs. Why bother?
Dan we can go back and forth on this all day. You started this thread stating that the Dolphins would win the SB in 2 years if they trade for Rogers. Yet as I have pointed out previously in the thread, Rogers hasn’t been able to lead a more talented Packers team to the Super Bowl in over 10 years. So why you declare he will come to Miami and the Dolphins will win the SB in two years, you really have nothing to back up that claim. Yes Rogers is the better QB right now but that doesn’t ensure he can make them a better team than the Chiefs, Bills, Browns, Ravens, or the other teams which made the playoffs over the Dolphins last year. The Dolphins still have to drastically improve the OL and the running game before they are going to even make the playoffs, much less win a SB.

Obviously I would be happy to jump on your Rogers bandwagon if I knew for a fact he would lead the Dolphins to a SB win in 2 years. Yet I don’t see the Dolphins being a SB caliber team with or without Rogers in two years. I believe if they continue to build through the draft as they have been doing and Tua develops into the QB I believe he will, they can win more than one SB over the next decade, even if it takes a few more years to build that type of team .

I like you and I enjoy our discussions on here but I just don’t see us agreeing on trading for Rogers. Even though I do understand why you want it to happen. I guess the fact I was fortunate enough to be there for the Dolphin glory years allows me to be more patient with this rebuilt than Dolphin fans who have seen nothing but mediocrity for the majority of the past two plus decade.

I hope to see another Miami Dolphin team win a SB in the future and I would love to see Tua quarterbacking that team. Yet if he’s not, I will be happy to see the Dolphins win another SB, no matter who the QB might be.

How have they fared In the NFL? It’s been 60 years since one has even been mediocre. Not saying Tua can’t be the outlier, but he’d be the outlier.

Back
Top Bottom