Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 48 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
Today's NFL has become a game of matchups much like the NBA. With this shift in focus, RB's--traditionally the focus of every defense--have become de-emphasized as other offensive weapons are utilized more often. Traditional in-line TE's are used less often and FB's have almost entirely gone from the game. The Harbaugh's are just about the last coaches to value a FB as more than an additional role of a RB. And right now, only one Harbaugh is even coaching in the NFL.

The emergence of the Move TE who is like a huge slot receiver has created a mighty chess-piece of mismatches. Too long and physical to be adequately covered by a CB and too fast to be covered by a LB, he's a coverage nightmare. Generally, the SS needs to pick him up, so if the TE runs deeper routes, the SS is out of position to defend the run, and generally defenses only have 2 LB's so if a run breaks the linebacker corps, it's opened up for a big gain.

Similarly, the disappearance of the FB has led to many 3 WR sets, sets with 3 WR's + 1 TE, and even 4 WR sets flooding the pattern with quality pass catchers at every level. OC's are also employing ultra-quick RB's like Lyn Bowden Jr. who can also be jitterbugs running routes and absolute nightmares for LB's because of their quickness and late entry into the pattern.

The OC is now just looking to create one mismatch and exploit it. And in today's game, that scouting that you do for your team is the essential difference between dominance and defeat. Kudos to you. Keep it up.
I love when a pass catching RB is placed not just in the slot, but outside the WR's on the boundary. It screws with the defensive schemes so much. (See Gaskins TD late vs the Raiders, or Drake's long catch from Smoking' Jay 2018 vs Pats MNF, among others). Or putting a TE like Pitts or Gesicki way outside.

No one by their own definition is taking a flier in the first round. Nobody. Whomever they pick is someone they believe in at that investment value. Risk is also relative and the media risk rating will be different than the team picking in the first round.
Your last sentence, by its very logic alone agrees with me so I’m not really sure what you’re trying to argue here. Your understanding what “take a flier” means doesnt seem to match society’s.

It almost universally means to take a large risk.

Let’s leave it at that. Seems like a silly thing for you to be getting upset over. Probably better served to focus on the actual draft prospect(s) for the rest of the threads sake.

Loved all 3 Hollywood joints. Can't think of any skid row joints off hand. I've played the Angel City Brewery near skid row, but doubt big rock

Loved all 3 Hollywood joints. Can't think of any skid row joints off hand. I've played the Angel City Brewery near skid row, but doubt big rock acts did.
Texas Hippy Coalition and Granny4Barrel... great show... wild location.

Think it had a 3 digit name... 547 club or something like that.

Honestly... right in the middle of skid row.

Texas Hippy Coalition and Granny4Barrel... great show... wild location.

Think it had a 3 digit name... 547 club or something like that.

Honestly... right in the middle of skid row.
THC? It's gotta be a bit more recent than I was imagining, no? *Middle* of skid row, as bad as it's gotten? wow. Both those bands are still around as far as I know, but THC can't have been around more than 15 years or so. Bit too rough for this jazz guy : ). Though I've seen a lot of rock shows too.

THC? It's gotta be a bit more recent than I was imagining, no? *Middle* of skid row, as bad as it's gotten? wow. Both those bands are still around as far as I know, but THC can't have been around more than 15 years or so. Bit too rough for this jazz guy : ). Though I've seen a lot of rock shows too.
I looked it up, it's called the 1720 club.

It was in the middle of a freaking war zone. Their web site calls it 'the warehouse district'. LOL

Only thing similar is they are both black guys...could not be more different receivers. :bobdole:
Both speedsters with wiggle to their game. I have no idea where the **** you get off with that **** but you don’t exactly sound like you know what you’re taking about.

Yes...and this is why....

There have been 38 wide receivers who weighed 175 pounds or less at the scouting combine since 2000, according to pro-football-reference.com and only two of them became first-round picks: Tavon Austin and Marquise Brown.

But Austin was listed at 5-8, Brown at 5-9. They just have different physiques. In that time span, there have been nine wide receivers weigh 175 or less and stand at least 5-11.

Not one of them has been a first-round pick. Two were second-round picks: Paul Richardson and Todd Pinkston.

Of the 38, only one really became an impact player in the NFL, and that's DeSean Jackson. But even then Jackson was a bit different because he was more compact (5-10, 169) and he also ran a 4.35, compared to the reported 4.49 time for Smith.

Now show the receivers under 175 that had 115+ catches 1800+ yards and 20+ TDs in a season. Let’s compare apples to apples. That data means nothing
Maybe not to you...but it does to me!

I’m glad your not making the 6th pick in the draft that cost us 2 first rounders to acquire!

Now show the receivers under 175 that had 115+ catches 1800+ yards and 20+ TDs in a season. Let’s compare apples to apples. That data means nothing
Soooooo...

Data that is actual NFL data means nothing.........but data from an inferior league does?

That is not very rational, IMO.

Maybe not to you...but it does to me!

I’m glad your not making the 6th pick in the draft that cost us 2 first rounders to acquire!

This type of data makes clueless posters point and say “See! Told ya we shouldn’t pick him”.

This type of data also positions Smith next to the 170 pound receiver that had 13 catches his senior season. So saying this data means something to you says all I need to know 😂

Soooooo...

Data that is actual NFL data means nothing.........but data from an inferior league does?

That is not very rational, IMO.

That is not NFL data. That is draft data which is 100% based on college. See my post above

Also why I have Smith as my top rated WR. He has it all. 166 pounds is a question mark, regardless what anyone here tries to say. It has to make you hesitant. But for me, I still think he’s the total package of skill, smarts, technique and work ethic. I’m willing to roll the dice on his weight personally.

It doesn't make me hesitant at all.

The fact is in the NFL hardly anyone is ever hurt from being hit too hard. It has to do with awkward angles and bad luck more than anything.

The absolute worst concern anyone might have is whether or not he can beat the press off the line.

That is not NFL data. That is draft data which is 100% based on college. See my post above
It is data that directly showed how players drafted with similar size fared at the next level.

If you want to say many sucked to begin with, I'll go along with that.

If you want to say Smith is so "special" that he will definitely overcome his physical shortcomings, my response is maybe, but not likely.

It is far more likely he is a middling reciever, than elite.

If you are saying you are willing to take the risk, we just disagree.

If you are saying there is no risk, and nothing at all to be concerned about, I would say your judgement is suspect.

It doesn't make me hesitant at all.

The fact is in the NFL hardly anyone is ever hurt from being hit too hard. It has to do with awkward angles and bad luck more than anything.

The absolute worst concern anyone might have is whether or not he can beat the press off the line.
Almost all concussions are a direct result of being hit too hard on the head, hence all the rule changes in an attempt to enhance player safety.

Back
Top Bottom