So everyone happy with the draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So everyone happy with the draft?

Are you happy?

• Yes

Votes: 137 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Honestly, I have mixed emotions about it. I want to believe many of the players will work out. But am nervous this could turn out worse than initially thought. Lots of players who may need seasoning and coaching. Not sure that's a recipe for success in the short term.

I'm happy. Doesn't mean I wouldn't change a few things if I could but I get what the plan was and we got a lot of value. QB and took care of both lines plus added to the back 4. Got us a good RB......I wish we had drafted one of the top WR's but other than that I'm good.

I like that we didn't trade up for Tua. At the end of day one, I didn't see their strategy, but it is clear now. As someone who still feels great teams are built at the LOS, I appreciate the emphasis on the line. I do question, though, some of the choices in moving up and standing pat..Some of these felt like reaching for need instead of taking the large amount of draft capital and using it to get best prospects at those positions. Still, if the lines are good for a few years, it will have been a great draft.

Honestly, I have mixed emotions about it. I want to believe many of the players will work out. But am nervous this could turn out worse than initially thought. Lots of players who may need seasoning and coaching. Not sure that's a recipe for success in the short term.
But we're not trying to win a SB this week....yes it'll take time, specially with younger players but the foundation is there for the team to be good for more than just one year.

This draft was as good as one could hope for.

A year ago players wanted to jump ship. Players now are looking at Miami and saying these guys are going the right direction and I want in.
Dam right. Minkah shouldve stayed, our future looks better than Pittsburghs at this very moment

Fully support what they are trying to do--get franchise QB, build line, rush the passer. This draft, along with FA, is a great blue print. Whether or not the players develop will determine the success. But the design is correct.

I really like all the olinemen. I predict this oline is going to be top ten in a year or two.

I’m strongly of the opinion that anyone who is unhappy with this draft is one of the following:

1) Dead-set on being negative, in which case there’s no point in discussing

2) Convinced that they know which players fit Grier’s/Flores’s plan better than Grier and Flores do...in which there’s no point in discussing

3) Predisposed to just hating Grier...which I’ll discuss, but very skeptically.

This draft is an overwhelming positive for the following reasons. The Dolphins went all in on an amazing albeit injured QB and shored up the O and D lines. Leaves them in a perfect situation next season. The back and front field are really good. Fill the lines next season via FA or the draft and this team is legit! Buy your party hats brothers and sisters. It is finally time. Thank you Ross, Grier, Flores, and all involved! I feel good for the Phins for the first time in many many years!

Overall yes. As Danny said there were a few things I may have done differently after grabbing Tua.

That being said, I admire the commitment to protecting Tua. While in the past Miami has put resources into the OL the building of the line was mired by a combination of poor and lazy scouting (both in draft and free agency) while 3 players maybe a bit overkill you cannot doubt that in terms of being prospects they are better than pretty much anybody we have drafted in recent years outside of Tunsil.

The worst thing you can do is not protect your young QB. Unless you are a freak like Peyton Manning, you need to out competency on the OL. A great QB can make average WRs look good and average OL look competent. But very very few can make awful look competent

I am happy with the draft. I actually wanted Simmons at 5. I was just really wanting to build the defense. I have no problems at all with Tua and I hope he brings us back into contention every year. I am more pleased that we didn't trade up (or down). We stayed pat and let the draft come to us. As for the rest of the picks, sure I would have gone a little different, but all in all, no issues at all. Just based on what you guys say about these new players, I really hope they all make it. Here's to continuing the re-build :cheers:

Last edited:
If we had drafted Tua and 9 punters I would still have said yes.

If we drafted 9 all pros but passed on Tua I would have said no

If I find fault is only because they didn't do what I "thought" they would/should have done.

I was thinking they would be "all in" on offense considering what we did in the free agent market.

I'm okay with not trading up for an offensive tackle as I think the cost would have been too high. Plus Thomas was the one I wanted. Jackson, Hunt and Kindley are fine. Harris the center was there late and I thought he was worth a pick.

I would have liked to see an elite WR who is capable of getting real separation. I would have liked to get a pair of good RB's. I probably would have taken a TE. But only after I felt I had addressed the OL adequately.

In case I come off wrong I am very happy with our draft. My only "issue" is I was surprised at how many defensive players we picked. But hey, after you get a QB and OL you go get a DL (before you get skill players) so I can't complain now can I?

I am a little worried if we intend to play Tua this year as we don't have an upper level right tackle. I felt as though there were three big needs going into the draft, QB, T, and S. We got a QB, got one T and a huge question mark at S.

Some of the picks were guys I thought we couldve if gotten later, but I honestly don't know anything about these kids so even that's hard to say.

I'm more upset Miami didn't go get Wirfs after he started sliding. Jackson has immense potential but needs a lot of seasoning but honestly after the work Flores did with less than subpar talent shows me he can coach some men up.

Tua and Brandon Jones are homeruns as is Curtis Weaver. I like Hunt and Kindley alot since they love to hit people and our massive human beings. So having them not get manhandled like Miami's other guards will be worth the watch.

Back
Top Bottom