Should the Dolphins trade for Ryan Ramczyk? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should the Dolphins trade for Ryan Ramczyk?

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
No kidding, The Saints could be 100 million over the cap this spring. Seriously, if the cap drops to 176 mil they are going to a place beyond hell because they are already in cap hell.

They can trade Marshon Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk and actually I don't think there is any chance that they don't. They are just so screwed it's phenomenal.

Ram is universally recognized as one of the best run blocking RT's , not just in the last few years, but ever. In 2019 he gave up zero sacks and played every game. In 2020 he showed some humanity and did give up 2 sacks. Kamara and Brees get all the credit but......

He is due 11 mil on his fifth year option. The saints could clear all of it.

Of the teams with more cap room than us, none of them would appear to be in the market for a RT. We could be the best trade partner here; nobody else has our kind of draft capital to work with.

If the Dolphins do sign Corey Linsley(#1 NFL center) in free agency and acquire Ram in trade it could give the Dolphins an offensive line like we haven't seen in memory. Not just great but deep as well.

No kidding, The Saints could be 100 million over the cap this spring. Seriously, if the cap drops to 176 mil they are going to a place beyond hell because they are already in cap hell.

They can trade Marshon Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk and actually I don't think there is any chance that they don't. They are just so screwed it's phenomenal.

Ram is universally recognized as one of the best run blocking RT's , not just in the last few years, but ever. In 2019 he gave up zero sacks and played every game. In 2020 he showed some humanity and did give up 2 sacks. Kamara and Brees get all the credit but......

Of the teams with more cap room than us, none of them would appear to be in the market for a RT. We could be the best trade partner here; nobody else has our kind of draft capital to work with.

If the Dolphins do sign Corey Linsley(#1 NFL center) in free agency and acquire Ram in trade it could give the Dolphins an offensive line like we haven't seen in memory. Not just great but deep as well.
Maybe not your memory....I remember a line that contained Norm Evans, Bob Kuechenberg, Jim Langer, Larry Little and Wayne Moore....

I like that plan

I thought you were exaggerating with the Saints salary cap. How did the Saints screw up that badly?!

Curious what Miami would have to trade to get him? Rather Miami take Penei Sewell if they're asking for a first. And I can't see Corey Linsley leaving Green Bay with the way Aaron Rodgers is still playing

Last edited:

Man that would be dope. Think it's a little bit of a stretch, but is awesome to think about.

I'd take a look at him... but I think his salary might be more than I'd want to add. I'm not saying no however.

I thought you were exaggerating with the Saints salary cap. How do you screw up that badly?!

Curious what Miami would have to trade to get him? Rather Miami take Penei Sewell if they're asking for a first. And I can't see Corey Linsley leaving Green Bay with the way Aaron Rodgers is still playing
How do you screw it up this badly?

First, you have an older team and a QB who is making a lot of money for a long time. Then, to keep your team together for that last year (or two), you convert two or three of your most highly paid player's salaries to bonus money in order to sneak under the salary cap. This allowed them to survive in 2019, and in 2020... but when these players leave... WHAMMO, all that bonus money comes due against the cap... and all at once.

If you've EVER seen a story where a veteran star consents to having his contract renegotiated, and you also hear that he didn't lose any money... this is what happened, and it is an eventual cap killer. It is the DUMBEST thing a GM can do unless he thinks he is in legitimate contention for that year's Super Bowl... and even then, it's not the wisest move.

The Chiefs are heading that way. When you consent to paying a QB as much as the top couple make, it is only a matter of time before you are over-extended.

The issue with that trade is it would require him to sign an extension with us. There really is no point giving up high picks for a rental player. Don’t think we are in the market to drop $20M per year on a RT.
To protect a leftie? Were #1 on the market. I would love to see Harris blasting out behind Ram.... Drooooool.

How do you screw it up this badly?

First, you have an older team and a QB who is making a lot of money for a long time. Then, to keep your team together for that last year (or two), you convert two or three of your most highly paid player's salaries to bonus money in order to sneak under the salary cap. This allowed them to survive in 2019, and in 2020... but when these players leave... WHAMMO, all that bonus money comes due against the cap... and all at once.

If you've EVER seen a story where a veteran star consents to having his contract renegotiated, and you also hear that he didn't lose any money... this is what happened, and it is an eventual cap killer. It is the DUMBEST thing a GM can do unless he thinks he is in legitimate contention for that year's Super Bowl... and even then, it's not the wisest move.

The Chiefs are heading that way. When you consent to paying a QB as much as the top couple make, it is only a matter of time before you are over-extended.

Appreciate the info! Yeah definitely seems like the Chiefs are heading that way with the contracts they handed out

To protect a leftie? Were #1 on the market. I would love to see Harris blasting out behind Ram.... Drooooool.
The team doesn’t really have the cap flexibility some people assume this season. We are on the hook for $157.2M in contracts already signed. Most of said contracts don’t have an out until 2022 at the earliest.

The team doesn’t really have the cap flexibility some people assume this season. We are on the hook for $157.2M in contracts already signed. Most of said contracts don’t have an out until 2022 at the earliest.
I know, its nice to think about though. :)

Well thought out. I hope Grier reads this

Back
Top Bottom