Senior Bowl Comment on Phillip Rivers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Comment on Phillip Rivers

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
I have now read almost the exact same comment twice this morning about Rivers' performance yesterday. Whilst the Miami papers are lapping up the fact that Marino watched Matt Schaub, JP Losman and Phil Rivers, this is what the real deal seems to be:

"From 10 yards in he is very accurate but the further down the field he throws, the more of an adventure it becomes."

We spent much of the day with the offensive line yesterday, especially Ohio State's Adrien Clarke, LSU's Stephen Peterman and KStates Nick Leckey.

Okay, who's quote is that? If you want credibility here dude you have to post the source.

from 2 different sites regarding Senior Bowl

Speaking of the signal-callers, North Carolina State's Philip Rivers drew mixed reviews. Very accurate in the short-passing game, Rivers displayed timing and touch on his throws. Yet the longer down the field he was asked to toss the ball, the more of an adventure it became. One pro personnel director in attendance applauded Rivers for his leadership skills and abilities. But when all is said and done, he considered Rivers a strong-armed version of Danny Wuerffel.

J.P. Losman and Philip Rivers - For guys that are borderline first round picks they did everything in their power to move into the 3rd round today. Losman made a lot of throws and reads that were very slow. Seemed like the patterns and plays were moving too fast for him. Seemed like he was more interested in showing everyone what a big arm he had and that was all. Philip Rivers spent a lot of time with the coaching staff as mechanics were discussed (surprise). He was the better of the two Qb's but that isn't saying much. I can forgive his performance because it looked like they were messing with his release point after his first throwing session. He kept his head up and kept plugging away. Matt Schaub looked better than both of these guys, he didn't have a great day but he didn't make any major mistakes.

Again, can we get a link??

Actually, you MUST give a link.

well, whatever is said about these guys this week, keep in mind, they are not playing with their guys, and number two, their not playing with their guys. also keep in mind, attitude is everything. Losmans probs seem to be attitude. Rivers seems to be (from this that he cant seem to connect long passes). I dont think i would buy into too much about this although it would be nice to see scouts try to make haste about him to keep his draftablility a possibility.:D

He was particularly impressed with Rivers, noting his ``really strong arm.'' (Marino)

That was the biggest concerns that some people on here had. I have seen Rivers play in a couple of games this year, and what they need to do is let him throw without messing with his release point. No quarterback that I know of would be accurate if people were changing his release point after throwing that way for 21 years.

Originally posted by finfan54
well, whatever is said about these guys this week, keep in mind, they are not playing with their guys, and number two, their not playing with their guys. also keep in mind, attitude is everything. Losmans probs seem to be attitude. Rivers seems to be (from this that he cant seem to connect long passes). I dont think i would buy into too much about this although it would be nice to see scouts try to make haste about him to keep his draftablility a possibility.:D

Another thing to consider is which team these scouts work for.
Maybe they want these guys to slip a little for one reason or another. stranger things have happened.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Stay away from Matt Schaub :mad:

He wants to play in Buffalo

Anyone who would WANT to play in buffalo has got to be out of their Forking Mind!

Matt schaub sucks clump, Josh Harris is where its at!

Originally posted by finfanatic
He was particularly impressed with Rivers, noting his ``really strong arm.'' (Marino)

That was the biggest concerns that some people on here had. I have seen Rivers play in a couple of games this year, and what they need to do is let him throw without messing with his release point. No quarterback that I know of would be accurate if people were changing his release point after throwing that way for 21 years.
:yes: the rest of the quote
The 6-5 Rivers, who was more impressive during rudimentary drills, has an odd release point -- near his ear -- but delivers the ball quickly.

''I don't think that's something you can change when somebody is this age,'' Marino said. ``I think most any coach would tell you that.''
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7750981.htm

I'm losing all confidence in Rivers really, of course I never had any anyway.

The only QB's I like are Ben and Eli.

Like I said in my other post..

IMO

Losman = Ryan Leaf (Can't read coverages if his life depended on it and bad attitude.)

Rivers = Probowl QB (I don't care what people say but he will very least good to great starting QB in the NFL.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom