Smith versus Waddle | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

Remember CeeDee last year, where did he go? And then a full year away from football?

He better spent this year REALLY working on his testing #'s.

If he runs well, 40, shuttle and cone to the point teams don't see much of a difference from him and Smith, he'll go before Smith in that Top 16 category due to his bulkier size.
I was somewhat shocked that we almost had a shot at Lamb but a couple of things stick out. Mayock has done a pretty bad job as GM. In no way should Ruggs have been picked before Lamb or Jeudy. Also Chase would have been rated higher than all three of them last year. The full year? Hard to say but if guys show up at the combine and put up numbers it may not matter.

It will be interesting to say the least and even after Covid is over I thing a new trend is here and I do not like it. But I will definitely be watching the combine for the WR portion, should be very interesting.

There's always the chance Chase runs faster than expected and both Waddle and Smith run slower.

I could also see

Chase- 4.48, Top 10
Smith- 4.43, Top 16
Waddle- 4.34, Top 20
Bateman- 4.52 1st rd
Moore- 4.38 1st rd

Waddle MUST run sub 4.3 to crack the Top 10. He has to be in that Super-Human fast tier to make it.

I would bet my paycheck he would say Smith.

Yeah, I mean, Smith was Tua's top target in 2019. Jeudy caught up to his numbers after Tua suffered the injury, but I'm pretty confident Tua trusts Smith more than Jeudy or Waddle.

I think Waddle has All Pro potential, but I haven't seen anything from Gailey that makes me think he'd utilize his full potential. Said it earlier, but a role similar to T. Hill in KC would be perfect for him.

Yeah, I mean, Smith was Tua's top target in 2019. Jeudy caught up to his numbers after Tua suffered the injury, but I'm pretty confident Tua trusts Smith more than Jeudy or Waddle.

I think Waddle has All Pro potential, but I haven't seen anything from Gailey that makes me think he'd utilize his full potential. Said it earlier, but a role similar to T. Hill in KC would be perfect for him.
Agreed

I love Devonta Smith and Chase but I would not be unhappy with Waddle either.

One of those three and then maybe St Brown in R 2.

Mix in a LB and an OL and then look RB in R 3.

The main concern often cited for Devonta Smith is his weight/frame. ANd I definitely get it--he is lighter than most precedent. With that said, I think it's worth noting that he seems to always be available and never missed time due to injury. Is that accurate?

The main concern often cited for Devonta Smith is his weight/frame. ANd I definitely get it--he is lighter than most precedent. With that said, I think it's worth noting that he seems to always be available and never missed time due to injury. Is that accurate?
I believe it is. And all the data shows that lighter players don't get injured more than heavier players (in fact, much of the data shows lighter players get injured less). There are many other factors in NFL injuries (frequency, play style, etc.) so basing just on a weight listing is simplistic and wrong. IMO a more realistic concern about his weight is related to his ability to get off of press or make catches through contact. But even then a more reasonable determination on those concerns is made off of film rather than an assumption based on a weight listing.

I believe it is. And all the data shows that lighter players don't get injured more than heavier players (in fact, much of the data shows lighter players get injured less). There are many other factors in NFL injuries (frequency, play style, etc.) so basing just on a weight listing is simplistic and wrong. IMO a more realistic concern about his weight is related to his ability to get off of press or make catches through contact. But even then a more reasonable determination on those concerns is made off of film rather than an assumption based on a weight listing.

Definitely agree. With that said, the NFL definitely values physical specimen. Over the last 20 years, not many slight WRs have been taken top 15. Most of them have been busts.

Not saying Smith will, but I wonder if hes going to go later than people think because of this idea.

Definitely agree. With that said, the NFL definitely values physical specimen. Over the last 20 years, not many slight WRs have been taken top 15. Most of them have been busts.

Not saying Smith will, but I wonder if hes going to go later than people think because of this idea.
That's definitely true. However, I'm just not sure it's smart or that the evidence supports that approach. IMO the more effective approach is based on more than a height/weight/speed checklist. A team has to have a good vision for what it wants a player to do and find players that the film and traits suggest they can do well. Then you have to have enough stability and continuity in your organization so that the vision doesn't change.

I look at a WR like Chase. He's arguably seen as a better WR than Smith by most of the NFL. But he's not better at everything. Smith is better at getting separation on those short and intermediate routes that Miami often runs. If you had two alternate universe's that put them both in Miami under identical situations, who would perform better? I don't know the answer, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the answer was Smith.

Back
Top Bottom