Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
I can think of several situations that weight plays a factor in scheming a receiver's offense... not to mention I'm going to challenge the statement that "teams are just going to to not press him because hes so good at beating it"

I get what you're getting at but that level of hyperbole almost made this a non-starter for me.
If you think press is an issue for him, I don't believe you REALLY watched him in college. If the weight scares you off that's fine, but you don't need to make up reasons to dislike it.

It's weird to me that people will routinely say things like, "Well yeah he destroyed press in college, but is that really going to happen in the NFL?!" Nobody seems to say, "Well yeah 6'1" Chase destroyed corners with jump balls in college, but is that really going to happen in the NFL?!"

Those opposing Smith due to his weight claim nfl defenders are bigger and stronger than they are in college but ignore the fact that Smith can get bigger and stronger just like every other player who enters the NFL.

Folks are bolder than I am if they are willing to draft him top 15. He’d be standing alone if he becomes an elite receiver that managed to stay healthy at that weight. I’ll pass

If you think press is an issue for him, I don't believe you REALLY watched him in college. If the weight scares you off that's fine, but you don't need to make up reasons to dislike it.

It's weird to me that people will routinely say things like, "Well yeah he destroyed press in college, but is that really going to happen in the NFL?!" Nobody seems to say, "Well yeah 6'1" Chase destroyed corners with jump balls in college, but is that really going to happen in the NFL?!"

Yes, I do. Constantly. Everyone in the league questions folks ability to produce in the NFL. The main argument against Chase is that he's not refined - he just muscles out corners - and that he'll struggle to do it in the NFL. So - not sure where that's coming from. Moving on to your next silly argument -

"Really watch him!!!" in response to... me asking you to support your claim. Okay, well, I've seen this said a few times this thread so that sure seems to be today's phrase of the day!

Where did I make up anything about him? Where did I even make a claim about him in what you quoted ? I never made up any reasons to dislike the guy - I challenged ridiculous hyperbole that he wont face press coverage because hes so good at beating it. A fair challenge that you yourself haven't really backed up. I believe it's based on empirical evidence against "first round" grade CBs from the SEC.

To me... that's not a real argument. Igby was a #1 SEC Corner and he got beaten really bad in press coverage by several guys in the league his rookie season.

I challenged your statement and you're heaping assumptions and context onto it that simply aren't there.

As a personal question - when you're quoting and talking to me, why say "people"? Is that how you talk to everyone? It comes off as weirdly passive aggressive. Address the person you're talking to. I cant imagine how people would react if someone did this in the middle of a meeting or in court.

Last edited:
....weighing more is gonna help him not get knocked out by a blow to the head?
Actually yes Travis.

More body weight to absorb the blow, when you're that light you tend to get more whiplash. The distance your body will travel after a hit will be greater then a person of larger size, creating a much more violent whiplash.

Yes, they do. Constantly. I never made up any reasons to dislike the guy - I challenged ridiculous hyperbole that he wont face press coverage because hes so good at it. Based on - empirical evidence against "first round" grade CBs from the SEC. That's... not a real argument. Igby was a #1 SEC Corner and he got beaten really bad in press coverage by several guys in the league his rookie season.

I challenged your statement and you're heaping assumptions and context onto it that simply aren't there.

As a personal question - when you're quoting and talking to me, why say "people"? Is that how you talk to everyone? It comes off as weirdly passive aggressive.
Because these posts are public discussion and my context can switch from talking directly to you to generic questioning that others can respond to.

Will he get pressed in the NFL? Absolutely. Do I think it won't be an impediment to him? Absolutely. If teams thought press would destroy him then he wouldn't be drafted in the first round at all because it's a non-starter and it's really a binary position to take as either the lack of weight gets him beat right off the snap or it doesn't.

Tyreek Hill is 5'10" 185. How often do people try and press him? Would you if you were a DC? What I see is corners routinely sitting 10 yards back. Now I'm not saying Smith has that kind of speed, but it's certainly good enough to run right by guys trying to press which is always the risk you take if you try to press in the first place, and that's what he routinely did in college despite being the focal point of the pass defense on every snap.

166 is really small for the NFL. Like someone else said earlier in this thread..... This probably drops him out of the top 10. That’s my guess anyway.

This Year:

Gas Mask = Weight Scale

I love it. Smith falls in our lap at 18. A thing of beauty!

Been saying it for a while. He falls due to the numbers matter more than tape crowd that some franchises are run by and Miami takes Waddle at 6 and him at like 14 after a trade up.

God forbid this dude goes to the Pats and dominates Miami for 10 years. Crow would go extinct from all dinners we would have to make but nobody will eat it since humility is not a strong trait on message boards

I'd trade (4) Devanta Parkers and all the Watson Taint lickers on this board for a shot at drafting Smith....

Been saying it for a while. He falls due to the numbers matter more than tape crowd that some franchises are run by and Miami takes Waddle at 6 and him at like 14 after a trade up.

God forbid this dude goes to the Pats and dominates Miami for 10 years. Crow would go extinct from all dinners we would have to make but nobody will eat it since humility is not a strong trait on message boards
It happens every year, where players tend to fall for odd reasons.

Because these posts are public discussion and my context can switch from talking directly to you to generic questioning that others can respond to.
Frankly it's wrong and lame of me to even argue this portion, this isn't a professional setting nor should I hold you to that standard of communication, but I wanted to more point out the passive aggressiveness of the question itself for the overall use of the board. It's a grating way to talk to people.

And now you're trying to tell me you posted that not as a snarky little sassy comment but as a general question to the open public for your eventual education? I absolutely do not buy that. Lets at least pretend we both know the other is not an idiot!

Back
Top Bottom