Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

As a pure RB Guice runs the ball better than anyone in the draft. He runs like being tackled will cause one of his family members to be killed. He bucks, fights and runs like every inch is the game. Give me a choice and I would take Guice over Barkley.

How is Guice as a reciever and in pass protection?

Would you mind listing your top 3 that you think would be there at MIA's pick (11)? or did you already do that in VIP and I missed it?

I haven't. I'm working on a couple things (Shrine/Sr Bowl), and I hope to have something specific to Miami sometime after the Sr Bowl - looking at options in each round.

Of the guys projected in that range or later, I like M. Davenport, R. Smith, and L. Vander Esch - assuming he tests the way he looks to me/is said to test. If he doesn't, DeShon Elliott is high on my list, and he's a legit FS.

Not sure Chubb is a given. Depends on HC. They run more of 3/4.. is Chubb a scheme fit idk. I think Orlando Brown protects Lucks blind side and shift Costanzo to RT.
Orlando Brown my early pick for Colts.

I thought they were 43. Maybe I’m off on that. I don’t see costanza as a right tackle therefore I don’t see brown to the colts. If the news on Luck is bad I still think they would roll with the kid they traded for. But maybe not if darnolds there. His game fits their o

Davenport looked kinda straight linish to me but I’ve only seen him sparingly. Landry gets off the ball as a pin ears pass rusher but I don’t love his overall game enough top 12. And if you take a de top 12 the pressure is really on. Ferrell is a talent but top 12 seems a little rich. And for me no way over Derwin James

I also struggle with what is Landry at the next level a 43 de or a 34 olb. I lean 43 de but it’s kinda up in the air for me...the safest term would be situational pass rusher.

Last edited:
If we say assume at minimum 3 QBs and Barkley certainly go top 10, here is my Miami early top 7, no partiular order, come at me:

Orlando Brown
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Bradley Chubb
Derwin James
Roquan Smith
Quentin Nelson
Courtland Sutton

Would be estatic with any of the above and each realistic except perhaps Nelson. They just don't value Interior OL.
Outside looking in but real close: Daron Payne, Denzel Ward.

If Minkah Fitzpatrick is there at 11, the Fins should sprint to the podium to draft him

Maybe we get really lucky and the 49ers and Bears go Offense to give their young QBs some wea
I thought they were 43. Maybe I’m off on that. I don’t see costanza as a right tackle therefore I don’t see brown to the colts. If the news on Luck is bad I still think they would roll with the kid they traded for. But maybe not if darnolds there. His game fits their o

Davenport looked kinda straight linish to me but I’ve only seen him sparingly. Landry gets off the ball as a pin ears pass rusher but I don’t love his overall game enough top 12. And if you take a de top 12 the pressure is really on. Ferrell is a talent but top 12 seems a little rich. And for me no way over Derwin James

I also struggle with what is Landry at the next level a 43 de or a 34 olb. I lean 43 de but it’s kinda up in the air for me

You are probably right about Chubb and Colts. At 11 give me a sure thing like Payne over some questions marks in Landry the BC kid.

Maybe we get really lucky and the 49ers and Bears go Offense to give their young QBs some wea

You are probably right about Chubb and Colts. At 11 give me a sure thing like Payne over some questions marks in Landry the BC kid.

I would say it would be chubb darnold or Barkley to the colts

One of those 3

I think our best bet is teams to fall in love with more qbs
If Bengals Skins or cards want to move up and Chubb, James and Minkah are off the board-- will have to consider moving down couple spots. Give me an extra 3rd Rder
2 - 3rds
2 - 4ths.

That was a hell of an athletic run with the ball int by Daron Payne in the national champ semi. Reminded me of Jordan Phillips but in a lighter package.

Harrison Phillips has mastered leverage. Wrestling background no doubt. Stands out any time I see him. Lots of top 50 worthy dts in this class I’d say.

