So What's The "real Deal" With Adam Gase?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BigNastyFish, Apr 13, 2018.

1. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems Adam Gase has become a somewhat "polarizing force" around here. Of course, it's reasonable to believe a lot of that negative energy stems from Adam's less than stellar sophomoric Head Coach (HC) performance -- including a FORTY to ZERO embarrassment & extended losing streaks.

But let's not put humiliation ahead of our franchise's glaringly obvious dysfunction, which PREDATES the arrival of Adam Gase by many years (perhaps decades)!

That said. I still hope Adam Gase can become the HC us long-timers have hoped for since...well -- way before there was anything remotely like a "smart phone" or even the clapper!

Seriously. I'm interested in defining the notable "advantages" Gase brings to the table as the HC of my Yammie Dolphins! I especially ask this question to the "Gase Devotees" who (seemingly) believe Adam has accomplished (and therefore PROVEN) much more than the skeptics around here recognize.

But like they say -- perception is everything until you pay attention to the win/loss column.

So what is it about Gase that makes him an emerging "Great NFL HC!" Or, if you disagree, or a variation thereof, rate/berate the following (and feel free to add your own secret ingredients)!

Let's start at the "genius" level! Regarding "high level system architecture," Adam Gase can design innovative and highly effective Offensive and/or Defensive solutions! (Rating scale = 1-10 et cetera etc. and so forth and so on...)

Adam Gase has demonstrated a keen eye for talent! He's an excellent talent evaluator!

Adam Gase also excels at developing talent! He's demonstrated the ability/capacity to get the MOST out of a players skill set and natural abilities!

Adam Gase is a big time motivator! His team has proven to respond POSITIVELY when he mashes the throttle to the floor!

Adam Gase is a game planning Ninja! His team clearly and often demonstrates superior strategic preparedness and "arrives at the game" with an obvious schematic advantage!

In addition, Adam Gase makes highly effective game day adjustments and consistently demonstrates excellent game management! We know his presence on the sideline is a my Yammie advantage!

In that light, Adam Gase makes great "chess moves" during the game and consistently finds a way to actively/effectively "COACH" at every stage of the game!

Adam Gase's superior preparation is evident by the fact his team gets off to a "good start" at the beginning of the game -- and after halftime adjustments!

I could go on -- but I don't want to be self-indulgent!

Peace. Out. BNF.

2. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I feel like Gase is still finding his way, his type of players.

I believe, based on 2016, he would like to dictate the running game more. That was the biggest difference between his first and second season as a coach.

On paper, Miami looks like they could have a pretty good offensive line for a change.

The biggest question might be how Gase feels about Tannehill and if he's ready and willing to find another quarterback.

3. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Didn't read, because you have an obsession with exaggerating things about Gase.

lurking, 39wildman, fin415 and 4 others like this.
  4. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

We hope so. He certainly has the right IMO as the HC to assemble the cast he goes to war with. Not 100% sure he knows (across the board) who exactly his "type" of players are...

IMO the OL is the single biggest "protection a HC has! Followed closely by DL. We all know our OL has been pathetic for years... Again -- I hope we've turned the corner and our OL will be top 10 or better forever!

Interesting point... It seems as reported historically Philbin was not sold on Thill -- and now for the most part Gase has his cart hitched to his wagon. No doubt a QB can sink your franchise for years... I'm still (after all these years) kinds up in the air re Ryan. I want to "love him." But...

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  5. russdoe

russdoe Rookie

From my point of view, Gase is the first coach since Jimmy Johnson to actually make his players improve and get better. Player development makes our draft picks into NFL players. Makes you wonder if all our draft busts are poor scouting or poor development

Etuoo33, NoblePhin and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  6. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Right. And of course you totally missed the bold print.

Thanks for visiting and not reading!

BNF.

Etuoo33 likes this.
  7. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Hyperbole is the norm around here. He did use some of the talking points people use to defend Gase.

The problem? We are going into year 3, and he hasn't proven anything.

8. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

I agree with what you've posted. If Gase has a legit future in the NFL part of that has to be in player development.

Tho, creds to the FO -- I think our drafting is (on average) significantly better than a few years back...

9. psfign

psfign A True Fan

Too early to tell. Had a good 2016, had a real bad 2017. We'll see how it goes.

10. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Gase comes to us with a lot of accolades and word of mouth from the NFL and college ranks, both coaches and players.
    In 2 years we got 2 sides of him.
    In 16 we went to damn playoffs! Woot!
    In 17, we sucked really bad.
    2 sides of the same coach.
    I didn't see improvement in Tunsil or Parker. You can say he was dealt a bad hand, but Shula won it all with a backup QB. So did the Eagles this year.
    My point is that when the main man goes down, coaching needs to step up.
    With only 2 years of observation, it's unfair (To me) to make a judgement.
    I need to see a third year, and I really look forward to it. I HOPE he and the team is successful.

11. SF Dolphin Fan

I don't dislike Tannehill and he hasn't exactly had a lot to work with throughout his career. But I think the team needs a new direction there. He's viewed by those in the know as a mid-tier guy and you need more than that to win consistently in the NFL.

12. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Why do I get the impression that your OP is a passive aggressive attack on Gase?

Anyway, first let's dispense with the fallacy that Philbin was not sold on THill. The only report of that was a bullshit statement by Philbin himself in a feeble attempt at revisionist history weeks after he was out of the building that he was all for drafting Carr. There's been absolutely no substantiation, corroboration or confirmation of this fairytale from anyone else close to the team. What we do know is that Philbin's malfeasance included nepotistically entrusting the Fins most valuable developing resource to his butt buddy's son in law, a neophyte with no experience tutoring QBs, let alone one with limited college game experience. He almost did Tannehill in, and probably would have if clueless Ross would have extended him again instead of entrusting THill tutelage to Gase.

Now on to Gase. Yes, he has said numerous times, without prompting that Tannehill was a major reason he selected the Phins. A few weeks ago he reaffirmed his confidence in Tannehill. The unspoken caveat I would think is his durability and related mobility. But why wouldn't he still be confident in Tannehill considering the taste he left in his mouth going 7-1 and putting up many Top 8-10 league metrics during that run once his system kicked in?

I perceive Gase as a "work in progress." He's got a lot to learn and had some failures of judgment - to me not the least of which is letting his old school father in law worm his way into the organization and whisper in his ear how The Saints used to do it 10 years ago. Relatedly, he has hired too many coaches and players he was familiar with who haven't previously set the world on fire. However, he did turn around a 6-10 team into an albeit weak playoff team. Who's to say that might not have recurred last season if Tannehill stayed healthy and continued to play like he did in the AZ game before Campbell's cheap shot took out his knee?

On the basis of what he did the first year, the reality that he lost a QB who looked like he was finally coming of age the 2nd year, the "jury" should definitely be predisposed but not totally sold on him as a HC. By comparison, after his first 2 futile years in Cleveland with no turnarounds nor playoff appearances, how do you think Browns fans felt about Belichik?

tay0365, russst, BobDole and 8 others like this.
  13. SF Dolphin Fan

Definitely true. I am left wondering two years in what are his type of players? Still not sure what his vision is for the defense. I know that he has wanted to run a fast-paced offense, but that hasn't materialized.

He put a lot of blame on the players for not learning the system and that's a red flag for me. That said, he went out and got different pieces on offense so we'll see if results follow.

14. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

I agree with your post across the board -- especially re year 3.

That's really kinda like my core point -- tho I really don't have one!

GO my Yammie!

zach attach likes this.
  15. Rolltide03

Rolltide03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Real bad? Disagree.

Not trying to compare people but can you imagine the season we would of had last year with all the distractions with Philbin? He would of folded

16. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

Vaark gets it.

Etuoo33 and Vaark like this.
  17. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Easily the best coach we have had since Shula.

Will win several Super Bowls as head whether here or with another team.

We are lucky to have him.

100% the real deal.

tay0365, russst, fin415 and 1 other person like this.
  18. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

If "passive aggressive = want to be sold but NOT sold -- count me in!

Correct. Gase's "major achievement" is precisely as you described as an NFL Head Coach -- and I would add it's statistically LESS than Tony Sparano achieved in his Y1.
    Perspective needs to be kept in perspective unless and until the bar is significantly moved forward IMO.

Lo and behold -- it's all about Y3!

19. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

No, he means passive aggressive as in you dont really believe a word you just wrote in your OP and listed a bunch of sarcastic crap just for the sake of stirring **** up...

Vaark, fin415, andyahs and 1 other person like this.
  20. Vaark

Difference between him and the Meatball is that Gase did not have the voice of a Hall Of Fame HC invested in his success for his own selfish reasons in his game time headphone the first season.

Etuoo33 likes this.
  21. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Pardon me sir -- but truth is "Meatball" sounds more than a tad racist?

As a % Sicilian Italian I take note of that.

Whatever you thought of Tony, I don't believe he deserves derogatory lang.

BNF.

22. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Nice stuff!

Forgive the truth. Because it almost always hurts...

23. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Unreal.

I respect your opinion. But you totally FAILED to provide any testimonial (or otherwise) evidence of your opinion -- which essentially is the core question for Gase advocates.

So your "faith" is blind???

FYI -- feel free to BE SPECIFIC:

Adam Gase can design innovative and highly effective Offensive and/or Defensive solutions! (Rating scale = 1-10 et cetera etc. and so forth and so on...)

Adam Gase has demonstrated a keen eye for talent! He's an excellent talent evaluator!

Adam Gase also excels at developing talent! He's demonstrated the ability/capacity to get the MOST out of a players skill set and natural abilities!

Adam Gase is a big time motivator! His team has proven to respond POSITIVELY when he mashes the throttle to the floor!

Adam Gase is a game planning Ninja! His team clearly and often demonstrates superior strategic preparedness and "arrives at the game" with an obvious schematic advantage!

In addition, Adam Gase makes highly effective game day adjustments and consistently demonstrates excellent game management! We know his presence on the sideline is a my Yammie advantage!

