Smith versus Waddle | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

He earned the name Golden Gazelle. He's so smooth they don't realize he's running 20+ miles per hour.

It reminds me about Eric Dickerson and how John Robinson used to jump his ass for not running full speed in practice. He said coach, I am running full speed sir. It looked like he was out there loafing in practice because he was so smooth. It didn't take but a game or two of seeing Dickerson outrun everybody in the NFL before Robinson apologized to Dickerson and told him he'd never seen anything like it - how a guy could be running that fast and look so effortless doing it.

That's Smitty. It's how he gets so open even when multiple guys have him bracketed.

Said I wanted Smith from day one of this year, and even more interested in taking him now.

I still am very high on taking Parsons with the Texan 1st, but that was also when I thought Smith could be taken with 1b. Smith is moving up fast, seems unfortunately teams have wised up he he is top 15 or top 10 pick, so Miami might have to take him early, and take a premier LB later if Parsons is not there when Miami picks.

Last thing Miami is going to do is give up assets to move up for any player. They either sit tight or trade down...The time of trading up for Deon Jordan is over.
I agree that they won't trade up from Houston's pick but they might move up from their own 1st rounder, especially if they don't take a WR with their first pick.

He earned the name Golden Gazelle. He's so smooth they don't realize he's running 20+ miles per hour.

It reminds me about Eric Dickerson and how John Robinson used to jump his *** for not running full speed in practice. He said coach, I am running full speed sir. It looked like he was out there loafing in practice because he was so smooth. It didn't take but a game or two of seeing Dickerson outrun everybody in the NFL before Robinson apologized to Dickerson and told him he'd never seen anything like it - how a guy could be running that fast and look so effortless doing it.

That's Smitty. It's how he gets so open even when multiple guys have him bracketed.

Reminds me of Tony Martin.

And that's why DeVonta will go top 5.
I can't see that happening.

The last time a WR went in the Top 5 that the team did not absolutely regret was AJ Green in 2011.Julio Jones went 6 that year.

Calvin Johnson in 2007.
Larry Fitzgerald in 2004

Recent Top 5 WR include: Corey Davis, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Justin Blackmon

So you are getting a few great ones, a few buyers remorse guys and a bunch of disasters.

What I think will hurt Smith's draft standing is his size. I can't think of many successful 175 pound NFL WRs (much less any ever projected as a top 10 pick). Personally, I would take him in the top 10. I think he's just that good, but at the top of the draft you generally see a focus on measurables. I actually believe that the focus on measurables over 'is the guy a player?' is why there are so many busts up high, but it is what it is.

Miami doesn't have a ton of "dead weight" on the team. But where is does have fat that needs to be trimmed is almost entirely in the WR/RB rooms. With two picks in R1/2/4/6 the FO could basically run two parallel drafts, one for need and one for upside/BPA. They could concentrate on "skill positions" (as if there were unskilled positions!) at the top. They could look to fill those dead weight slots.

Fact is, whichever way they go the Davonta Smith pick just makes complete sense.

If Sewell, Parsons or some other premium talent player was available at the Texans pick, they could consider using a second to move up from their own pick to get Smith too. But the outstanding success of last year's draft, which proved the truism that having more picks is more valuable than a few high picks, means the FO will surely not burn second rounders or future picks.

So, they'll have a tough choice with the Texans pick but I just feel Smith is the perfect intersection of talent, need, upside and fit with the gameplan (not least his relationship with Tua).

Miami doesn't have a ton of "dead weight" on the team. But where is does have fat that needs to be trimmed is almost entirely in the WR/RB rooms. With two picks in R1/2/4/6 the FO could basically run two parallel drafts, one for need and one for upside/BPA. They could concentrate on "skill positions" (as if there were unskilled positions!) at the top. They could look to fill those dead weight slots.

Fact is, whichever way they go the Davonta Smith pick just makes complete sense.

If Sewell, Parsons or some other premium talent player was available at the Texans pick, they could consider using a second to move up from their own pick to get Smith too. But the outstanding success of last year's draft, which proved the truism that having more picks is more valuable than a few high picks, means the FO will surely not burn second rounders or future picks.

So, they'll have a tough choice with the Texans pick but I just feel Smith is the perfect intersection of talent, need, upside and fit with the gameplan (not least his relationship with Tua).
I know you arent exactly advocating but Id lose my mind if we traded up for a middle LB that opted out of a year of football when we could have Smith/Waddle. Do we really want a guy playing middle LB that opted out of a season? Good middle LBs are a different breed. Could you see Ray Lewis opting out of a season?

No, what I'm saying is on balance the pick should be Smith!
I think most Miami fans would be happy with that. Hard to find a better fit, or a more perfect fit than Smith. And there's no question it would fill a huge need.

Besides Parker, the team doesn't really have a legitimate starter at wide receiver. I am interested to see if Bowden can develop and Grant has always provided a few big plays here and there and if only Williams had better hands....

From the Dolphins front office point of view, it could go another way though. There are probably seven wide receivers that could go in the first round, which means pick 1b could be used on a wideout. More and more I'm also thinking that Miami could trade down. There are a number of teams picking after that Houston pick who are going to overpay for quarterbacks.

Last edited:
I think most Miami fans would be happy with that. Hard to find a better fit, or a more perfect fit than Smith. And there's no question it would fill a huge need. Besides Parker, the team doesn't really have a legitimate starter at wide receiver. I am interested to see if Bowden can develop and Grant has always provided a few big plays here and there and if only Williams had better hands....

From the Dolphins front office point of view, it could go another way though. There are probably seven wide receivers that could go in the first round, which means pick 1b could be used on a wideout. More and more I'm also thinking that Miami could trade down. There are a number of teams picking after that Houston pick who are going to overpay for quarterbacks.
That's a real possibility. And I'd be I'd be in favour of it if it didn't mean losing a shot at Smith, who for me is just too perfect a fit for Miami to risk losing.

I wonder if Chase is going to slip .. He's also extremely talented
He could slip if he tests poorly.

But he won't.

He may not run a Raiders type 40 time but his quickness and agility will surely show up in testing.

I love Smith and Waddle, and like a lot of the other WR's as well, but Chase is the best WR in this class and should go first.

I don't have to have him but if i have the choice he is the guy I am taking.

It's generally true. I had a thread in VIP a couple years ago, titled "All the Young Dudes." But, some of the best players are exceptions. Marvin Harrison was an older rookie, as was Michael Thomas and Terry McLaurin. Calvin Ridley is a tier below, but he's very good, and he was older, too. Data is helpful, but when you start using it, you'll start to notice the guys whose context makes them likely exceptions to general rules.

I'm not worried about the ceilings of any of the Top 5 or so WR's (Smith, Chase, Waddle, Marshall, Bateman).

* Marvin Harrison turned 24 in August of his rookie season.

Thanks to Randy Moss, I was reminded that Jerry Rice was also a 23 y/o rookie.

He could slip if he tests poorly.

But he won't.

He may not run a Raiders type 40 time but his quickness and agility will surely show up in testing.

I love Smith and Waddle, and like a lot of the other WR's as well, but Chase is the best WR in this class and should go first.

I don't have to have him but if i have the choice he is the guy I am taking.

What puts Chase over Smith for you?

Back
Top Bottom