Seau Says'Watermelon' Remark Was a Joke | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seau Says'Watermelon' Remark Was a Joke

This is silly

Jr isn't stupid enough to be blatantly racist and it's obvious that they have a comraderie going on. But the media is the media, and when dealing with the media you have to have accountability. I'm sure, they all joke with each other, even on passive racial tip. That's not uncommon. However, there's millions of people that idolize and watch these public figures (especially athletes) and the activists want to make sure that it's not acceptable ever. You can't blame them either. I know that what JR said was in jest, but once you let it slide publicly it slowly opens the gate for more blatant racial remarks. Just imagine if the remark was a slight towards jews.... It'd probably be a much worse backlash. becasue whether it's passive or aggressive, they want to assure that their is no room for public discrimination against them... And can you blame them?

JR needs to be more responsible in the media, because there are plenty of people that don't take any public racial slur or insinutaition in jest...

Just look at this quote. Seriously guys. Look at it. There is absolutely nothing racist about it.

Asked Wednesday how to limit Tomlinson, San Diego's running back, Seau told reporters: "You give him watermelon and load him up with fried chicken and tell him to keep eating."

Junior didn't do ANYTHING irresponsible here. Load him up with food and tell him to keep eating. Absolutely harmless.....and logically humorous.

Junior apologized for the reporters taking it the wrong way. But from what I'm getting out of this whole situation, you can never say the words "fried chicken" and a black person's name in the same sentence. Cmon. Are we as a society that far off?? The fact that I got that quote from the front page of ESPN.com tells me we are. :(

What the ....!!!! I love fried chicken and watermelon, and I am as lilly white as you can get. Should I be pissed at Seau????

Re: This is silly

Originally posted by rhadaddy
Jr isn't stupid enough to be blatantly racist and it's obvious that they have a comraderie going on. But the media is the media, and when dealing with the media you have to have accountability. I'm sure, they all joke with each other, even on passive racial tip. That's not uncommon. However, there's millions of people that idolize and watch these public figures (especially athletes) and the activists want to make sure that it's not acceptable ever. You can't blame them either. I know that what JR said was in jest, but once you let it slide publicly it slowly opens the gate for more blatant racial remarks. Just imagine if the remark was a slight towards jews.... It'd probably be a much worse backlash. becasue whether it's passive or aggressive, they want to assure that their is no room for public discrimination against them... And can you blame them?

JR needs to be more responsible in the media, because there are plenty of people that don't take any public racial slur or insinutaition in jest...

I have to disagree. It doesn't open the flood gates when you say the way you stop a runningback is by loading him up on his favorite foods and tell him to keep on eating. Just so happens that some of LT's favorite foods just happen to follow a stereotype.

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where he was dating the "Chinese" girl that wasn't really Chinese. That, and the episode where Jerry was dating the Native American chick that gave him the gift and then tried to take it back. Oh yeah, and the one that was on yesterday where George told Mr. Morgan he looked like Sugar Ray Leonard and then tried to prove that he had black friends. :lol:

No matter what situation arises in life, there's at least one Seinfeld episode that parallels it. :tongue:

This is absolute garbage. Like it's been said, you get full, he's a minority too, all of this. Media sucks. It's even a story 1,500 miles away in a land that is nowhere near Miami nor San Diego. Get over it. It was a freaking joke.

Not meaning to sound angry at you people because I'm not. I'm with y'all.....get over it.

You should see the guys on the Chargers boards. Most of them are not getting it. Just taking the media's word for it. :(

lmao, but of course. Remember, these are also the people that voted to make Arnie Schwarzenegger a GOVERNOR. No respect, I give these people no respect.

Ok.... Im troubled by the constant Media bashing going on here. Maybe Im a little biased being in the radio industry myself. I'll tell you this... when the Rush story broke out the first thing I thought was ..." oh no... he's gonna get chastized" and unfortunaltly he did. I had the oppertunity to talk about this on the air... and expressed how far the Media types have taken this.... and where is it gonna end. Is it going to get to the poing where America is so politically correct that any little racial remark you make(if your white) is going get you branded as a racist? Well... it happened.

Some People brought up Warren Sapp and his racist remarks. But it didnt seem that he took that much heat for them. He called NFL management slave drivers. Where's the uproar?? The media didnt call him racist. And anyone that did would be thought of as a biggot. It seems to the media and the rest of america think that blacks arent racist, and if they are they're allowed to be. Is that Ok? Equallity right?

Wow... Im going on and on. My point is this. Dont blame all of media... just like everything... there's good and bad. In reality, we just respond to what we're given. The news guys are supposed to report the news, not thier opinions. Sometimes the News gets a little blured with opinion. The talk guys just blab about what they think about the news.... and in the end, its the publics choice to make thier own opinion. You dont like what's on ESPN... dont make it a story. You have the power, in the end, its the publics decision

It's fine if you disagree

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree

I have to disagree. It doesn't open the flood gates when you say the way you stop a runningback is by loading him up on his favorite foods and tell him to keep on eating. Just so happens that some of LT's favorite foods just happen to follow a stereotype.

Like I said earlier, I don't think it's a racially motivated comment and I'm Jamaican American. However, given this countries disgusting racial past, and the stereotypes attached to slavery and black people, it's a very sensitive subject anyway you slice it. Are there white people who love watermelon and chicken, sure.. tons of em, especially in the south as well as black folks. But keep in mind when you associate certain words to describe minorities in this country, especially black people, you touch on a very sensitive subject. As stupid as it may seem, there are plenty of people who witnessed first hand in the sixties and seventies, the brunt of racial oppression in this country and that pain of those wounds are still very real. Becasue JR is a minority, the reprocussion won't be great, I don't think. However when you make a statement as innocent as JR made, To stop LT just fill him up with chicken and watermelon, someone who doesn't follow sports, but see's that quote can easily read it as a racial slur.

That's all I'm saying is being in a public figure and speaking to the media, he needs to be aware of what he says, because things can always be taken out of context.

btw RIP Fred "ReRun" Berry

- They're good friends.
- As teammates, they used to eat fried chicken every Friday.
- LaDainian Tomlinson himself said he wasn't offended.

The media needs to let it go.

========
Seau: Tomlinson remarks meant in jest
ABC: MIA@SD Mon., 9:00 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

DAVIE, Fla. -- Dolphins linebacker Junior Seau insists he meant no harm when he suggested the way to stop former teammate LaDainian Tomlinson is to feed him fried chicken and watermelon.

"I wasn't offended at all," Tomlinson said in response to Seau's comments. "You just have to know Junior."

Tomlinson acknowledged that he and Seau, while teammates the last two years with the Chargers, traditionally had fried chicken on Fridays.

Seau, who is of Samoan descent, later said he and Tomlinson, who is black, are friends and the comment was meant in jest. Seau was wearing a Tomlinson jersey when he made the comment.

"We ate that all the time. We'd have fried chicken every Friday," Seau said. "I'm sorry you guys took it that way. I should have realized it was an oversight on my part. I'm sorry it came out that way."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1644266

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Disgustipate
I dont think this will turn into a big deal.

Are you serious?

I'm sure The NAACP chapters are already preparing press releases to attack Seau on this. Today's world is rediculous! Everyone needs to chill but it will never happen.

Just watched NFL live on ESPN. They all agreed the media needs to let this story die. They couldn't believe it even went this far. good job nfl live!:D

Originally posted by madcow
Just watched NFL live on ESPN. They all agreed the media needs to let this story die. They couldn't believe it even went this far. good job nfl live!:D

I saw that too. I didn't realize Seau was on camera saying it.

Anyway, Cox said Seau is a good guy and this is a total non-story.

We knew that. :)

Back
Top Bottom