So What's The "real Deal" With Adam Gase? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So What's The "real Deal" With Adam Gase?

BigNastyFish

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it's just me, but it seems Adam Gase has become a somewhat "polarizing force" around here. Of course, it's reasonable to believe a lot of that negative energy stems from Adam's less than stellar sophomoric Head Coach (HC) performance -- including a FORTY to ZERO embarrassment & extended losing streaks.

But let's not put humiliation ahead of our franchise's glaringly obvious dysfunction, which PREDATES the arrival of Adam Gase by many years (perhaps decades)!

That said. I still hope Adam Gase can become the HC us long-timers have hoped for since...well -- way before there was anything remotely like a "smart phone" or even the clapper!

Seriously. I'm interested in defining the notable "advantages" Gase brings to the table as the HC of my Yammie Dolphins! I especially ask this question to the "Gase Devotees" who (seemingly) believe Adam has accomplished (and therefore PROVEN) much more than the skeptics around here recognize.

But like they say -- perception is everything until you pay attention to the win/loss column.

So what is it about Gase that makes him an emerging "Great NFL HC!" Or, if you disagree, or a variation thereof, rate/berate the following (and feel free to add your own secret ingredients)!

Let's start at the "genius" level! Regarding "high level system architecture," Adam Gase can design innovative and highly effective Offensive and/or Defensive solutions! (Rating scale = 1-10 et cetera etc. and so forth and so on...)

Adam Gase has demonstrated a keen eye for talent! He's an excellent talent evaluator!

Adam Gase also excels at developing talent! He's demonstrated the ability/capacity to get the MOST out of a players skill set and natural abilities!

Adam Gase is a big time motivator! His team has proven to respond POSITIVELY when he mashes the throttle to the floor!

Adam Gase is a game planning Ninja! His team clearly and often demonstrates superior strategic preparedness and "arrives at the game" with an obvious schematic advantage!

In addition, Adam Gase makes highly effective game day adjustments and consistently demonstrates excellent game management! We know his presence on the sideline is a my Yammie advantage!

In that light, Adam Gase makes great "chess moves" during the game and consistently finds a way to actively/effectively "COACH" at every stage of the game!

Adam Gase's superior preparation is evident by the fact his team gets off to a "good start" at the beginning of the game -- and after halftime adjustments!

I could go on -- but I don't want to be self-indulgent!

Peace. Out. BNF.

I feel like Gase is still finding his way, his type of players.

I believe, based on 2016, he would like to dictate the running game more. That was the biggest difference between his first and second season as a coach.

On paper, Miami looks like they could have a pretty good offensive line for a change.

The biggest question might be how Gase feels about Tannehill and if he's ready and willing to find another quarterback.

I feel like Gase is still finding his way, his type of players.

We hope so. He certainly has the right IMO as the HC to assemble the cast he goes to war with. Not 100% sure he knows (across the board) who exactly his "type" of players are...

I believe, based on 2016, he would like to dictate the running game more. That was the biggest difference between his first and second season as a coach.

On paper, Miami looks like they could have a pretty good offensive line for a change.
IMO the OL is the single biggest "protection a HC has! Followed closely by DL. We all know our OL has been pathetic for years... Again -- I hope we've turned the corner and our OL will be top 10 or better forever!

The biggest question might be how Gase feels about Tannehill and if he's ready and willing to find another quarterback.
Interesting point... It seems as reported historically Philbin was not sold on Thill -- and now for the most part Gase has his cart hitched to his wagon. No doubt a QB can sink your franchise for years... I'm still (after all these years) kinds up in the air re Ryan. I want to "love him." But...

From my point of view, Gase is the first coach since Jimmy Johnson to actually make his players improve and get better. Player development makes our draft picks into NFL players. Makes you wonder if all our draft busts are poor scouting or poor development

Didn't read, because you have an obsession with exaggerating things about Gase.

Hyperbole is the norm around here. He did use some of the talking points people use to defend Gase.

The problem? We are going into year 3, and he hasn't proven anything.

From my point of view, Gase is the first coach since Jimmy Johnson to actually make his players improve and get better. Player development makes our draft picks into NFL players. Makes you wonder if all our draft busts are poor scouting or poor development

I agree with what you've posted. If Gase has a legit future in the NFL part of that has to be in player development.

Tho, creds to the FO -- I think our drafting is (on average) significantly better than a few years back...

