Slimm's 2015 Offensive Lineman (C, G, T) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Offensive Lineman (C, G, T)

I also am really intrigued by Stephane Nembot. Can be a little heavy footed in his pass set, but when moving laterally or getting to the 2nd level, he is impressive given his size. He can really eat up the grass. Still a little raw, but his combo of feet/length is fantastic.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

A guy I'd really like for us as a developmental guy is Shaq Mason. Though only 6'1, his length looks to be that of a guy a few inches taller. Excellent feet and he is really good in the pull game. ZBS teams everywhere are really going to like him.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Slimm,

Have you seen a lot of TJ Clemmings? I really like him considering where he is in relativity to his time at the position. Great length, better feet than you'd think. Like him much better kicking inside, but he flashes some top shelf tools too

I also am really intrigued by Stephane Nembot. Can be a little heavy footed in his pass set, but when moving laterally or getting to the 2nd level, he is impressive given his size. He can really eat up the grass. Still a little raw, but his combo of feet/length is fantastic.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

A guy I'd really like for us as a developmental guy is Shaq Mason. Though only 6'1, his length looks to be that of a guy a few inches taller. Excellent feet and he is really good in the pull game. ZBS teams everywhere are really going to like him.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Slimm,

Have you seen a lot of TJ Clemmings? I really like him considering where he is in relativity to his time at the position. Great length, better feet than you'd think. Like him much better kicking inside, but he flashes some top shelf tools too

Yes Clemmings is a run blocker. His pass protection and vertical pass sets really don't stand out at all. He's 100%, without a doubt, a guard in my opinion. Best at blocking down and straight ahead mauling in all those power staples that Paul Chryst likes to run with James Conner. He's the prototypical road grading offensive lineman that Paul Chryst always had during his years at Wisconsin. Reminds me of a better Josh Oglesby who played RT for him at Wisconsin a few years ago. I don't see anything special about Clemmings or anything that really stands out. He's a mid-late rounder to a team that likes to run the ball in the NFL in my opinion.

Hey TedSlimm, thanks for all the great info. Quick question -- what are your thoughts on Laken Tomlinson?

My buddy, who is a fellow Dolphins fan, went to Duke many years ago, and he still follows their football team. He won't stop talking about this kid Tomlinson. Supposedly, Tomlinson is a dancing bear (big strong kid with unbelievable agility and footwork for his size) and he is also a really high character guy. My buddy really hopes Tomlinson winds up in a Phins uniform.

I haven't watched any Duke games, so I can't form my own opinion. So I figured I would ask for yours. Do you know much about this kid as a possible NFL prospect?

Hey TedSlimm, thanks for all the great info. Quick question -- what are your thoughts on Laken Tomlinson?

My buddy, who is a fellow Dolphins fan, went to Duke many years ago, and he still follows their football team. He won't stop talking about this kid Tomlinson. Supposedly, Tomlinson is a dancing bear (big strong kid with unbelievable agility and footwork for his size) and he is also a really high character guy. My buddy really hopes Tomlinson winds up in a Phins uniform.

I haven't watched any Duke games, so I can't form my own opinion. So I figured I would ask for yours. Do you know much about this kid as a possible NFL prospect?

+ He is a terrific athlete for his size with a Track&Field background....nimble, quick feet, quick/active hands. Can move at 6'2", 325 pounds
+ Understand blocking angles
+ High character kid... hard worker
+ Gets to the second level with ease and adjusts rapidly to zero in on moving targets
+ Fit for a team that likes to zone up front
+ Very experienced and battle tested.

- Short arms...On film they look short even for a kid that's 6'2"... this allows defenders to get their hands inside and toss him
- Struggles some in pass protection when he stops moving his feet and relies on winning the hand battle... this is due to short arms
- Not a road grader either... more of an angle blocker
- Struggles to really sustain blocks that stick
- Limited schematically to a zone where he can double team at the POA and release up field
- Has only played RG during his career

Basically, I have Tomlinson as my #10 Senior OG. Projects most likely as a backup in a zone scheme at the next level in my opinion. Great kid, hard worker, and has some athleticism. His makeup is what will help him make a roster in the NFL. Every team needs quality backup offensive lineman with athleticism. Short arms, lack of versatility, and lack of any clear physical advantage keeps him from being an elite prospect. I have him coming off the board in the mid-rounds in the 100-150 range overall.

