Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

Crowder on radio once said, every NFL player is their own company. They are their own LLC Inc. The company has about eight years to generate revenue. Loyalty and team first are a myth. If a productive veteran player got seriously injured, team will cut him without a second thought.

Look at it as two companies entering into contract negotiate while one company is not satisfy with the current arrangement.
That is exactly what it is, but that is entirely too superficial. To take that analogy further, this is a case where it gets much more complicated than the example.

First there is a rock solid "no compete" clause built into the system. Two random, public companies would rarely have an arrangement like that.

Second, there are built in punitive consequences to a player defaulting on a contract.

Crowder is not wrong that the player has to look out for himself, but you sign a contract in good faith.

This crap.....yes crap about teams not honoring contracts is absurd.

They honor the letter of a contract. If they didn't, they would be sued relentlessly.

All these contracts have total $ that are an illusion.

Players/agents know (or should know) the ramifications of what they are signing.

Dolphins don't need to do anything to accommodate Howard. He has absolutely no leverage, hold-outs are punished severely in the new CBA. And he also doesn't have a lot of trade value either. Expensive contract, questionable character and judgment, injury history. His one dynamic quality, interceptions, is not a stable metric.

Rumour has it Dallas and Raiders have made offers.
Wouldn't surprise me. Two dysfunctional franchises.

I haven't seen it anywhere but here though. Is it some speculative tweet? Or a beat writer trying to drum up clicks?

Hard to take most things seriously any more.

That is exactly what it is, but that is entirely too superficial. To take that analogy further, this is a case where it gets much more complicated than the example.

First there is a rock solid "no compete" clause built into the system. Two random, public companies would rarely have an arrangement like that.

Second, there are built in punitive consequences to a player defaulting on a contract.

Crowder is not wrong that the player has to look out for himself, but you sign a contract in good faith.

This crap.....yes crap about teams not honoring contracts is absurd.

They honor the letter of a contract. If they didn't, they would be sued relentlessly.

All these contracts have total $ that are an illusion.

Players/agents know (or should know) the ramifications of what they are signing.
Very well put

We’re in win now mode, this team is peaking in the next two years. If a reasonable agreement can be made absolutely not.
"Peaking" suggests a subsequent descent, I think the plan is to ride a plain with the upper echelon once we reach it, which should be in the next year or two. I see no indication of a drop-off, not the way we're building. We're not building for a short-term run here, we're going for the long haul of consistency. If we can get a first and maybe a second or third along with it, he's as good as gone. Do I want to see him gone? No, but based on their actions the past two years, I could easily see it happening, especially if he's stirring the pot...

"Peaking" suggests a subsequent descent, I think the plan is to ride a plain with the upper echelon once we reach it, which should be in the next year or two. I see no indication of a drop-off, not the way we're building. We're not building for a short-term run here, we're going for the long haul of consistency. If we can get a first and maybe a second or third along with it, he's as good as gone. Do I want to see him gone? No, but based on their actions the past two years, I could easily see it happening, especially if he's stirring the pot...
Wishful thinking. Beside NE, I don't see any recent teams reached SB can maintenance SB level play for more than two years. The odds are against you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom