Shula in Conference Championship Games | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shula in Conference Championship Games

Shula’s final ten seasons were not great. Averaged just under 9 wins a season, won the division only twice, missed the playoffs in 6 of those ten seasons, and won just one non-wildcard playoff game during that span— with one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.
Yes, BUT, to be fair that Bills team was a great dynasty and we were the only team who regularly challenged them for the division or even made for some interesting playoff games w them. Those 4 straight years they waltzed through the AFC w ease and we were the only team that gave them any type of difficulty. Shula was the greatest coach of all time. But wasn’t going to get us past that Bills team w HOFers up and down all three phases of their roster. They were incredible and deserved a SB win themselves. Bad era to be an AFC team.

That's true. He may have coached for too long.

I think he was so too loyal to some assistant coaches who didn't deserve to stick around as well.

Lots of bad drafts, so maybe he still outperformed the talent level of the team???
It’s debatable if he coached to long or not. He won plenty of playoff games in those last 10 seasons. Problem was most of them were WC games because we weren’t getting past the Bills to win the division. Except once - but they beat us in the title game as they should have as they were so so so much better than us.

I’ll take Shula at 41 or 65 on game day. Best game day coach I’ve ever seen. He knew how to manage a game.

I will miss seeing Shula on the sidelines til the day I die. I still remember the first game I saw Miami play live. '86 season opener in SD. It was almost a religious experience seeing him in person. Olivadotti's D gave up 50 that day.
I remember that game. A harbinger for what was to be such a weird season. Marino throws 44 TDs and we don’t make the playoffs. The defense gave up like 44 TDs per game lol.

I remember that game. A harbinger for what was to be such a weird season. Marino throws 44 TDs and we don’t make the playoffs. The defense gave up like 44 TDs per game lol.
'86 was the start of four consecutive years missing the playoffs. That was a pretty cool game actually. I mean we got thumped 50-28, but Marino threw four TDs. Fouts obviously went off too. Lots of offense!

'86 was the start of four consecutive years missing the playoffs. That was a pretty cool game actually. I mean we got thumped 50-28, but Marino threw four TDs. Fouts obviously went off too. Lots of offense!
I liked Fouts and that offense back then. Except when he caused me to cry in 1981...

Giving some respect to one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Shula was 6-2 in conference championship games, including his time in Baltimore.

Here's the list....

1968 34-0 Baltimore over Cleveland
1972 21-0 Miami over Baltimore
1973 21-17 Miami over Pittsburgh
1974 27-10 Miami over Oakland
1983 14-0 Miami over NY Jets
1985 45-28 Miami over Pittsburgh
1986 31-14 New England over Miami
1993 29-10 Buffalo over Miami

Shula's teams outscored their opponents 186-115 in those eight games, including three shutouts. In his first six conference championships, Shula's teams outscored their opponents 162-55.
Hey didn’t Shula lose a championship game to GB on a controversial FG that caused the league to raise the goalposts? The footage that exists really looks as though the kick as no good but the refs - who didn’t really know how to call it (you could see it) went arms up. It was pre SB era of I recall. Am I making this up?

My buddy and I left during the fourth quarter of that game and I missed seeing Strock throw a TD to Nat Moore. I just looked it up. Now I'm pissed! I always thought Marino threw four. I saw his three tho

It’s debatable if he coached to long or not. He won plenty of playoff games in those last 10 seasons. Problem was most of them were WC games because we weren’t getting past the Bills to win the division. Except once - but they beat us in the title game as they should have as they were so so so much better than us.

I’ll take Shula at 41 or 65 on game day. Best game day coach I’ve ever seen. He knew how to manage a game.
So, a little off topic, but I looked this up for you. I know we talked about it before.

David Woodley was 17 of 22 for 195 yards and two touchdowns, one interception in the playoff win over San Diego. That was a passer rating of 114.8.

As we have discussed, he was considered a rising talent at that time. A lot of people have debated not going to Don Strock earlier, but Woodley really was the teams future at that time.

Of course, no one could have anticipated that Dan Marino would fall to 27 either.

Hey didn’t Shula lose a championship game to GB on a controversial FG that caused the league to raise the goalposts? The footage that exists really looks as though the kick as no good but the refs - who didn’t really know how to call it (you could see it) went arms up. It was pre SB era of I recall. Am I making this up?
No, you're right. I remember seeing it on Shula's 'A Football Life'. The kick was wide, but the ref (Jim Tunney, I think) called it good.

So, a little off topic, but I looked this up for you. I know we talked about it before.

David Woodley was 17 of 22 for 195 yards and two touchdowns, one interception in the playoff win over San Diego. That was a passer rating of 114.8.

As we have discussed, he was considered a rising talent at that time. A lot of people have debated not going to Don Strock earlier, but Woodley really was the teams future at that time.

Of course, no one could have anticipated that Dan Marino would fall to 27 either.
I think in ‘82 Strock stayed on the bench almost - if not - the entire year. That said, I recall pining for him to come in sometime in the 3rd quarter. Especially after Duhe picked off Theisman at the Skins 40. Even if we had gotten 3 there it may have ended differently. By the time the 4th came around we just didn’t get enough at bats and missed our window to put Strock in. I do think that was a missed opportunity as while the Skins were the better team, perhaps we steal the game. And we definitely steal it if Theisman doesn’t make the best DEFENSIVE play of the game. People don’t talk about it enough but a QB chasing down a would be pick 6 and playing pass defense to save the SB? Easily the best play he made all game.

No, you're right. I remember seeing it on Shula's 'A Football Life'. The kick was wide, but the ref (Jim Tunney, I think) called it good.
That was a shame and probably Tunney was a bit influenced by one coach being Lombardi and the other a young guy who didn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. Unless it’s super distorted on film, it was no good and Shula should have had a world championship there. Thanks for responding.

I believe you are referring to the game where Shula used running back Tom Matte at quarterback due to injuries.

I think it was a playoff game, a 10-7 loss with that controversial kick.

To nearly beat a Vince Lombardi Packers team with Matte at quarterback was definitely a wow moment for a young Don Shula.

I think in ‘82 Strock stayed on the bench almost - if not - the entire year. That said, I recall pining for him to come in sometime in the 3rd quarter. Especially after Duhe picked off Theisman at the Skins 40. Even if we had gotten 3 there it may have ended differently. By the time the 4th came around we just didn’t get enough at bats and missed our window to put Strock in. I do think that was a missed opportunity as while the Skins were the better team, perhaps we steal the game. And we definitely steal it if Theisman doesn’t make the best DEFENSIVE play of the game. People don’t talk about it enough but a QB chasing down a would be pick 6 and playing pass defense to save the SB? Easily the best play he made all game.
That possession, following Duhe's pick, was probably the most disappointing in Miami Dolphins history. Had to get something there.

Maybe a fake punt on 4th down. Something. Anyway, yes Strock should have entered earlier.

That possession, following Duhe's pick, was probably the most disappointing in Miami Dolphins history. Had to get something there.

Maybe a fake punt on 4th down. Something. Anyway, yes Strock should have entered earlier.
I agree and don’t think that’s a bit of hyperbole at all. SB win within reach and a 3 and out after the D set us up in great FP.

Back
Top Bottom