+ He is a terrific athlete for his size with a Track&Field background....nimble, quick feet, quick/active hands. Can move at 6'2", 325 pounds
+ Understand blocking angles
+ High character kid... hard worker
+ Gets to the second level with ease and adjusts rapidly to zero in on moving targets
+ Fit for a team that likes to zone up front
+ Very experienced and battle tested.

- Short arms...On film they look short even for a kid that's 6'2"... this allows defenders to get their hands inside and toss him
- Struggles some in pass protection when he stops moving his feet and relies on winning the hand battle... this is due to short arms
- Not a road grader either... more of an angle blocker
- Struggles to really sustain blocks that stick
- Limited schematically to a zone where he can double team at the POA and release up field
- Has only played RG during his career

Basically, I have Tomlinson as my #10 Senior OG. Projects most likely as a backup in a zone scheme at the next level in my opinion. Great kid, hard worker, and has some athleticism. His makeup is what will help him make a roster in the NFL. Every team needs quality backup offensive lineman with athleticism. Short arms, lack of versatility, and lack of any clear physical advantage keeps him from being an elite prospect. I have him coming off the board in the mid-rounds in the 100-150 range overall.

Ah, the curse of the T-rex arms. That sucks. I will pass this info on to my friend. Thanks for the quick response and the great insight. It is greatly appreciated.

Just an FYI, but one of the top JR tackles, Ereck Flowers looks like he is done for the year with a knee injury that occurred against Virginia Tech. There's a decent chance this will keep him out of the draft, but that will obviously depend on the nature and severity of the injury.

Slimm, you don't like Jon Feliciano from UM?? I didn't think he'd be towards the top of you list of guards, but I'm surprised he didn't make the cut. He's been a stalwart for us at guard with very good size and strength, and enough versatility and athleticism that with injuries he has spent a decent amount of time at tackle.

Jake Fisher is very underrated. Not here on this list, but in general. That's a good starting RT. I think he's a better overall prospect than Ogbuehi.

But the catch to that is Jake is a better RT, Ogbuehi better at LT.

What has swayed your opinion so much on Matias now from this post?

Tier 1

Josue Matias - Florida St.

Xavier Su'a-Filo - UCLA

La'el Collins - LSU

Tier 2

A.J. Cann - South Carolina

Tre Jackson - Florida St.

Aaron Morris - Ole Miss

Marcus Martin - USC

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread.php?333861-Slimm-s-2014-Underclassman/page3

He's been playing like a late rounder. His flaws have been exposed every single game since then, began middle to later part of last year. Conversely, a guy like A.J. Cann for example, has gotten even better than he already was after making the move from center to guard. It's the consistency of his tape that impresses me along with his versatility.

He's been playing like a late rounder. His flaws have been exposed every single game since then, began middle to later part of last year. Conversely, a guy like A.J. Cann for example, has gotten even better than he already was after making the move from center to guard. It's the consistency of his tape that impresses me along with his versatility.

You're starting to make me think I should reconsider my grade on Matias...

That Ty Sambrailo is a unique guy.

He has all the punchiness, hand coordination and strength of a shorter armed guy, and all of the wingspan of a longer armed guy...because of that movie theater screen sized chest of his. Moves around really well too. He's going to be good in a scheme like Miami's. The chest-to-arms ratio could be a double-edged sword though. Guys converting speed to power getting their hands right into that broad breastplate of his, he could have some trouble there.

You could see him moving inside to left guard. You could also see him being the next Evan Mathis there.

Sambrailo can play. I've had him high in my tackle rankings and should be able to kick inside with no problem. He reminds me a lot of Logan Mankins.

Offensive lineman under Jim McElwain tend to translate well to the NFL. I think some of is due to how well versed and well coached they are. A lot of teams cross train their offensive lineman, but McElwain takes it a step further. They need to know what the backs and TE's are doing also. If you go back to last year and how high I was on center Weston Richburg, he was able to come in and lock down a job with the Giants along the interior and was the key to helping fix that offensive line.

Derek Frazier is in his 3rd season at Colorado St. as offensive line coach under McElwain.... Frazier actually coached Logan Mankins at Fresno St.

Back
Top Bottom