Smith versus Waddle | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

I think Smith WAS in the shadow of more flashy guys like Ruggs and Waddle but no longer.

His play after Waddle went down has been off the charts.

He has shown everything you could ask of a top WR prospect.

IF Chase runs a little slow at his workouts Smith might be the first WR off the board.

I still think it will be Chase, Smith and then Waddle, with Bateman possibly slipping in there but what more does Smith have to do?

I love Chase but Smith really would be a perfect fit in Miami, I just would like to get him outside the Top 10.

But IF Parsons is gone and there is no good trade down offer then Chase/Smith is probably the play.

they absolutely should (spend two of first four picks on WR) if they don’t spend on one in FA.
If the Bucs can't resign Godwin, he'd be my first choice. Otherwise, Allen Robinson.

I think Bowden can play and play well in this league. Albert Wilson, Allen Hurns, and Preston Williams will on be on the initial roster...and all have had some success in the league.

If we resign Mack Hollins to play STs, he can play some WR as well. DvP and Jakeem are signed. We are now in a numbers game.

So lets count...Godwin or other FA (if we sign him), Parker, Preston Williams, Wilson, Hurns, Hollins, Bowden, and now a rookie WR. That's eight.

Assuming we cut Hurns, that's seven. Probably only keeping 6 WRs. I understand injuries happen, so I am not afraid of bringing three guys in, I'd say let's pick one early and one 3rd round or later.

There are also some good looking later round or UDFAs that are intriguing...this kid from Arkansas St looks like he could be something.

Reactions: A1.
I think Smith WAS in the shadow of more flashy guys like Ruggs and Waddle but no longer.

His play after Waddle went down has been off the charts.

He has shown everything you could ask of a top WR prospect.

IF Chase runs a little slow at his workouts Smith might be the first WR off the board.

I still think it will be Chase, Smith and then Waddle, with Bateman possibly slipping in there but what more does Smith have to do?

I love Chase but Smith really would be a perfect fit in Miami, I just would like to get him outside the Top 10.

But IF Parsons is gone and there is no good trade down offer then Chase/Smith is probably the play.
I think that Bateman with our 1b is a VERY realistic scenario.

If the Bucs can't resign Godwin, he'd be my first choice. Otherwise, Allen Robinson.

I think Bowden can play and play well in this league. Albert Wilson, Allen Hurns, and Preston Williams will on be on the initial roster...and all have had some success in the league.

If we resign Mack Hollins to play STs, he can play some WR as well. DvP and Jakeem are signed. We are now in a numbers game.

So lets count...Godwin or other FA (if we sign him), Parker, Preston Williams, Wilson, Hurns, Hollins, Bowden, and now a rookie WR. That's eight.

Assuming we cut Hurns, that's seven. Probably only keeping 6 WRs. I understand injuries happen, so I am not afraid of bringing three guys in, I'd say let's pick one early and one 3rd round or later.

There are also some good looking later round or UDFAs that are intriguing...this kid from Arkansas St looks like he could be something.
I don’t know if we’re gonna see another season w/ Preston and hollins on the team together. Grant isn’t even included in there either, and I gotta believe he’s not going anywhere.

crazy as it sounds, if we bring in two receivers I think Preston’s role is in trouble. Could wind up a bubble guy.

say that pick up two...

new guy, new guy, DVP, grant, Bowden, now what?

preston is the bigger talent, but he hasn’t stayed on the field. A battle on the back end between special team contributors wouldn’t surprise me.

for the record, I’d dump grant.

I have always liked Allen Robinson but his contract would have to be reasonable.

Godwin is probably going to be too expensive and Smith Schuster seems to have regressed.

I like Preston Williams but he has missed a lot of games and his hands are a bit iffy.

Hollens drops are maddening as are Grant's.I would not mind upgrading either of them.

Watching Tua and Fitz being forced to try to throw guys open is really getting on my nerves.

The teams needs some guys who can get some(any)separation to make the QB's job a little easier.

And I still contend that the OL needs another quality addition.

I have always liked Allen Robinson but his contract would have to be reasonable.

Godwin is probably going to be too expensive and Smith Schuster seems to have regressed.

I like Preston Williams but he has missed a lot of games and his hands are a bit iffy.

Hollens drops are maddening as are Grant's.I would not mind upgrading either of them.

Watching Tua and Fitz being forced to try to throw guys open is really getting on my nerves.

The teams needs some guys who can get some(any)separation to make the QB's job a little easier.

And I still contend that the OL needs another quality addition.
The offensive line is almost there and progressing nicely as the season winds down. Even with some injuries.

But, I agree. One more significant starter, preferably another mauler, finisher in the run game.

Add that to an outstanding receiver, someone who can separate and must be accounted for and now you're talking.

The offensive line is almost there and progressing nicely as the season winds down. Even with some injuries.

But, I agree. One more significant starter, preferably another mauler, finisher in the run game.

Add that to an outstanding receiver, someone who can separate and must be accounted for and now you're talking.

Freaking AJ Terrell. That close to No.3.

Falcons play Tampa next week. Not sure if they have anything to play for, would make sense to get Brady a week off. Maybe there’s a chance? Matt Ryan goes out with a win before being traded to SF.

Smith and it's not even close. Would love to get Bama RB Harris as well - just hate taking a RB in the 1st round.

No one in our FO will consider a RB in the first unless we go on a playoff run, which would the. Likely require Myles Gaskin to go off.

RB not in play at 1b as far as I’m concerned.

We need upgrades on D and at C too much.

I’d assume that’s a more likely outcome in 2022 than 2021.

If we are trying to figure out who would take Waddle.....

Giants at 8, Panthers at 9, Pats at 15, Washington at 19, those four teams are surrounded by teams who’ve recently made big investments at WR.

3 of 4 of those teams have no QB of the future. Giants need to get Daniel Jones big time help at WR you’d suspect. Wouldn’t be crushed if Allen Robinson ended up signing there but Devonta Smith might be heading to NYG.

I don’t know where Carolina is heading as a franchise. Matt Rhule has that monster contract and some job security so stick piling assets and talent of any kind might be the only play at 9.

Pats have no direction at all. It’s nice to see that. Belichek could be swayed by taking the talented Waddle but then what....

Washington might stick with Alex Smith for another year, they appear to be in purgatory. If they want to talk Chase Young, I’ll talk trade down.

I guess a lot will boil down to when he can run for scouts. It want too long ago that Waddle was the player we couldn’t missed out on.

I’d a big fan of value.

Last edited:
I think when I watch him get into situations where he's into a horse race with another athlete, he holds his lead or beats those other athletes. I think he gets into his speed smoothly and quickly, and when I watch defenders trying to deal with it, they're pressing hard.

This description reminds me of Jerry Rice, who, IIRC reportedly ran a 4.7, but never seemed to ever be caught from behind and sure was able to be as athletically good or fast as the given situation called for.

IDC what Devonta Smith‘s 40 time is. He seems to be fast enough, whatever that is.

Washington might stick with Alex Smith for another year, they appear to be in purgatory. If they want to talk Chase Young, I’ll talk trade down.

I’ll bet there are more than a few that are altering their opinion of Chase Young.

If they haven’t, they really should.

Can’t see it as a reasonably possibility, but, yes, like you I’d be seriously into any conversation involving the Predator.

Back
Top Bottom