Senior Bowl Comment on Phillip Rivers | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Comment on Phillip Rivers

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Eli is good, if Ogun is the sacrificial lamb, then so be it...David Boston can do the job at DE..provided he doesn't change anymore light bulbs..

:confused: I think you are referring to "David Bowens" ...

:D

Marino1983

Cant we all agree that any of the top 4 rooks will be better than what we have ????? Jay is not accurate at any range its a misconception that he is, he SUCKS! Rivers may not have a cannon BUT ITS BETTER THAN JAYS F*NG rag. Losman may be a cowboy SO WHAT! please PLEASE lets just get a new QB its all I want for christmas. If its Roth or Eli so much the better Some of you support this guy or that guy do yourself a favor if the fins dont pick your "guy" just be happy and be supportive. AT LEAST IT AINT JAY!

Look we can sit here and argue back and forth all day as to who we all like, but the truth of the matter is that we have absolutely no say in the decision whatsoever. This is going to be who the front office decides they want, whether they even decide they want a qb in the early rounds.

For those who want to stay updated on the Rivers v Losman, heres Tuesday's report

The love-or-hate relationship continues with North Carolina State QB Philip Rivers. Where he will be drafted seems like one of the biggest mysteries in this year’s draft. Some scouts project he will go as high as the second round, while others cringe seeing him in person and find it difficult to imagine him commanding a franchise with his unorthodox throwing motion. Like Bernie Kosar, scouts say he gets rid of the ball quickly and is very accurate but looks ugly doing it. Other scouts say he has the quickest release since Dan Marino. With Marino re-entering the league and the Dolphins needing a quarterback, don’t be surprised if Rivers winds up in Miami. His excellent intangibles and leadership ability will likely make him a first-day pick. Rivers remained seated while taking reporters’ questions at the media’s steak night well after the rest of the players had departed.

Tulane QB J.P. Losman frequently underthrew or overthrew his target, which he attributed to a slippery grip on the ball.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2003/notebook012004.htm

Originally posted by minus
The most complete QB in the draft that has everything you look for in a QB is Phillip Rivers....

NFL CALIBER ARM
Acuracy
Smart
Not a statue

To go along with the intangibles that make him stand out from the rest(leadership skills,toughness,etc...)

How dare you take Eli Manning's name in vain!! ;)

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Wow check out this profile of Eli Manning by the guy who hates Rivers and Losman.

I've come to the same conclusion. IF some team gives us a fairly good first round pick for Ogunleye, then we should do all in our power to trade up for Eli Manning.

i wish us good luck, but im not betting on it in vegas. i would be out of my ever living mind.

See, I could give two flips about how "ugly" it looks. If he can get it there, on time, on the mark, and not get them batted down.....why would appearence matter??

I've seen Philip Rivers play several times, and everytime I see him, I think I am watching Bernie Kosar play again.

The similarities between the two are astonishing. Both are tall drop back passers. Rivers stands around 6-5, 230 lbs. Kosar was 6-5, around 225 lbs. Both have side arm release points. Both are very accurate passers. Both are typically mistake free quarterbacks.

When Bernie played for the Browns, that guy was one of the most accurate passers in the NFL, and he was known for his ability to avoid interceptions and avoid taking sacks. Back then, Marino and Kosar were always the least sacked quarterbacks in the NFL, and a lot of that had to do with how quickly they got rid of the ball.

Dan's throwing mechanics weren't the best there were either. He threw the ball from a higher angle than Kosar and Rivers do, but he wasn't a true overhand passer. A lot of quarterbacks throw the ball from a release point above their head. Marino's was from the ear. Kosar and Rivers throw it from a point below the ear.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG

Jay is KNOWN for being a good, accurate short passer and someone who has trouble with the deep ball.

You know nothing more about this than I do. We're both fans who have watched him on TV. This makes your opinion no more right than mine.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. It's a known FACT that Jay is all over, even on short passes. I suggest you watch your games on "tv" a little bit closer.

And your also wrong about me watching Rivers on TV. I lived in NC until this year, and I've met and seen Rivers in person. I was on the architecture team that made their new sports facility, and went and watched them play every chance I got, as well as have seen him throw in practice. He routinely hits his receivers from 50 yards out in practice, and he proved it in the Tangerine bowl. i've been following this kid's career since the day he took over at NC state. He's an amazing passer, and I think I'm a little more qualified beings I've seen Rivers throw in person, in game and in practice, and have followed him for 4 years, even before he was on the NFL scouts Radar, it would be a HUGE mistake to pass him up if we do not pursue eli.

And keep in mind, I'm at ISU, and have been a die hard ISU fan all my life. I have nothing to gain from RIvers doing well, but I would love nothing more than to see Sage step in and lead this franchise. There's a reason I want Rivers...it's because I love this team and he is that damn good.

Well I'll agree to disagree if you will. Watching him makes a person no more qualified in my mind than any one else. We're not scouts and college ball, as I said, means next to nothing when it comes to the pros.

I'm warming to the idea of taking him due to the fact we don't have a chance at the other top two and the tier after wards don't excite me much.

I will say I hate Jay Fiedler as much as anyone, but he gets no credit for being a good short passer, which he is. He's also a leader who gets the job done ugly, that just sounds alot like th things people say about Rivers.

I haven't gotten all bent out of shape and called names so please keep the debate about actual facts and reason and I'll listen to your opinion and hope you do the same.

Thanks

Will you guys just stop arguing. Just go and watch the Senior Bowl and somebody with no bias say how Losman and Rivers looked. Boomer maybe you.

Originally posted by Jaj
Will you guys just stop arguing. Just go and watch the Senior Bowl and somebody with no bias say how Losman and Rivers looked. Boomer maybe you.

So are you saying that Big O and Dan Marino are biased? As well as all the other teams wanting to talk to him?

I gotta disagree on Fiedler. I've seen enough of his passes to the RBs to tell you that he struggles even with short passes. See how he nearly made Ricky sterile against the Jets on a simple swing pass?? See how he got Chambers KO'd on an intermediate slant at Denver?? Those are two bad ones just off the top of my head. But I've seen Ricky have to turn around and break stride too many times coming out of the backfield.

Not saying that every pass the guy throws is bad. Just that he isn't an accurate QB.

Hey I love Fiedler as a leader and competitor, but he IS all over the place........I agree with Muck.

If you start at qb for four years an go to the draft you have the ability to be good in the NFL physically ess. if you were a strong an accurate passer. But in the NFL you have to have the Mental game Chris Weinke. In FSU you he throw the ball up it was caught that was it he got to the NFL he had the atheletic ability just did not have the mental part you could see it when he was on the field. With Rivers I believe he is the most mental prepared player in the draft. This guy carries hisself just as good as Marino on a game winning drive. When he is on the field he acts like it is just him an a reciever.

Marino meet with Rivers this week he must like what he sees they are saying Rivers has been fantastic so far.

Back
Top Bottom