Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

I like X and want him to be a Dolphin.

However, X is not the deciding factor between us being a big time contender or no contender.

His age and injury history are too much of a risk for me to give ANY type of new contract. IMO this would be his last contract with us regardless (perhaps he's already got this vibe and has decided to make a pre-emptive strike).

If I'm Miami I'm trying to trade him now without hesitation. I don't want any distractions at camp and want to start day 1 preparing for life after him with Noah or whomever.

After hearing him on the Man to Man Podcast say that he played last year with the idea he was (his own words) "he was going to make the dolphins pay" for signing Jones AND bringing in a 1st rd CB, that made all the difference in the world to me. He is not a dolphin first. I know it is a business and I love LOVE his talent, but sometimes it is the RIGHT 53 over the best 53. That podcast let anyone who would listen know he has not bought in and is not a team first player. I truly fear he will be a locker room cancer if he stays. His stock is as high as it will ever be. He will be a star some where else but I still say get what ya can for him and move on.

Listen to the Man to Man podcast and then tell me what ya think.
Sorry if you are not supposed to repost podcast.

Last edited:
Comes down to his attitude and effort for me.

Turnovers play such a big part in determining the outcome of the game I would like Miami to keep him.

If he takes a James Harden approach, Miami has little choice but to trade him.

If Noah gives the staff enough confidence during camp that they feel X is expendable I say go for it.
Anyone who thinks this isn't a big topic of discussion when the boys at the top get together isn't paying attention.

X's future may well be determined by how far along a younger player has progressed. One whom he worked with, and helped over the offseason.

draft picks aren't going to help us fight for the super bowl this year, or likely next (as rookies).

although fun when draft time rolls around.

i need our team at it's strongest the next few years.

draft picks aren't going to help us fight for the super bowl this year, or likely next (as rookies).

although fun when draft time rolls around.

i need our team at it's strongest the next few years.
I agree with this, but only up to a point.

I think you are ALWAYS in rebuild mode when you are running an NFL team. Somebody wants to give you two #1s for your #1 this year, you always say yes. If someone offers you 4 #1s for those 2 #1s next year, you say yes again. You ALWAYS take this kind of value. You always consider moving your expensive players for capital.

Yes, you have to exercise those picks some time, but that takes care of itself, because when you keep doubling your assets, you do hit a point where no one can afford your pricing anymore and you are forced to make those picks.

You keep SOME of your 28 year old players, but not all of them... in the NFL, you are always recycling, moving on... So the question remains, is THIS 28 year old star who has had multiple knee issues worth it, and how many years do you see him continuing to be effective? My take has been, you lean towards moving these guys, only keeping them when they are excellent team players, as well as physically sound.

In my opinion, X is neither. Oh, he's a great player every other year, but you just cant trust his mindset or his knees-- you just can't, and that moves him higher on the trade list

After hearing him on the Man to Man Podcast say that he played last year with the idea he was (his own words) "he was going to make the dolphins pay" for signing Jones AND bringing in a 1st rd CB, that made all the difference in the world to me. He is not a dolphin first. I know it is a business and I love LOVE his talent, but sometimes it is the RIGHT 53 over the best 53. That podcast let anyone who would listen know he has not bought in and is not a team first player. I truly fear he will be a locker room cancer if he stays. His stock is as high as it will ever be. He will be a star some where else but I still say get what ya can for him and move on.
Thing is, I've never gotten that impression from X. Not that I'm in favor of of his position, but he seems to compartmentalize the different areas.

He didn't have to work out with Noah (among others). I don't think there are personal issues between players.

My opinion, it appears the organization set up the contract with the intent to move on next year. X, having had a spectacular season, is trying to leverage that into some security.

I get it, but the player really hasn't that much leverage here. From the teams perspective, if it means the timetable is moved up, but you recoup a rd1, and get some very useful, and flexible cap space as well?

I'm not hating it...... But I would prefer X playing and happy. I don't know what the chances are for that at this point.

I agree with this, but only up to a point.

I think you are ALWAYS in rebuild mode when you are running an NFL team. Somebody wants to give you two #1s for your #1 this year, you always say yes. If someone offers you 4 #1s for those 2 #1s next year, you say yes again. You ALWAYS take this kind of value. You always consider moving your expensive players for capital.

Yes, you have to exercise those picks some time, but that takes care of itself, because when you keep doubling your assets, you do hit a point where no one can afford your pricing anymore and you are forced to make those picks.

You keep SOME of your 28 year old players, but not all of them... in the NFL, you are always recycling, moving on... So the question remains, is THIS 28 year old star who has had multiple knee issues worth it, and how many years do you see him continuing to be effective? My take has been, you lean towards moving these guys, only keeping them when they are excellent team players, as well as physically sound.

In my opinion, X is neither. Oh, he's a great player every other year, but you just cant trust his mindset or his knees-- you just can't, and that moves him higher on the trade list
i'm always up for a Tunsil maneuver.

but, in general, i'm more apt to trade good players for picks when I'm more building than trying to make a run (and yes, I agree with always building).

i'm always up for a Tunsil maneuver.

but, in general, i'm more apt to trade good players for picks when I'm more building than trying to make a run (and yes, I agree with always building).
If X was a better person... less ego, no arrests, no connections to shootings... always speaking about the team rather than his own performance... I'd say, 'do it', but my character radar is flashing red on this guy... and as time goes on, as more of his self-serving quotes come out, I just can't see him here long term. With his attitude, he's gone from the team the second his play slips... Flo is not going to deal with him anymore than he dealt with Stills.

I ALWAYS thought that the drafting of Iggy meant Howard would be gone soon, and if this was the initial calculus, I doubt the Phins will pony up much more money or years. Indeed, they may dare him to skip regular camp just so they don't have to pay him. Howard took a risk by skipping minicamp... it may pay off for him, but he could be in Dallas... or Arizona. Not that he'll care if he gets his.

Thing is, I've never gotten that impression from X. Not that I'm in favor of of his position, but he seems to compartmentalize the different areas.

He didn't have to work out with Noah (among others). I don't think there are personal issues between players.

My opinion, it appears the organization set up the contract with the intent to move on next year. X, having had a spectacular season, is trying to leverage that into some security.

I get it, but the player really hasn't that much leverage here. From the teams perspective, if it means the timetable is moved up, but you recoup a rd1, and get some very useful, and flexible cap space as well?

I'm not hating it...... But I would prefer X playing and happy. I don't know what the chances are for that at this point.
The question is, is the team willing to talk contract with him now? After only one year into his new contract.

We are pretty sure he is unhappy now. And he will not be happy playing if he doesn't get a new contract.

So now is rather simple, if the team is not willing to give him a new contract, trade him now while his value is at the highest.

I'm leaning, "Yes" Howard has shown his true colors. If the story is true, about Howard's agent having already talked, trade to accommodate his client; in an effort to get more money; than it might be best to part ways.

He's missed a lot of time going back to his rookie season. While Howard is an interception machine, he's played lackadaisical at times too. I absolutely love Howard, but imo the Dolphins come 1st.
I’m for it ..he is rapidly closing in on 30. How did that work out when we did the same thing for rashad Jones?

Listen to the Man to Man podcast and then tell me what ya think.
Sorry if you are not supposed to repost podcast.

This just confirms, it might be best to part ways. He's obviously a me first player.

Two number one's for the next two years should do it. I wish he would stay but this is a business, he isn't too far gone to see that.

Back
Top Bottom