Slimm's 2020 Offensive Line (underclassman) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Offensive Line (underclassman)

Just read where Leatherwood staying for his senior year.

He's one I was enamored with in a Dolphins uniform.

McCoy* > Humphrey > Biadasz.

* - just knew we were going to pick him last year. It's one reason why I have concerns about Grier.

Yeah I saw this on this site:

Wonder if this is an indication of what Tua will do, I doubt it has much relevance. It's probably a wise decision by the kid though, could use a little more time, he probably graded out at late 1/early 2, he'll hope to rise a bit.

I have been watching a lot of Matt Hennessy and I like him a whole lot. He is very, very good.

He probably has the best first couple of steps off the snap of anyone in the class, even if Creed Humphrey had come out. What is particularly impressive is the quickness with which he can get depth off the snap when he's setting back vertically in pass protection. That's not common. His lateral movement is equally good. Great knee bend, great hand use, great leverage, and he's a very aware player.

His frame reminds me quite a bit of Austin Reiter's, who I liked coming out of South Florida, and who has become the starting center for Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs. Comparing their frames isn't necessarily a compliment so much as a visualization. Reiter is on the thinner side. So is Hennessy.

You look at the frame and you want to say OK but some but ugly slobber knocker is going to mow him over at some point and you're going to have to acknowledge a big drawback with him. But I've been scrolling and scrolling and scrolling through the tape and I can't find it. This is exactly what it was like watching game after game after game of Joe Thuney at NC State, who was so uncanny.

Last year I loved both Erik McCoy and Garrett Bradbury. I think Matt Hennessy actually stacks up with those two.

Anyone of you Oline experts, looked at Saahdiq Charles, I'm looking for a late round tackle prospect for my mocks. Kid's only 20 and this write up by LSU makes him sound like a prospect, wanted to know what folks thought:

Curious how you guys would rate Tommy Kraemer vs Martin and Nelson?? I feel like his predessors were better players

I had forgotten about him. 5 star recruit. Type of player I would keep an eye on if he starts to slip. His frame never looked good to me in college. Too much soft belly and not enough shoulders, almost like he was in the Canes conditioning program and not Notre Dame.

This guys breakdown of Netane Muti is really interesting. Basically says he needs a lot of work, doesn't like his pulling and doesn't think he has good leg drive. This is even before you factor in his health concerns. (Voch Lombardi breakdown of Netane Muti)

A lot of what he’s saying there is accurate, but he’s just going a little overboard with nitpicking to prove a point in regards to PFF having him as Guard #1. I can assure that this level of nipicking can be done for every offensive lineman in this class.

You’d think this guy would’ve already been aware that he was at left tackle before moving inside to guard. You have to be familiar with these kids if you’re going to have the proper perspective when evaluating them. You’re not going to get much from evaluating Muti’s snaps at LT because he’s not a tackle.

A lot of the pulling issues are because he’s already suffered fairly catastrophic injuries to his lower body. Secondly, he’s a zone blocker - not a fit for a man scheme where you’re pulling blockers into the hole at the POA. You have to evaluate him purely as a RG in a zone scheme.

The inconsistent hand placement is largely due to simply not playing enough football. He’s missed more games and practices due to injury than he’s been able to take part in.

Not finishing is an issue I see with 95% of offensive lineman I evaluate every year. Only the special ones that come along every so often like Q. Nelson didn’t have that issue.

I think his most legitimate criticism is the anchor. Even when Muti drops his hips, he doesn’t roll them under to gain control - that’s why he’s off balance and doesn’t stick to some of these blocks.

Bottom line is a lot of this is coachable if he can stay healthy enough to get some reps and experience. The upper body strength is there - 44 reps at the combine. This is where the initial pop and aggression he pointed out comes from. It’s the lower body that needs to stay healthy and see some work.

He’s a day 3 pick as a RG in a zone scheme that still has upside if he can overcome injuries and get some work in. I’ve seen him dominate earlier in his career against elite competition like Alabama before all the injuries derailed his career.

A lot of what he’s saying there is accurate, but he’s just going a little overboard with nitpicking to prove a point in regards to PFF having him as Guard #1. I can assure that this level of nipicking can be done for every offensive lineman in this class.

You’d think this guy would’ve already been aware that he was at left tackle before moving inside to guard. You have to be familiar with these kids if you’re going to have the proper perspective when evaluating them. You’re not going to get much from evaluating Muti’s snaps at LT because he’s not a tackle.

