Smith versus Waddle | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

I think the ideal type of receiver for Tua and Miami is Terry McLaurin. Whoever comes closest to that model type of receiver is the guy Miami should be looking for. Smith feels similar to McLaurin.

What puts Chase over Smith for you?
Bigger, stronger kid with the same skill level, if not higher.Chase would have been the first WR off the board LAST year had he been eligible, putting aside Jon Gruden's cluelessness of course.

I might put Waddle ahead of Smith too as he is going to be a big play guy at the next level.

Nothing against Smith, i think he is terrific.And he would fit what Miami needs as well.

My only quibble with him is his slender frame which might make him a durability concern.

I expect him to be the second WR off the board after Chase in the 10-15 range.

Bigger, stronger kid with the same skill level, if not higher.Chase would have been the first WR off the board LAST year had he been eligible, putting aside Jon Gruden's cluelessness of course.

I might put Waddle ahead of Smith too as he is going to be a big play guy at the next level.

Nothing against Smith, i think he is terrific.And he would fit what Miami needs as well.

My only quibble with him is his slender frame which might make him a durability concern.

Mike Mayock's?

As an aside, did you know Mike Mayock picked off Marino in college, when he was a DB at BC?

Disagree on Chase being at Smith's skill level - unless you don't count creating separation/route running as a skill. Chase is great, and I'd have them 1 and 1a. But, if Chase, at his size, was showing Smith's skill, we'd be talking about him like he's Jerry Rice.

Both have great shots to be big hits - just disagree on some of the particulars.

Disagree on Chase being at Smith's skill level - unless you don't count creating separation/route running as a skill. Chase is great, and I'd have them 1 and 1a. But, if Chase, at his size, was showing Smith's skill, we'd be talking about him like he's Jerry Rice.

Both have great shots to be big hits - just disagree on some of the particulars.
I agree with you about Chase. I don't think he is a better receiver than either Smith or Waddle, just doesn't impress. Sorry but he just doesn't

I agree with you about Chase. I don't think he is a better receiver than either Smith or Waddle, just doesn't impress. Sorry but he just doesn't
Doesn’t impress? How so? Waddle concerns me with his height, limited sample size and now injury.

Is Steve Smith a good comp for Waddle? Waddle will test faster at the combine than Smith did, but their size seems similar coming out of college.

Doesn’t impress? How so? Waddle concerns me with his height, limited sample size and now injury.
Waddle has a limited sample sized? He's logged 33 games in 3 years compared to Chase 24 games in 2 years.

Devonta smith, I’m purely speaking from my own personal opinion here. He seems to be a humble, hard working, team guy. Seems like a fit for the culture we are building here.

If Waddle runs a full tenth of second faster than Smith, Waddle, and it's the same between Smith and Chase. If Smith runs a full tenth of second faster than Chase, then Smith over Chase.

I expect it to look something like this

Waddle- 4.28- Top 10
Smith- 4.40 Top 16
Chase- 4.50 Top 20
Bateman- 4.52 1st rd
Moore- 4.35 1st rd
Olave- 4.40 Top of 2nd rd
Marshall- 4.55 Top of 2nd round

If Waddle runs 4.35 then Smith, if Smith runs 4.45 then Chase. No way Bateman or Moore can catch up to the top 3. Bateman could fall if he runs 4.55 and up. 4.60 would make him bottom of the second for me. If Marshall runs a better 40 than Bateman he could easily take over his spot in the 1st.

Waddle has a limited sample sized? He's logged 33 games in 3 years compared to Chase 24 games in 2 years.
Chase had more TD'S and yardage than Waddle did in 2018 and 2019 combined. Let me frame this right. Up until this year Waddle was basically the 4th WR on his team. Obviously Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith are talented but if your talking about a top 10 pick with the other issues I stated that is too rich for me.

Does his height bother you? I am sure the ankle will be fine but after watching Parker get continually dinged, Williams out two straight years, etc... I take that into consideration. I would love Smith but again with his thin frame something to think about.

If we are on the clock and our top targets are in front of me? In order Parsons, Chase, Smith. We get Parsons and we could trade up for Waddle or sit tight and grab Moore.

If Waddle runs a full tenth of second faster than Smith, Waddle, and it's the same between Smith and Chase. If Smith runs a full tenth of second faster than Chase, then Smith over Chase.

I expect it to look something like this

Waddle- 4.28- Top 10
Smith- 4.40 Top 16
Chase- 4.50 Top 20
Bateman- 4.52 1st rd
Moore- 4.35 1st rd
Olave- 4.40 Top of 2nd rd
Marshall- 4.55 Top of 2nd round

If Waddle runs 4.35 then Smith, if Smith runs 4.45 then Chase. No way Bateman or Moore can catch up to the top 3. Bateman could fall if he runs 4.55 and up. 4.60 would make him bottom of the second for me. If Marshall runs a better 40 than Bateman he could easily take over his spot in the 1st.
Agree on most but Chase. I would be beyond shocked if he goes around 20. But you are correct in that testing numbers at the combine will slot these guys. Does anyone know what is up with Moore? Not a peep since he opted out and back in again.

Remember CeeDee last year, where did he go? And then a full year away from football?

He better spent this year REALLY working on his testing #'s.

If he runs well, 40, shuttle and cone to the point teams don't see much of a difference from him and Smith, he'll go before Smith in that Top 16 category due to his bulkier size.

Since the OP only gave the choice between two Alabama receivers, I ask Tua who he prefers. He has played with both and is the one who has to throw the ball to them for the next 5-6 years.

Back
Top Bottom