Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 47 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
I've probably seen them 50 or 60 times.

I think seeing them live so many times, you might have missed the rest of the catalog and what a seminal band they were for rock music (especially heavy rock music) in 1972, 1973, etc.

I love Cheap Trick, and Robin Zander does have a better voice than Buck or Eric, but BOC could never be classified as a B band.

Too many great albums, too much great material, too much influence on the genre.

Once Albert was kicked out at Castle Donnington in late 1981, things were never the same. There might have been some B band material and shows from 1982 on, lol.
Well... okay, I forgive you.

As a new coach I had to do a lot of film review and scouting last year for the team i volunteered for. When you watch a play develop there are eleven people trying to execute assignments on each end. My issue with analytics is that yeah it can help you make real time decisions, but player evaluation is important without the numbers. Each position has its own stance, its own job and how they execute on a given play. If one guard or linebacker is out of position it can create huge problems for everybody else. The film is important because how well a player can play his position. Analytics and numbers cannot do that.

A good example was this year we played a team with a very good receiver. His stats looked great three games in and he seemed like he was going to give us a ton of trouble. The DC and i noticed though when breaking him down that he would not be in a proper stance if a run play was called. He would stand straight up and slow his release. Another give away was on any play where he was not a read in the passing game, he would run very sloppy routes and do a weird hesitation/hop step at the release point. We ended up giving him his worst game of the season at that point, and won a close game because of spotting things like that.

In conclusion it is really important to acknowledge the film and use that as the primary evaluation tool. The game is won and lost by players executing their assignments and knowing how to play sound football. You can draft prototypes and go by the numbers but it you better make sure who you draft can play his position. If not the numbers wont matter
Today's NFL has become a game of matchups much like the NBA. With this shift in focus, RB's--traditionally the focus of every defense--have become de-emphasized as other offensive weapons are utilized more often. Traditional in-line TE's are used less often and FB's have almost entirely gone from the game. The Harbaugh's are just about the last coaches to value a FB as more than an additional role of a RB. And right now, only one Harbaugh is even coaching in the NFL.

The emergence of the Move TE who is like a huge slot receiver has created a mighty chess-piece of mismatches. Too long and physical to be adequately covered by a CB and too fast to be covered by a LB, he's a coverage nightmare. Generally, the SS needs to pick him up, so if the TE runs deeper routes, the SS is out of position to defend the run, and generally defenses only have 2 LB's so if a run breaks the linebacker corps, it's opened up for a big gain.

Similarly, the disappearance of the FB has led to many 3 WR sets, sets with 3 WR's + 1 TE, and even 4 WR sets flooding the pattern with quality pass catchers at every level. OC's are also employing ultra-quick RB's like Lyn Bowden Jr. who can also be jitterbugs running routes and absolute nightmares for LB's because of their quickness and late entry into the pattern.

The OC is now just looking to create one mismatch and exploit it. And in today's game, that scouting that you do for your team is the essential difference between dominance and defeat. Kudos to you. Keep it up.

Today's NFL has become a game of matchups much like the NBA. With this shift in focus, RB's--traditionally the focus of every defense--have become de-emphasized as other offensive weapons are utilized more often. Traditional in-line TE's are used less often and FB's have almost entirely gone from the game. The Harbaugh's are just about the last coaches to value a FB as more than an additional role of a RB. And right now, only one Harbaugh is even coaching in the NFL.

The emergence of the Move TE who is like a huge slot receiver has created a mighty chess-piece of mismatches. Too long and physical to be adequately covered by a CB and too fast to be covered by a LB, he's a coverage nightmare. Generally, the SS needs to pick him up, so if the TE runs deeper routes, the SS is out of position to defend the run, and generally defenses only have 2 LB's so if a run breaks the linebacker corps, it's opened up for a big gain.

Similarly, the disappearance of the FB has led to many 3 WR sets, sets with 3 WR's + 1 TE, and even 4 WR sets flooding the pattern with quality pass catchers at every level. OC's are also employing ultra-quick RB's like Lyn Bowden Jr. who can also be jitterbugs running routes and absolute nightmares for LB's because of their quickness and late entry into the pattern.

