Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
Even Tyreek Hill in all of his glory needs specific placement off the line and in motion to get off the jam.

Does anyone here actually think we have the offensive creativity to use this guy in the same capacity?

We have three injury prone WRs as is. Do we really need another who won't be able to get off the jam?
Nothing so far to suggest Smith is injury prone

Even Tyreek Hill in all of his glory needs specific placement off the line and in motion to get off the jam.

Does anyone here actually think we have the offensive creativity to use this guy in the same capacity?

We have three injury prone WRs as is. Do we really need another who won't be able to get off the jam?
Watch him play then comment

If someone can go ahead and link me data showing that ACLs snap easier at lighter weight then maybe I'd care.

There are only two factors weight plays as a WR:
1) Get bullied during press. This isn't even a thing because teams stopped trying to press him because he destroyed it so effortlessly in college against 1st round quality corners.
2) Their ability to block on the outside for designed run plays. If he's as good as advertised, I'm running him out on routes anyway and he'll just take the corner with him instead of having to block him.

People are overthinking this pretty hard.

DeSean Jackson was 169lb at the combine. Shorter and he was a burner but he made a very good career being a featherweight WR.

Smith is a natural wide receiver. He won't be that physical, hard nosed receiver but he finds ways to get open. Excellent route runner with hands of gold.

I don't really think the weight is a huge issue.

He may get bullied early on by the legit press corners in this league but the team can be creative to move him around to avoid those guys early on

Hopefully he adds 10lbs to his frame in between his first and second year. No one needs another Pat White situation.

No one needed Pat White to begin with. Everyone needs a Devonta Smith. While he's never been my personal target at 6, I never saw a problem with him ending up a Dolphin with our first selection.

Devonta Smith will make any team he's on much, much better. The same can be said about 3-4 other guys so it's all part of the evaluation.

Pat White failed because Pat White sucked. Not because of his size. For all that Parcells and Belichek know about football, they are just as bad at projections as everyone else.

I think it’s so funny seeing people be like, ‘Well at 175 that was a bit light but I’d have taken him but at 166 there’s NO WAY.’

Like those nine pounds are the end of the world. The kid is going to ball in the NFL.
175 -> 166 -> 160 (in all reality)

Hes going down every time I look. That's not the direction I was hoping. And he was already near my limit for lightness. People do have their breaking points with prospect and for me, him hiding his weight at every opportunity only to show up 9 lbs lighter than was being claimed by people in his camp... Im sorry but... I take that at 18. Not at 6.

If someone can go ahead and link me data showing that ACLs snap easier at lighter weight then maybe I'd care.

There are only two factors weight plays as a WR:
1) Get bullied during press. This isn't even a thing because teams stopped trying to press him because he destroyed it so effortlessly in college against 1st round quality corners.
2) Their ability to block on the outside for designed run plays. If he's as good as advertised, I'm running him out on routes anyway and he'll just take the corner with him instead of having to block him.

People are overthinking this pretty hard.
I can think of several situations that weight plays a factor in scheming a receiver's offense... not to mention I'm going to challenge the statement that "teams are just going to to not press him because hes so good at beating it." He WILL face the jam, and every corner he faces will likely be damn good at it.

He's damn good and he produced well in a stacked offense. I just am really, really concerned he's limited physically. But, again, his ability is enough to make me forget that and draft him 18.

Back
Top Bottom