Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2016 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Jeremy Johnson has a long ways to go to ever be a 1st round pick. Just in general, much less in my own opinion. In other words, it won't be this year.

Furthermore, he was throwing into triple and quadruple coverage with regularity against Louisville. He attempted to complete a pass downfield to a receiver that was completely surrounded by four Louisville defenders. Baffling decision among several baffling decisions.

Paxton Lynch is killing it this year.

It was fun to be high on Jeremy Johnson because he showed good physical tools, but this is why you don't go out on a limb for a guy you've only seen take a couple of handfuls of snaps.

And is it me, or has Gunner Kiel let himself go a little bit? Looks pudgy.

Paxton Lynch is killing it this year.

It was fun to be high on Jeremy Johnson because he showed good physical tools, but this is why you don't go out on a limb for a guy you've only seen take a couple of handfuls of snaps.

And is it me, or has Gunner Kiel let himself go a little bit? Looks pudgy.

Touche

Halfway through this, you're going to see a double reverse flea flicker for a touchdown. Paxton Lynch throws this ball on a dime 64 yards through the air with pace.

The amount of confidence you need in a QB's arm to even call this play is mind boggling to me. As it stands, flea flickers take a while to develop and so quarterbacks need to have a good arm to be able to have a hope of hitting the receiver in stride. This flea flicker started off a double reverse, so it took even more time to develop, and he's even deeper in the backfield. Now you have to be confident your QB can heave the football 60+ yards (which is a highly uncommon distance), and you need confidence that he can do it with pace. If he can't heave it 64 yards like he did, then it's underthrown and the defense can catch up. If he can't put pace on the 64 yard throw to where it takes that half second longer, again it's underthrown and the defense has time to catch up. All of that is dictated by the timing of the play. So you need to know he can do both things, heave it that far AND put pace on it, in order to have confidence in that play call.

Remarkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZUW_M-2pH4

That's why he could end up the highest rated QB in the next draft. Among other things. I mean from a physical standpoint he's everything you want in that he's really tall, great arm, and he also shows basketball like agility. He's unique that way. Usually the tall guys like him are plodders, slow feet.

The problem with all the hype surrounding Jeremy Johnson to begin with was that even his physical tools were overrated. I've watched him too much... I know better. That was just a bunch of premature hype by a lot of talking heads out there.

Mentally he processes the game extremely slow. Go back to page 2 in this thread where I talked about his limitations. Malzahn isn't asking much more from his QB than to check in and out of bad plays based on how many defenders he sees in the box. Run or throw it based on how many. The passing concepts themselves are elementary after that. They're pre-determined throws. That's where Jeremy Johnson is having trouble...when he has to come off that Alert route.

The problem with all the hype surrounding Jeremy Johnson to begin with was that even his physical tools were overrated. I've watched him too much... I know better. That was just a bunch of premature hype by a lot of talking heads out there.

Mentally he processes the game extremely slow. Go back to page 2 in this thread where I talked about his limitations. Malzahn isn't asking much more from his QB than to check in and out of bad plays based on how many defenders he sees in the box. Run or throw it based on how many. The passing concepts themselves are elementary after that. They're pre-determined throws. That's where Jeremy Johnson is having trouble...when he has to come off that Alert route.

How highly do you think of Paxton Lynch? I see you have him as your #2 underclassmen, but in your opinion is he a franchise QB?

How highly do you think of Paxton Lynch? I see you have him as your #2 underclassmen, but in your opinion is he a franchise QB?

Obviously I think very highly of him. He's as close to a franchise caliber quarterback as you're going to get in this class.

Been a fan of Paxton Lynch for awhile. Kids gunna be special in the NFL. I'd take him to be the phins QB over Tannehill any day of the week, and I'm a Tannehill fan/supporter.

Been a fan of Paxton Lynch for awhile. Kids gunna be special in the NFL. I'd take him to be the phins QB over Tannehill any day of the week, and I'm a Tannehill fan/supporter.

You wouldn't find any disagreement here. I'm neither against Ryan Tannehill or a supporter. It don't matter to me either way....just an observer.

Most arm talent in the draft, 6'7 245, and a better athlete than Goff and Cook. Someone will take him top 10

I'm going to see Paxton Lynch tonight live in stadium. Curious to see how he does against a pretty tough South Florida defense.

Some scouts are comparing Jared Goff to Aaron Rodgers, TedSlimmJr what say you is that description warranted an accurate? Haven't really watched Goff, been stuck on P. Lynch and W. Grier.

Some scouts are comparing Jared Goff to Aaron Rodgers, TedSlimmJr what say you is that description warranted an accurate? Haven't really watched Goff, been stuck on P. Lynch and W. Grier.

I understand that it may be a natural reaction to want to compare the two....since they both played QB for Cal. I suppose my question would be, what exactly are they comparing to Aaron Rodgers? Secondly, are they comparing him to Rodgers when he was coming out of Cal?

Because if that's the case, Goff is a better prospect than Aaron Rodgers was coming out of Cal. Goff has been doing this at this level since he was a true freshman straight out of high school. Aaron Rodgers wasn't. He had to go the JUCO route for a year before being offered a scholarship by Cal. Goff is much more mechanically sound than Rodgers was coming out of Cal. Rodgers needed his mechanics and attitude completely overhauled when he got to the NFL. He needed those 3 years on the bench sitting behind Brett Favre.

With all that said, is it likely that Goff becomes as good of an NFL quarterback as Rodgers? Not likely. It's just one of those things. It's unlikely that many will ever become as good as Aaron Rodgers. But that doesn't mean Goff isn't a better prospect at the same point in their collegiate careers.

The point really is this..... it doesn't matter if they compare him to Aaron Rodgers. It's irrelevant. Because they didn't know Aaron Rodgers was going to be as good as he is.

Slimm,
I would like to have your input on a qb question i have. I know its ot but maybe it can be stretched to be draft related

The neverending Tannehill long ball debate brought me back to a conversation I had awhile back with a qb college coach at some function

After giving a quick run down on all the specifics he coaches as a qb position coach he said something to the effect "One thing I cannot teach
and I don`t know anybody that can is accuracy. You either have or not. I suppose with long practice one could become more proficient but it can`t be taught"

Slimm, any truth to what he said?? I suppose accuracy could be affected by an ineffective suuporting cast ( O line play, route running deficiency)

Back
Top Bottom