The OC is now just looking to create one mismatch and exploit it. And in today's game, that scouting that you do for your team is the essential difference between dominance and defeat. Kudos to you. Keep it up.
All cred it to the DC actually. Some coordinators wouldn't care or know what to do with that information.

I'd say the FB had been redefined as the H-Back in today's NFL. Depending on the offense he is either a second rb or te/fb hybrid. As the defenses move toward positionless assignments, it makes sense having players who know multiple assignments.

The rb being ignored is one of the huge mistakes of defensive coordinators today. Steve Sarkisian made a living this year of running back passes and runs. The smaller personnel and deeper coverages left a ton of room for Harris to move through. Sure Smith helped in that championship, butnlook at how much space Harris had to move. It's important to involve your rb in the passing game. He isn't the easiest guy to cover.

You could make the production argument for every single one of these Alabama wrs.

How do his number against press compare to that of Henry Ruggs who is damn near a spitting image?

How did Ruggs game transition last season in a very potent offense?

Spoiler, could not get off the jam....
I’d say Ruggs is more like Waddle than Smith. JMO

If he could, he would have already. He struggles to put on weight - it's why he's been avoiding the scales everywhere he goes unless he *has* to.

He's still absolutely a playmaker but suddenly it was 'well 175 isnt too bad! Its only 10 away from 185 and lots of guys were 6 foot 185!" Then it was 170... which okay Chad Johnson claims he played A LOT at 6'0 170...

Now its 166? Im sorry but no. Just no. I understand the love of the Heisman and the dude runs comebacks + hitches like no one the draft has seen, but Im sorry... hes going ot be 15-40 lbs lighter than every corner he faces. He's fast but he's not Waddle. I just don't like this guy @ 6. I'd absolutely take a mid 1st flyer on him - his production and polish absolutely warrants the risk.
A mid first flier ? Who ever uses a mid first on a “flier”. That made me laugh actually so thanks.

Also why I have Smith as my top rated WR. He has it all. 166 pounds is a question mark, regardless what anyone here tries to say. It has to make you hesitant. But for me, I still think he’s the total package of skill, smarts, technique and work ethic. I’m willing to roll the dice on his weight personally.
I think you get to a point in an evaluation where you’re just like, I’m willing to take on the risk, and if it doesn’t work out, it’s on me, I’ll take the hit..

bottom line he is worth the risk.

A mid first flier ? Who ever uses a mid first on a “flier”. That made me laugh actually so thanks.
By its very definition a flier is more about the decision than the actual value of the pick. Sorry for your confusion.

also, it happens a bit, albeit not in every single draft of course. But regularly you’d see folks taking risky draft picks - say on an injured but studly linebacker, just like Dallas, with a top 40 pick. That was a few years ago though, may have slipped your mind.

Albert Breer is reporting Smith came in at 6’ and 166 pounds at his medical recheck last week.

View attachment 74396With all the rumors about the Fins trading down I really hope that doesn’t happen.

IMO Chase and Pitts are now clearly above him and Waddle as well.
Ballers a baller regardless of stature. Thats whats makes them different.

By its very definition a flier is more about the decision than the actual value of the pick. Sorry for your confusion.

also, it happens a bit, albeit not in every single draft of course. But regularly you’d see folks taking risky draft picks - say on an injured but studly linebacker, just like Dallas, with a top 40 pick. That was a few years ago though, may have slipped your mind.
No one by their own definition is taking a flier in the first round. Nobody. Whomever they pick is someone they believe in at that investment value. Risk is also relative and the media risk rating will be different than the team picking in the first round.

As I've gotten older, I've discovered the beauty of the larger bar shows...
I lived near Hollywood and have seen great, slightly older bands... in settings of 100-500 fans.
Just way.. way better than the big halls.

The Roxy, the Viper Room, Music Box... there's this place literally in the middle of Skid Row...forgotten the name now.

Now that I'm in Minnesota, there is 2nd avenue/7th avenue... just the BEST way to see a show.

Back in the 80s, I was a huge mosh pit guy... Black Flag baby! Bruised but came home all lit up.
Buck Cherry...

Dead Kennedys...

There are too many.
Loved all 3 Hollywood joints. Can't think of any skid row joints off hand. I've played the Angel City Brewery near skid row, but doubt big rock acts did.

Back
Top Bottom