Too early to tell. Had a good 2016, had a real bad 2017. We'll see how it goes.

Gase comes to us with a lot of accolades and word of mouth from the NFL and college ranks, both coaches and players.
In 2 years we got 2 sides of him.
In 16 we went to damn playoffs! Woot!
In 17, we sucked really bad.
2 sides of the same coach.
I didn't see improvement in Tunsil or Parker. You can say he was dealt a bad hand, but Shula won it all with a backup QB. So did the Eagles this year.
My point is that when the main man goes down, coaching needs to step up.
With only 2 years of observation, it's unfair (To me) to make a judgement.
I need to see a third year, and I really look forward to it. I HOPE he and the team is successful.

We hope so. He certainly has the right IMO as the HC to assemble the cast he goes to war with. Not 100% sure he knows (across the board) who exactly his "type" of players are...

IMO the OL is the single biggest "protection a HC has! Followed closely by DL. We all know our OL has been pathetic for years... Again -- I hope we've turned the corner and our OL will be top 10 or better forever!

Interesting point... It seems as reported historically Philbin was not sold on Thill -- and now for the most part Gase has his cart hitched to his wagon. No doubt a QB can sink your franchise for years... I'm still (after all these years) kinds up in the air re Ryan. I want to "love him." But...
I don't dislike Tannehill and he hasn't exactly had a lot to work with throughout his career. But I think the team needs a new direction there. He's viewed by those in the know as a mid-tier guy and you need more than that to win consistently in the NFL.

Why do I get the impression that your OP is a passive aggressive attack on Gase?

Anyway, first let's dispense with the fallacy that Philbin was not sold on THill. The only report of that was a bullshit statement by Philbin himself in a feeble attempt at revisionist history weeks after he was out of the building that he was all for drafting Carr. There's been absolutely no substantiation, corroboration or confirmation of this fairytale from anyone else close to the team. What we do know is that Philbin's malfeasance included nepotistically entrusting the Fins most valuable developing resource to his butt buddy's son in law, a neophyte with no experience tutoring QBs, let alone one with limited college game experience. He almost did Tannehill in, and probably would have if clueless Ross would have extended him again instead of entrusting THill tutelage to Gase.

Now on to Gase. Yes, he has said numerous times, without prompting that Tannehill was a major reason he selected the Phins. A few weeks ago he reaffirmed his confidence in Tannehill. The unspoken caveat I would think is his durability and related mobility. But why wouldn't he still be confident in Tannehill considering the taste he left in his mouth going 7-1 and putting up many Top 8-10 league metrics during that run once his system kicked in?

I perceive Gase as a "work in progress." He's got a lot to learn and had some failures of judgment - to me not the least of which is letting his old school father in law worm his way into the organization and whisper in his ear how The Saints used to do it 10 years ago. Relatedly, he has hired too many coaches and players he was familiar with who haven't previously set the world on fire. However, he did turn around a 6-10 team into an albeit weak playoff team. Who's to say that might not have recurred last season if Tannehill stayed healthy and continued to play like he did in the AZ game before Campbell's cheap shot took out his knee?

On the basis of what he did the first year, the reality that he lost a QB who looked like he was finally coming of age the 2nd year, the "jury" should definitely be predisposed but not totally sold on him as a HC. By comparison, after his first 2 futile years in Cleveland with no turnarounds nor playoff appearances, how do you think Browns fans felt about Belichik?

Gase comes to us with a lot of accolades and word of mouth from the NFL and college ranks, both coaches and players.
I didn't see improvement in Tunsil or Parker. You can say he was dealt a bad hand, but Shula won it all with a backup QB. So did the Eagles this year.
I need to see a third year, and I really look forward to it. I HOPE he and the team is successful.
Definitely true. I am left wondering two years in what are his type of players? Still not sure what his vision is for the defense. I know that he has wanted to run a fast-paced offense, but that hasn't materialized.

He put a lot of blame on the players for not learning the system and that's a red flag for me. That said, he went out and got different pieces on offense so we'll see if results follow.

I agree with your post across the board -- especially re year 3.

That's really kinda like my core point -- tho I really don't have one!

GO my Yammie!

Too early to tell. Had a good 2016, had a real bad 2017. We'll see how it goes.
Real bad? Disagree.

Not trying to compare people but can you imagine the season we would of had last year with all the distractions with Philbin? He would of folded

Back
Top Bottom