In that light, Adam Gase makes great "chess moves" during the game and consistently finds a way to actively/effectively "COACH" at every stage of the game!

Adam Gase's superior preparation is evident by the fact his team gets off to a "good start" at the beginning of the game -- and after halftime adjustments!

24. NBP81

Talk about smashing the bait...lol

Vaark likes this.
  25. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Playoffs in year one. Without starting qb in year two and missed playoffs. Ok.

psfign likes this.
  26. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

I didn't fail, I didn't even attempt that ****. I don't care nearly enough to partake in these inane discussions beyond offering a surface level thought.

kevphin, SCLSU Mud Dogs and NBP81 like this.
  27. Vaark

I didn't coin that name. That's what he was commonly called around here. But I notice that with the exception of Saban, all our HCs including him failed downward afterwards.. I believe he sunk to TE Coach at one point, Cam got fired from the LSU OC job, Philbin helped get Luck injured as the Colts OLC, Wanny failed at different jobs during his downward spiral and now is a talking head. The difference is that should Gase ever get let go, I expect there will be a large demand for him as an OC as he's not perceived as a clown like the others were.

28. HeavenCent

HeavenCent Active Member

29. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

So, perhaps and consider, one may deduce all corresponding opinions are equally as shallow...

30. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

OK. I get the cascading downward vortex theory BUT ------- WTF are you doing calling Tony Sparano a "meatball"?

Like the guy or not -- why get so obviously racially derogatory?

31. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

First I agree in game Gase has made good chess moves in game situations.
    Second I believe Gase has a superior ego issue thus blinding him to personel. See Cutler and Thomas 2 players he thought he could rescue and the dozen or so of other prime players he let walk that were not his choices. Shula had ego Marinio had ego but when Shula discovered talent on any position on his team he elevated the talent to fit his team and did not jettison off the team because it threatened his leadership.
    Third and foremost which has been my fear is that even uf Gase can elevate the team via his coaching talent he will continue to be hamstrung by the presence of Tannabum. Tannabum is a lead weight to this franchise and simply must go.

32. SCLSU Mud Dogs

Oh, did you expect Miami to give up a first round pick for a player like Sam Bradford last year after our starting QB went down? That would have been a better decision, wouldn't it.

33. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Calling someone a meatball is racially derogatory?:rolleyes:

34. LargoFin

LargoFin Well-Known Member

I would fire him yesterday because he has no track record. That reflects in weak staff, weak defense, unstable environment. And Id be excited to look for a real HC with track record like Chris Peterson, Dabo, even Belichick, he is having issues in NE. Id give him 50 mil for three years.

But, I like some things about Gase. I like that he cares about QB position, I like that he is vigilant and decisive about fixing problems. I love that he gave Drake the opportunity, that he kept Fales over Doughty, he clicks with Tannehill. He’s done some really positive things. So, I do agree, there are reasons to be optimistic and like him.

But to me it comes back to the bottom line. He doesnt have track record, and I would not fk around. I would go after a more serious headcoach who did not skip steps in life. But I definitely would not fire Gase to hire some other garbage project headcoach. I like him better than that.

35. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

sadly in 2018 everything is derogatory. And I like Gase, I just think he acts too quickly sometimes without thinking things through. if we go 10-6 this year again and make it back to the playoffs it'll be right back to the honeymoon we were in a year ago at this time. no point in judging too much after flip flop 10-6/6-10 seasons. Some posters were calling for his head when we looked like crap the first couple weeks of 2016 with crazy play calling, just to be Johnson riding him by the end of the season. but I guess I must also like up/down, up/down because I was kind of heartbroken when the Charlotte Hornets fired their coach today who made the playoffs twice in his 5 years but has a .478 winning percentage. I guess I just don't like change

36. NBP81

Lolwut! Absolutely hate the offseason....

kevphin likes this.
  37. LargoFin

LargoFin Well-Known Member

Another way to put it is this. I have no issues with what Gase has done so far, since being hired. Other than frequent games last year in which we had 0 and 3 points at halftime. That can get old real quick.

I would fire him today for what he has not done before he was hired, which is he never headcoached a day in his life. He never won as head coach, never developed quarterbacks, never a built a great defense, never assembled and maintained great staff, never did what is required of a head coach.
    And now we have to live through that virgin experience with him, and be faithful.
    If I was the owner I would not do it.

38. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

Maybe a tad over sensitive?
    Maybe a tad over sensitive... LOL Some people find it endearing...

39. sleek

sleek $$UNDERDOG$$

So you are telling us you are a fairweather fan(cautiously optomistic, realist,etc.) and are asking homers (diehards,fanatics) to persuade you.Why?

40. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

No. The question is WHAT makes some believe that Gase is something "special." I tried to list some qualities/attributes that a really good HC might have -- only as a guideline for peeps to "enlighten others" as to what they are missing about Gase.

My point is --- he still may prove to be a good HC --- but I can't tag him with a list of superlatives in any way shape or form...

Feel free to make your Gase case!

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.