Senior Bowl Comment on Phillip Rivers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Comment on Phillip Rivers

I should have said the only QB's I WANT are Eli and Ben.

Everyone else seems to be a crap shoot.

Anyone here realize that Jay is extremely acurate with his short throws and is more erratic the longer you ask him to throw?

We'd be spending our first on a young Jay.

Originally posted by minus
Like I said in my other post..

IMO

Losman = Ryan Leaf (Can't read coverages if his life depended on it and bad attitude.)

Rivers = Probowl QB (I don't care what people he wil be good to great starting QB in the NFL)

Well...I for one have always liked Rivers. The guy is smart, athletic, BIG, and reliable.

That said...I'm not a pro scout and will never be. Talent evaluators and pro scouts and the like get paid alot more than we do to do this, so I take notice to what they have to say. If they're saying he has trouble with the deep ball, OK. But one thing I have to wonder, are the mistakes he's making deep fixable via coaching?

I don't know....I'd like to see some in-depth, somewhat longer term analysis of these guys. Reckon we'll get that at the combine.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
I should have said the only QB's I WANT are Eli and Ben.

Everyone else seems to be a crap shoot.

Anyone here realize that Jay is extremely acurate with his short throws and is more erratic the longer you ask him to throw?

We'd be spending our first on a young Jay.

well that's about as off as you can be.

1. Rivers DOES have an arm. He can throw a 50 yard pass and hit the receiver IN STRIDE. Watch replays of the Tangerine bowl, and you'll see him do it TWICE

2. Jay is NOT accurate at short distances. He is constantly over, under, or behind the receiver. Rivers is spot on almost all the time. His throws have zip on them, and are accurate. Jay does short lobs well, but that is a bigger crap shoot than taking Rivers in the draft!

3. When Jay DOES hit the receiver, it is NEVER in stride. This is something Rivers does VERY well.

4. Rivers and DEFFINETLY thread the needle. Jay has on occassion done this, but it's ugly, and fails FAR more than not.

Rivers can stretch the field, has one hell of a zip on his pass, and is accurate as hell. He is NOT a Jay fiedler. His long balls don't go 70 yards, but they get there on time, not making the receiver camp or come back to the ball. I'll take a QB any day that can throw a 50 yard pass and hit the receier in stride over a QB that can throw a 70 yard pass, but can't hit the receiver in stride.

Apples and oranges buddy. You would see this if you actually WATCHED Rivers rather than read analysis reports. He is vastly under rated. What noodle armed QB throws for 5 TD's, 400, and has 2 passes over 50 yards in a bowl game, and has 70+% accuracy on the season?

also, keep in mind their is a lot of gamesmenship going on, if you are interested in a guy you wouldnt come out and say. he's the next big thing, and were gonna do everything we can to draft him.

If someone is not already a top 10-15 talent, then you want to keep them under the radar as much as possible so that you have a shot at him. Maybe even be able to trade down and get him later when draft day comes.

Though the analysis from the Sr. Bowl seems to be that Rivers has a problem with the deep pass, is that due to lack of arm strength or lack of timing?

I'd have to believe, since Danny said he has a strong arm, that its a timing thing. Repetition can cure that.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
I'm losing all confidence in Rivers really, of course I never had any anyway.

The only QB's I like are Ben and Eli.

I agree after hearing the probs Rivers is having going deep. That is big for us. The qb needs to spread/stretch the field and give ricky some room to run. Having hear this I vote for selling the farm to get Eli. He is strong enough to get it deep and a heady player. That is the most important quality in a qb.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan
Though the analysis from the Sr. Bowl seems to be that Rivers has a problem with the deep pass, is that due to lack of arm strength or lack of timing?

I'd have to believe, since Danny said he has a strong arm, that its a timing thing. Repetition can cure that.

I would guess timing. Also, they were experimenting with his throwing motion, trying to get him to throw at a higher point. THAT would screw a guy up after 20+ years of passing how he has. Also, he's never played with these receivers and all. Their going to be faster than what he has in a typical NC State game. I think he'll be fine, and your right. Marino came out and said "the QB needs to have an arm". And then he follows that up with "I'm impressed, Rivers has a strong arm". Those are great indicators. i think repetition as you said will make all the difference. I've watched Rivers for going on 4 years now, he's not a noodle arm :)

Originally posted by dreadlockera

I agree after hearing the probs Rivers is having going deep. That is big for us. The qb needs to spread/stretch the field and give ricky some room to run. Having hear this I vote for selling the farm to get Eli. He is strong enough to get it deep and a heady player. That is the most important quality in a qb.

I'm not going to argue that Eli is better. I want Eli more, but if push comes to shove, I want Rivers over most any other QB.....Roth and Rivers is 50/50 to me. I wouldn't trade up for Eli, but I wouldn't trade up for Roth either. However, if we trade up for Eli and miss...I guess I'd pick Roth, as Rivers would be a huge reach from up there. But IF we stay current, I'm rivers all the way.

I REALLY want to impress to people to watch some old film of Rivers. This whole arm thing is blown out of proportion. For arm strength, yes he is not at the top of this draft. But he is far from inadequate. He is a headsy player as well, makes good reads, and takes what he is given. This is evident by HALF the INT's that Losman threw, and a 70% completion rating on the year. He's heads up most of the time, and he did all of this without a true running game, and no real stud receivers on his team. his WR"s weren't flops, but Jerry Rice their not. (but then again, who is?)

