Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

We play 8 games in MIA with either full sun or torrential rain, 4 games potentially in the snow every year, and then random after that. I do like Fromm, but if this small hand argument has traction then maybe I could consider another prospect. Who are some successful QB's with small hands?

Fromm is still my pick if we actually draft a QB, as I do not want to trade any of our picks up.

Last edited:
Only problem with this hand size topic, or measurements in general, is that Charles Robinson receives so much attention.

Regardless, here's an article with a chart listing the hand sizes of top pick quarterbacks since 2001. I didn't realize Michael Vick was only 8.5. In 2016 there wasn't much mention of Jared Goff at exactly 9:

Joe Burrow had an awesome tweet. He is wonderfully self-confident:

"Considering retirement after I was informed the football will be slipping out of my tiny hands," Burrow said in the tweet. "Please keep me in your thoughts."

I mentioned earlier today that I read somewhere that some teams are now using 9.25 as the minimum. This segment of the article points in that direction. While 9 is a convenient reference point the number of recent successful quarterbacks at 9 or below is remarkably low:

"Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson pointed out an interesting fact about hand sizes. He named quality starting quarterbacks with the same hand size or smaller that found success in the NFL.

“About the hand measurement of #LSU’s Joe Burrow: 3 guys with 9-inch hands (or smaller) became quality starters - Michael Vick (8.5), Tony Romo (8.86) & Ryan Tannehill (9). Jury is out on Drew Lock (9),” Robinson tweeted. “It may not matter with Burrow, but teams have it categorized for a reason.”

Jared Goff has been historically bad in tough weather games...

That’s where I believe hand size factors in most. Wet and cold weather games. Aside from that, I tend to side with CK — although many believe it also helps with accuracy.

Regarding Burrow, how many weather games did he play in last season? W/O looking it up, I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess not that many.

If he ends up playing in a place like Cincy — where they also play road games in PITT, CLE, and BALT every season — his small hands could pose much more of an issue.

He may not be concerned because he hasn‘t had to play games in mid-to-late December or January in cold and wet environments therefore doesn't know any better. But there is good reason why NFL teams consider it a potential factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: A1.
That’s where I believe hand size factors in most. Wet and cold weather games. Aside from that, I tend to side with CK — although many believe it also helps with accuracy.

Regarding Burrow, how many weather games did he play in last season? W/O looking it up, I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess not that many.

If he ends up playing in a place like Cincy — where they also play road games in PITT, CLE, and BALT every season — his small hands could pose much more of an issue.

He may not be concerned because he hasn‘t had to play games in mid-to-late December or January in cold and wet environments therefore doesn't know any better. But there is good reason why NFL teams consider it a potential factor.

he did grow up playing football in southern Ohio where it gets plenty wet, snowy and cold. Where he grew up he is equal distances from all of those places in that division so he’s used to the climate

You can certainly play quarterback in the NFL with 9 inch hands. However, they're just going to red flag anything smaller than that. They just are.

There just hasn't been a lot of guys go on to play QB at a high level in the NFL with hands smaller than 9 inches. You would certainly overlook hand size to a much larger degree on an athlete like Mike Vick as compared to an athlete like Jake Fromm. Furthermore, Vick only played 2 years of college football and left after his RS Sophomore season - there wasn't really time for college football to cull his hands.

I think to some degree culling did happen to Jake Fromm at the college level. All he did was get worse at throwing the football the more his career went on. Culminating in the coaching staff not even letting him pass the football in the rain against Kentucky.

I'm not really arguing for or against Fromm, as I think he's such a good quarterback prospect in other areas. I just think it may be important to acknowledge some facts in order to get an accurate assessment.

he did grow up playing football in southern Ohio where it gets plenty wet, snowy and cold. Where he grew up he is equal distances from all of those places in that division so he’s used to the climate

I knew he was from Ohio. However, he wasn‘t ever playing in January back then, and probably not even into mid-December. Also, much different levels of competition where it likely never factored in.

In the NFL most every little thing can matter.

If he ends up playing down South, none of this will likely matter much, but if he got drafted by Buffalo or Green Bay or Cincy or NY, it just might matter a tad more.

You can certainly play quarterback in the NFL with 9 inch hands. However, they're just going to red flag anything smaller than that. They just are.

There just hasn't been a lot of guys go on to play QB at a high level in the NFL with hands smaller than 9 inches. You would certainly overlook hand size to a much larger degree on an athlete like Mike Vick as compared to an athlete like Jake Fromm. Furthermore, Vick only played 2 years of college football and left after his RS Sophomore season - there wasn't really time for college football to cull his hands.

I think to some degree culling did happen to Jake Fromm at the college level. All he did was get worse at throwing the football the more his career went on. Culminating in the coaching staff not even letting him pass the football in the rain against Kentucky.

I'm not really arguing for or against Fromm, as I think he's such a good quarterback prospect in other areas. I just think it may be important to acknowledge some facts in order to get an accurate assessment.
It just becomes difficult to grip/spin the football with 9 inch hand. Im 6-2 200- measured just for fun - my hand is 9 inches. It’s not an NFL QB hand.
It’s just not.

It just becomes difficult to grip/spin the football with 9 inch hand. Im 6-2 200- measured just for fun - my hand is 9 inches. It’s not an NFL QB hand.
It’s just not.

A lot of factors are in play though. Your pinky finger provides 1/3rd of the grip strength in your hand. It’s all about how you grip the football (u grip or c grip). The key is supination of the throwing hand so the thumb ends up pointing down after you release.

A lot of QB’s have played with 9 inch hands, but they’ve developed a method and the proper grip strength through reps.

Anything under 9” hands and you’re just at a disadvantage. Particularly when you begin to introduce any variables in the form of outside elements like wind, rain, cold, etc.

Soooo Cincy drafts Tua and franchises Dalton?

No way! No how with Burrow available!
I see 0% chance of that happening.

What i am curious about is do the Dolphins jump up to #2, #3 draft Burrow.

I would assume teams are more comfortable drafting Burrow than they are drafting Tua.

Any thoughts on how Herbert and Love would stack up against Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Desmond Ridder? I figure each of those under classmen could trun pro in 2021 and was wondering Miami did miss out on Tua and Burrow would it be best to just wait and get a shot at one those three next year? If Love has a decent rookie season I could see a lot of people comparing Ridder to him in 2021.

Slimm, and others, I’d like your opinion on the topic of Tuas numbers dropping below the other prospects if he has to move past his first read.

“His grade on first read throws was 91.6. His grade falls to 75.5 when his first option is covered he's forced to go through his progressions.

455 of his dropbacks as a starter were to his first read option, and only 99 were passes to a 2nd, 3rd or 4th option. When Tua has to go through his progressions, his grade under pressure 46.6 is not real good.

Jacob Eason by comparison under pressure had a grade of 37.6. What would Tua’s numbers look like if he were on a normal college team? I can't imagine they would go up in efficiency.”

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom