Smith versus Waddle | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

Chase should be good enough, Amari Cooper is the comparison I've always made for him.

Jerry Rice is the comparison I made for Smitty. I just won't be surprised if 12 years down the road he's one of the best players of his era.

Smith is 1.5 years older than Chase, and hasn't opted out this year. He's more likely to be more ready for the NFL in my opinion, Chase might need time.

I don't see the physical similarities to Rice but if you are saying he is going to be THAT good then I think we should take him. ;)

I don't care who takes him, I already have him. I just know somebody is taking him and they're going to be happy they did.

It is amazing that Alabama has become WR U in recent years.

I don't follow college recruiting much but Saban just landed a boatload of WR talent.

4 of the top 10 WR's in his #1 class.

Chase should be good enough, Amari Cooper is the comparison I've always made for him.

Jerry Rice is the comparison I made for Smitty. I just won't be surprised if 12 years down the road he's one of the best players of his era.

How does Smith and Waddle compare to Ruggs and Jeudy?

From my amateur point of view, Jaylen Waddle is a very good receiver and absolutely electric playmaker whose speed and quicks make him a threat anywhere, any time to take the ball to the house, and his injury was a fluke.

But.

The more I've watched Smith, the more I realize that there simply aren't any flaws in his game. Fantastic hands. Gets separation quickly. Very polished and fluid routes. Always shows up in big moments. The biggest critiques seem to be "he's not amazingly fast" and "he's not 6'4 - 220 pounds." If those are the two biggest drawbacks, sign me up with Miami's top pick. He's certainly fast and big enough.

I do wonder if part of the reason Devonta Smith is not considered to be all that fast is just because he's had to play on the same field as guys like Henry Ruggs and Jaylen Waddle.

Ruggs ran anywhere from a 4.21 to a 4.27, and Waddle, well...

For those who can't watch the video because of ad blockers or other restrictions, it's Jaylen Waddle and Henry Ruggs racing the 40 with each other at Alabama. And I'll be damned if there's more than a hair between them.

1608820515763.png

I do wonder if part of the reason Devonta Smith is not considered to be all that fast is just because he's had to play on the same field as guys like Henry Ruggs and Jaylen Waddle.

Ruggs ran anywhere from a 4.21 to a 4.27, and Waddle, well...

Legit question.

DeVonta Smith is probably going to run a high 4.4/low 4.5 time. Comparatively slow to those two, but plenty fast for the NFL as a top receiver.

Legit question.

DeVonta Smith is probably going to run a high 4.4/low 4.5 time. Comparatively slow to those two, but plenty fast for the NFL as a top receiver.

I'm not even going to speculate on what Devonta Smith will run. I've heard everything from 4.38 to the 4.5's and all of that is supposedly reliable "word out of Alabama".

I think when I watch him get into situations where he's into a horse race with another athlete, he holds his lead or beats those other athletes. I think he gets into his speed smoothly and quickly, and when I watch defenders trying to deal with it, they're pressing hard. You see it in their body language. I think more often than not when someone is in phase with him on a deeper route, what usually preceded it is the guy gave 8 yards of cushion, back pedaled off the snap, and flipped his hips pretty early.

That's just not the tape profile of a speed deficient receiver. I dunno. Maybe Derek Stingley really sucks. Who knows.

I did find it interesting though the other day when someone brought up Trent Dilfer's appearance on the Ryan Russilo podcast, that Dilfer's prescription for Miami starting to mold their offense into the four-verts type of offense that Tua would be best in, the guy he said to draft was Jaylen Waddle. Maybe that was just Dilfer being all about speed, and certainly Waddle has it.

Last edited:
I liked Jerry Jeudy a whole lot but I've seen Devonta Smith do things Jeudy hasn't, and with more consistency.
I did too. Was hoping he would fall to us as the draft was unfolding. I am really high on Smith as well. Would love to re-connect him and Tua.

In terms of Smith doing things that Jeudy doesn't, what comes to mind for you?

Back
Top Bottom