But I just can’t see the value for Miami when I know they like the kids they just drafted and phillips is a resign and all the money in suh who carries the top grade on the d pretty much weekly

For my money suh and Phillips carried the two highest grades on the d in 2017

That was a hell of an athletic run with the ball int by Daron Payne in the national champ semi. Reminded me of Jordan Phillips but in a lighter package.

Harrison Phillips has mastered leverage. Wrestling background no doubt. Stands out any time I see him. Lots of top 50 worthy dts in this class I’d say.

But I just can’t see the value for Miami when I know they like the kids they just drafted and phillips is a resign and all the money in suh who carries the top grade on the d pretty much weekly

For my money suh and Phillips carried the two highest grades on the d in 2017

I like Phillips' hands better than any DT in this class. Not a great athlete, but he's relentless, and gets where he needs. You don't typically see a NT making that many plays. Agree that he's top 50 - probably a late 1st.

As usual, this board is all over the place as to who would be the right pick for us. I'm not sure at this point but I can say this......forget about the safe pick for once and draft the guy that will be a star at whatever position it is. Forget about the project and the "need" guy and draft the guy that will make a real impact.
After the 1-15 season Tuna and company made a big mistake. They decided that if Long wasn't a great LT he'd at least be a great RT so they took him and passed or Matt Ryan. They took the "safe" player. Yes I know Ryan hasn't won a super bowl. He should have last year but that defense let him down but that's another story. After Marino left we have passed on Brees twice(draft and then free agency)Rodgers and Ryan.

No I'm not saying we need to draft a QB at 11. I'm saying to just stop with the safe DT's and the project LB's or the DB's that could be a good corner or FS or SS but we don't know for sure. Play the draft to win instead of playing it not to lose for once. And please, don't draft a player at 11 and then tell us he's going to be a part time player unless he's a QB. ANYONE we draft at 11 has to be a starter from day one!!

Ozzy rules!!

As usual, this board is all over the place as to who would be the right pick for us. I'm not sure at this point but I can say this......forget about the safe pick for once and draft the guy that will be a star at whatever position it is. Forget about the project and the "need" guy and draft the guy that will make a real impact.
After the 1-15 season Tuna and company made a big mistake. They decided that if Long wasn't a great LT he'd at least be a great RT so they took him and passed or Matt Ryan. They took the "safe" player. Yes I know Ryan hasn't won a super bowl. He should have last year but that defense let him down but that's another story. After Marino left we have passed on Brees twice(draft and then free agency)Rodgers and Ryan.

No I'm not saying we need to draft a QB at 11. I'm saying to just stop with the safe DT's and the project LB's or the DB's that could be a good corner or FS or SS but we don't know for sure. Play the draft to win instead of playing it not to lose for once. And please, don't draft a player at 11 and then tell us he's going to be a part time player unless he's a QB. ANYONE we draft at 11 has to be a starter from day one!!

Ozzy rules!!

Is there anyone suggesting Miami draft a DT at 11?

Is there anyone suggesting Miami draft a DT at 11?
Yes I've seen several people on this thread actually saying that a DT would be a good pick because we only have Suh for a couple of more years

Ozzy rules!!

Yes I've seen several people on this thread actually saying that a DT would be a good pick because we only have Suh for a couple of more years

Ozzy rules!!

Must have missed those. Yeah, I would agree that DT isn't a consideration at 11. If Miami can add a dynamic LB, though, it'd right a lot of wrongs.

Ozzy rules!!
I said that depending on who is on the board Payne might be BPA. Rather have Payne than some of the others mentioned here such as Landry, Sutton, Guice etc.
Payne will be dominant in this league for 10 years.
He is not my preference but again depends on the board, right now he is in the discussion.

Must have missed those. Yeah, I would agree that DT isn't a consideration at 11. If Miami can add a dynamic LB, though, it'd right a lot of wrongs.
How many dynamic LBs are there outside of Smith? Give me Payne over Rahsaan Evans all day.

Back
Top Bottom