Slimm's 2015 Offensive Lineman (C, G, T) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Offensive Lineman (C, G, T)

You gotta really appreciate the way Sambrailo plays. Nasty and he's always looking for work.

This may sound a little crazy to some, but I prefer Jake Fisher and Ty Sambrailo to Cedric Ogbuehi.

No offensive lineman in college football fires off the football like Georgia Tech's Shaquille Mason. It's incredible how low his pad level stays and how quick he fires at the snap.

I really think Austin Reiter is a lot better than people think. He's got a great look to him, nasty and physical, uses his hands well. He moves really well too. Been a leader on the team.

Watch him against the best players he's faced...Terry Williams, Joey Mbu, etc. He's been fantastic. He's very good in zone because he moves well laterally and can go from A gap to A gap helping out the guards.

No offensive lineman in college football fires off the football like Georgia Tech's Shaquille Mason. It's incredible how low his pad level stays and how quick he fires at the snap.

He's maybe my favourite guard in this class, but I just don't know if a guy of 6'1" and 300lbs can handle the behemoths in the NFL. If I was in a position to take a risk with a guard pick, I wouldn't hesitate to snap him up in the 4th. Assuming we don't address guard in FA, the Fins can't really afford the risk. We'd be better taking a tackle who we start at guard and can move over if need arises.

But, dammit, I love Shaq Mason. He's like a boulder shot out of a jumbo cannon.

He's maybe my favourite guard in this class, but I just don't know if a guy of 6'1" and 300lbs can handle the behemoths in the NFL. If I was in a position to take a risk with a guard pick, I wouldn't hesitate to snap him up in the 4th. Assuming we don't address guard in FA, the Fins can't really afford the risk. We'd be better taking a tackle who we start at guard and can move over if need arises.

But, dammit, I love Shaq Mason. He's like a boulder shot out of a jumbo cannon.

Absolutely. I love this kid. I've watched over 500 snaps of Shaquille Mason the past 2 seasons. If you don't enjoy watching his film then you don't enjoy watching film. Every snap is a clinic in quickness, hand placement, leverage, and pad level. Whoever is in front of him is getting their a** moved in the run game. Every. Single. Snap. It's incredible to watch.

The question for me was how he would hold up in pass protection since he doesn't execute any vertical pass sets in Georgia Tech's offense. He showed this week that it's not a problem for him. However, at just a shade over 6'1" with 31" arms, center may be his best position in the NFL. The shorter your arms are, the further inside the NFL likes to kick you. He has a build similar to Rodney Hudson when he came out of FSU, and the Chiefs kicked him even further inside to Center.

I'm glad he had a good week at the Senior Bowl and was able to provide an answer to a few of the questions I had about him. I hope he goes on to have a great career in the NFL. Definitely one of my favorites and one of the more underrated prospects in the draft. I'm pulling for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ He is a terrific athlete for his size with a Track&Field background....nimble, quick feet, quick/active hands. Can move at 6'2", 325 pounds
+ Understand blocking angles
+ High character kid... hard worker
+ Gets to the second level with ease and adjusts rapidly to zero in on moving targets
+ Fit for a team that likes to zone up front
+ Very experienced and battle tested.

- Short arms...On film they look short even for a kid that's 6'2"... this allows defenders to get their hands inside and toss him
- Struggles some in pass protection when he stops moving his feet and relies on winning the hand battle... this is due to short arms
- Not a road grader either... more of an angle blocker
- Struggles to really sustain blocks that stick
- Limited schematically to a zone where he can double team at the POA and release up field
- Has only played RG during his career

Basically, I have Tomlinson as my #10 Senior OG. Projects most likely as a backup in a zone scheme at the next level in my opinion. Great kid, hard worker, and has some athleticism. His makeup is what will help him make a roster in the NFL. Every team needs quality backup offensive lineman with athleticism. Short arms, lack of versatility, and lack of any clear physical advantage keeps him from being an elite prospect. I have him coming off the board in the mid-rounds in the 100-150 range overall.

Hey TedSlimm, has your opinion on Laken Tomlinson changed at all in the past week? His arms measured in at 33-1/2", and he looked really good in one-on-one drills with Danny Shelton. I know you were concerned about his arms being too short, but the measurements that came in look pretty good as far as arm length goes.