Rivers deep ball might not be as bad as it seemed. When a QB is throwing to new targets. It is hard to guess his speed for the timing. Even without Dan there...lol

I still think the only two QBs that are worthy of a 1st round pick.
Eli ~ I would pick in the Top 3
Ben ~ I would pick in the Top 15 - 25.

I just have mixed feelings on Ben. I think a Top 10 pick could be a huge mistake for a team. That needs a QB within 2 seasons.

My Top 3 Players In The Draft:
1) Larry Fitzgerald (Should Be The Top Overall Pick)
2) Eli Manning (Should Be The 2nd Overall Pick)
3) Kevin Jones(Chances are he will drop to the 5th - 8th Overall Pick)

Let OGUN go for the Picks and trade the 1st rounder.
Toss in Jay.
Give the #20 pick also in the 1st round.
Give next years 4th that could turn into a 1st.
AND GET ELI MANNING!!!! From the Radiers.

Perspective

"A lot of people worried about him because he didn't have big legs and a big arm; all he did was move the ball and get touchdowns," George Young, the NFL's Senior Vice President of Football Operations recalled. At the time Montana came out of college, Young could have drafted Montana for the New York Giants but didn't. He took Phil Simms instead.

"I don't think the personnel community was too bright,"Young said.

"There have been and will be much better arms and legs and much better bodies on quarterbacks in the NFL," former teammate Randy Cross said of Montana. "But if you have to win a game, or score a touchdown or win a championship, the only guy to get is Joe Montana."

Finatic - I would have thought after years of posting accurate draft stuff you would trust me.

It's from TFY's Premium Section which is why I didn't post the link, as unless you've paid, you won't see it.

The most complete QB in the draft that has everything you look for in a QB is Phillip Rivers....

NFL CALIBER ARM
Acuracy
Smart
Not a statue

To go along with the intangibles that make him stand out from the rest(leadership skills,toughness,etc...)

Re: Perspective

Originally posted by lauderdale
"A lot of people worried about him because he didn't have big legs and a big arm; all he did was move the ball and get touchdowns," George Young, the NFL's Senior Vice President of Football Operations recalled. At the time Montana came out of college, Young could have drafted Montana for the New York Giants but didn't. He took Phil Simms instead.

"I don't think the personnel community was too bright,"Young said.

"There have been and will be much better arms and legs and much better bodies on quarterbacks in the NFL," former teammate Randy Cross said of Montana. "But if you have to win a game, or score a touchdown or win a championship, the only guy to get is Joe Montana."

Will you bring Bill Walsh in to "groom" this young man?

Originally posted by Boomer
Finatic - I would have thought after years of posting accurate draft stuff you would trust me.

It's from TFY's Premium Section which is why I didn't post the link, as unless you've paid, you won't see it.

You got my trust. :D

Then again it's always nice to have a link.

Then again, I already knew what was going to be said about Rivers.

Minus - you can't have seen Roethlisberger, Manning and Losman that much if you think Rivers is a complete QB. And as for the stuff about Losman having a bad attitude, that is absolute rubbish. It's an internet misconception that gets kicked around and it's BS.

THIS is the true story on Losman:
He is ****y without being arrogant. He certainly isn't a cancer. He is incredibly hard working, but just had some trouble at UCLA.

He was a Bruin fan as a birthright, always wanted to be a Bruin and was offered a scholarship by Bob Toledo apparently after the morning practice at a one-day camp during the summer after his junior season. The story goes that by dinner time he had committed.

The Bruins stopped chasing Kyle Boller who went to Cal and Chris Lewis who went to Stanford as Losman was THE guy in California. The #1 rated high school QB. He graduated early from Venice High to enroll at UCLA and it was post Cade McNown and he thought he would come in and challenge for the starters job - but he was 5th on the depth chart behind Drew Bennett, Scott McEwan, Ryan McCann and Cory Paus and he was rightfully concerned there was a log jam at QB that he might never get out of. I think the pressure of trying to be THE guy, with all his family on the sidelines, the local wonder kid, etc got to him. Apparently some players resented the image that he had as the glory boy from high school and he decided to leave for Tulane. The UCLA coaches were hacked off, but he went straight to Tulane, almost took Pat Ramsey's job - although the two don't really get on, Ramsey has admitted that Losman pushed him harder than he ever has been pushed and was one of the reasons he ended in the 1st round.

At Toledo he has done everything and more that has been asked of him, with really bad supporting cast. He's tough, his offensive players LOVE him, he has the cannon and is a leader. I read an article in the LA Times a while back that said he was given so much attention that at 16 years old he just couldn't deal with it and transferred not because he thought he should be the #1 but because he thought the pressure was driving him crazy at 16. I can understand that. His coaches at Tulane love him, he pushes everyone around him. I sat on a flight back from Boston in the summer and read ESPN the Magazine's article on him and he sounded a good guy.

This comment sums him up in my eyes:
"His name is J.P. Losman, and he's no flake. He was considered one of the top three high school quarterbacks in the nation, an academic whiz, a genuine good guy who didn't drink or miss church and only recently had the nerve to get an earring. He just felt he made a mistake. After all, you don't usually marry the first girl you set your eyes on."

IMO he would be a tremendous 1st round pick for the Dolphins. And he's a much better pro prospect than Rivers.

Back
Top Bottom