A lot of the pulling issues are because he’s already suffered fairly catastrophic injuries to his lower body. Secondly, he’s a zone blocker - not a fit for a man scheme where you’re pulling blockers into the hole at the POA. You have to evaluate him purely as a RG in a zone scheme.

The inconsistent hand placement is largely due to simply not playing enough football. He’s missed more games and practices due to injury than he’s been able to take part in.

Not finishing is an issue I see with 95% of offensive lineman I evaluate every year. Only the special ones that come along every so often like Q. Nelson didn’t have that issue.

I think his most legitimate criticism is the anchor. Even when Muti drops his hips, he doesn’t roll them under to gain control - that’s why he’s off balance and doesn’t stick to some of these blocks.

Bottom line is a lot of this is coachable if he can stay healthy enough to get some reps and experience. The upper body strength is there - 44 reps at the combine. This is where the initial pop and aggression he pointed out comes from. It’s the lower body that needs to stay healthy and see some work.

He’s a day 3 pick as a RG in a zone scheme that still has upside if he can overcome injuries and get some work in. I’ve seen him dominate earlier in his career against elite competition like Alabama before all the injuries derailed his career.
Wow, thanks for the insight.

The “under-the-radar” prospect that seems to check the boxes in terms of measurements this staff likes is Isaiah Wilson. Not a first round tackle, but a massive human who is only a RS Soph. Biggest knock (in terms of what the Fins seems to look for in tackles) is not as many starts as they seem to want.

The “under-the-radar” prospect that seems to check the boxes in terms of measurements this staff likes is Isaiah Wilson. Not a first round tackle, but a massive human who is only a RS Soph. Biggest knock (in terms of what the Fins seems to look for in tackles) is not as many starts as they seem to want.

Like Wilson a lot - hoping he's a target in the 2nd.

Dumb question here: When it comes to Chan's blocking scheme what type of OL are we looking for regarding system fit, power or zone?

Jedrick Wills appears to be head and shoulders better than the next tackle down which is Andrew Thomas who needs to have his technique cleaned up because he seems to have been taught a wrong Technique. Wirfs isn't even tackle ready for the NFL and would need to play guard to start and could be an all-pro there. Need to look at more prospects have only look at the top 4or 5 guy's.

Jedrick Wills looks like 10-12 all pro NFL ready RT from day 1 - very impressed - elite prospect top 8 or 10 in the draft, could go higher.

Jedrick Wills appears to be head and shoulders better than the next tackle down which is Andrew Thomas who needs to have his technique cleaned up because he seems to have been taught a wrong Technique. Wirfs isn't even tackle ready for the NFL and would need to play guard to start and could be an all-pro there. Need to look at more prospects have only look at the top 4or 5 guy's.

Jedrick Wills looks like 10-12 all pro NFL ready RT from day 1 - very impressed - elite prospect top 8 or 10 in the draft, could go higher.
Why so down on Wirfs? Everything I've heard is that he's an incredible prospect with incredible upside and may be the first O-lineman drafted.

Didn't think I was, think he is top 15-20 pick that may need to start at guard, others don't share my opinion, have a look yourself.

Didn't think I was, think he is top 15-20 pick that may need to start at guard, others don't share my opinion, have a look yourself.

That video didn’t even touch on most of the poor tape from Wirfs, but illustrated perfectly the issues that will need to be coached up and why I’ve always said he gets thrown to the ground by much smaller players and gets beat inside. If he keeps bringing those feet together just prior to contact, he’ll spend his entire NFL career laying on his back just like Dallas Thomas did.

If anyone paid attention to the OL bag drills at the combine, Wills was like Mike Tyson punching those bags while all the other offensive lineman were like a straw weight punching the bags. World of difference.

That video didn’t even touch on most of the poor tape from Wirfs, but illustrated perfectly the issues that will need to be coached up and why I’ve always said he gets thrown to the ground by much smaller players and gets beat inside. If he keeps bringing those feet together just prior to contact, he’ll spend his entire NFL career laying on his back just like Dallas Thomas did.

If anyone paid attention to the OL bag drills at the combine, Wills was like Mike Tyson punching those bags while all the other offensive lineman were like a straw weight punching the bags. World of difference.

Wills combination of balance and explosive power is about as good as I've seen from a college OL since 2010.

Back
Top Bottom