Si: Ccould Miami Sneak Into The Afc Playoff Picture? 10 Thoughts On The 2018 Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Si: Ccould Miami Sneak Into The Afc Playoff Picture? 10 Thoughts On The 2018 Dolphins

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
images

1. Miami’s biggest offensive problem last season was not Ryan Tannehill’s injury, Jay Cutler’s divergences, O-line coach Chris Foerster’s infamous video, Julius Thomas’s disappearance or the wide receivers’ inconsistency. It was the offensive line, which head coach Adam Gase never fully trusted. Every 3rd-and-long became a checkdown drill and primer for punting. Gase’s once-potent receiver screen game became ubiquitous and predictable. The ground game became an afterthought.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/08/miami-dolphins-2018-nfl-preview

Wow, a rare comprehensive, in-touch look from national media. Can't disagree with much here, they didn't mention the push for "culture-change" or the multiple coaching changes but nice read anyway.

Offensive line looks improved imo so this excuse goes away this year. I expect 10 6 and not this as a issue.

Yep, been saying this for a while....the OL has been the biggest issue (along with drafting) for this team for at least a decade. Even with 4 first rounders (Pouncey, James, Albert, and Tunsil) on the line, we were in the mid 20's.......but we won games with the starters in there at a high rate. The issues have been injuries and not just bad depth, absolutely sad jokes at depth across the OL. Hopefully this new group can at least be average and stay healthy!

Good thing they addressed our biggest weakness in the draft. Oh wait...

I liked the read. I agree that this team is closer to the 10-6 team ratger than the 6-10 team.

I've always said that it starts up front in both sides of the ball. On paper it'd seems the O-line should be better this year but they haven't played a down together yet. Time will tell and I'm really hoping they can put it together this year.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't......investing in the OL.

We've heard the knock for years that we've spent all this draft capital and still can't put together a solid complete season out of the OL.

It's not a shock the OL was what it was last year. Tunsil playing RG his rookie did himself and the team no favor's in the long run, with the hindsight of RT's injury derailing the season.

LT at LT in 2018 should be a huge improvement. Even if he's not All-Pro, I think it's safe to say if he's healthy, he's not a concern.

Ju'Wuan James is a concern. Hard to point to another 1st round pick who's been a starter from day 1 and be this much of an enigma. I don't see a big extension in his future. If Jesse Davis proves to be a valuable RG this year, he'll prove to be an even more valuable RT next year. We have the potential to be an above average unit easily if health isn't a concern. That's why you have guys like Kenyan Drake though. Dude can put stats with average blocking, give him slightly better and we do his thing.

Sitton/Kilgore is a fresh start for entire OL without changing that much about the core. Moving on from Pouncey was necessary if you believe cohesion is important in OL play. Couldn't pay that hip that kind of coin to not practice.

Maybe for once, not drafting an OL will lead to better results.

the only thing I don't understand is, while Pouncey to Kilgore is likely a downgrade in mobility Davis is the same player and is Sitton less mobile than Bushrod?

Back
Top Bottom