Keep up the good work. I love reading your posts, especially now as we are entering the draft season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey TedSlimm, has your opinion on Laken Tomlinson changed at all in the past week? His arms measured in at 33-1/2", and he looked really good in one-on-one drills with Danny Shelton. I know you were concerned about his arms being too short, but the measurements that came in look pretty good as far as arm length goes.

Keep up the good work. I love reading your posts, especially now as we are entering the draft season.

I wouldn't necessarily say my opinion has changed, although measuring in with 33 1/2" arms was pretty good for him. It's about average.

I still have him as one of the top 10 guards in this class, but I obviously like the guys I have ahead of him better. I think Danny Shelton is getting a little overrated right now. I don't believe he's a top 10 or top 15 talent in this draft. We'll see how Tomlinson does in the NFL, I know you're obviously pulling for him.

I wouldn't necessarily say my opinion has changed, although measuring in with 33 1/2" arms was pretty good for him. It's about average.

I still have him as one of the top 10 guards in this class, but I obviously like the guys I have ahead of him better. I think Danny Shelton is getting a little overrated right now. I don't believe he's a top 10 or top 15 talent in this draft. We'll see how Tomlinson does in the NFL, I know you're obviously pulling for him.

My opinion has changed to more of a positive with Tomlinson after the Senior Bowl week. I definitely loved his feet and solid technique with his hands in the passing game... what a driver in the running game too.

Random question though Slimm... you have any thoughts on C/G Max Garcia from Florida? I've been liking what I have seen from his as well on soe film as well as the Senior Bowl. He was great run blocking, and was surprising me how well he played in drills and the game.

Hey Slim- in rebuilding MIA interior O-line would you target a guy like Cann or Mason and move Pouncey back to center? Seems like we can get a 10 year starting Guard in Rd 3-4.. As I review prospects seems like there is real talent at G, RB, WR... MIA can build a decent young offensive nucleus around Landry, Miller, Clay, Sims, Turner, James... Add a K White and a Cann and we are on right track.

Hey Slim- in rebuilding MIA interior O-line would you target a guy like Cann or Mason and move Pouncey back to center? Seems like we can get a 10 year starting Guard in Rd 3-4.. As I review prospects seems like there is real talent at G, RB, WR... MIA can build a decent young offensive nucleus around Landry, Miller, Clay, Sims, Turner, James... Add a K White and a Cann and we are on right track.

I would definitely want Pouncey back at center next year, in his normal role, hopefully a full healthy year with his leadership and communication in the middle again.

There are definitely depth at the G position as well in the draft as you said. AJ Cann I not sure how far he would fall in this draft, but I am not overly fond in him in the passing game. I dont see good lateral movement, and I tend to see him lunging often. He defintely has great size and great strength up front, and a very good run blocker, but I worry a lot about him handling any speed rushers, it seems easy to get around him at times.

A guard I am liking more would be G- Josue Matias from Florida State... he would be more early to mid 2nd round probably, but I like his footwork in the passing game, I like his awareness with his head on a swivel, and reading to pick up blocks in tthe passing game (better than Cann). He also is a solid run blocker up front. He could improve his strength a bit more, and technique as well, but he seems to be a knowledgeable guy, hard worker, and a guy to keep an eye on.

Slimm, as I understand it, there are concerns about Jarvis Harrison's work ethic, but he looks like a guy who has all the tools to be an All Pro OG. Where are you looking at him right now, and do you know the legitimacy of the concerns regarding his work ethic? Without knowing how serious those concerns are, he's a guy I'd target if I'm Miami. I also like Glowinski. Great call there.

Slimm, as I understand it, there are concerns about Jarvis Harrison's work ethic, but he looks like a guy who has all the tools to be an All Pro OG. Where are you looking at him right now, and do you know the legitimacy of the concerns regarding his work ethic? Without knowing how serious those concerns are, he's a guy I'd target if I'm Miami. I also like Glowinski. Great call there.

I start to look at him in the 4th round if you're desperate for a guard. More comfortable with him in the 5th round though.

I think there are some questions regarding how much he really loves football, but only he knows the answer to that. Basketball was his first love in high school.

There was a rumor circulating to begin the season that Sumlin benched him for the first 2 games of the season due to poor conditioning. However, I believe the truth to be that he just wasn't healthy yet from off season surgery.

He's a better version of a similar type player in Josie Maria's in my opinion. Also has experience at tackle and brings that versatility which helped his grade in my eyes.

Love Mason and Matias. I also like the idea drafting Tyler Sambrailo and kicking him inside to guard, just not sure if he's strong enough.

Back
Top Bottom