Some random thoughts about next year's draft... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some random thoughts about next year's draft...

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
I think this team is more confident about our young players than most of our fans...

Eichenberg... Jackson... the team believed in both, even when our brothers had only derision... and we didn't draft behind them.

Now... the team seems to like Julien Hill, maybe even Tanner Conner.

...and they've invested in Ezukanma and maybe even Claypool as our X receiver... and let's be honest, there just are not many targets left after Hill and Waddle... so the team is apt to bargain hunt here.

...and we drafted Cam Smith.. yet another high profile player at a position where we would eventually need help... and we were willing to draft him a year (or two) too early because we knew our asset (x) was aging.

Yes, I think Grier makes a habit of drafting the plus player positions early... and that he will again, but also... he's willing to remain patient on young players and to take them a year earlier than most panicky fans would.

So... I honestly dont think we'll go TE or even WR (where Hill and Waddle are solid for at least 2 more years).... or CB... (because Smith)...

Not QB... cuz... well...

And we took Achane in the third... so...

So... where do we have holes that are immediate, but have no one in the pipeline either.

And that's where I think we're drafting... lines, both of them... and possibly inside LB or Safety which are not prime positions, but do constitute 4 starting positions that we may see become open within the next two years.

Brothers... I think it's a grunt draft coming up. I know that a lot of you want 'Ferraris' or 'skill position players', but I just don't see it this time. Most of our coming Free Agents or cap casualties are in these areas... and I believe this is where we will go.

OL and DL are the most obvious needs - particularly at positions you'd draft RD 1.

But, unless they REALLY believe in Ezukanma, I think WR is still a need - particularly a WR who is both tough and dynamic - like they hope/hoped Ezukanma would be.

Same with TE. Glad to see Julian Hill developing, but I don't think Miami should feel content with Smythe and Conner.

So far, the only DT worth a pick in that 21-40 range looks like T. Sweat from Texas. There might be an Edge or two in that range - hard to say.

Despite disagreeing about Miami being set at WR and TE, I would be perfectly fine with a draft of nothing but OL and DL, assuming they select good players. Knowing Grier and McDaniel, they'll likely favor DL to OL.

OL and DL are the most obvious needs - particularly at positions you'd draft RD 1.

But, unless they REALLY believe in Ezukanma, I think WR is still a need - particularly a WR who is both tough and dynamic - like they hope/hoped Ezukanma would be.

Same with TE. Glad to see Julian Hill developing, but I don't think Miami should feel content with Smythe and Conner.

So far, the only DT worth a pick in that 21-40 range looks like T. Sweat from Texas. There might be an Edge or two in that range - hard to say.

Despite disagreeing about Miami being set at WR and TE, I would be perfectly fine with a draft of nothing but OL and DL, assuming they select good players. Knowing Grier and McDaniel, they'll likely favor DL to OL.
Oh, I think we'll look for a X type WR, I just don't think we'll reach for one. I suspect that it's a third day type of priority at this point.
Same thing with the TE... there just aren't many targets available after Waddle and Hill.
If we like a guy, and he slides to the third day... then we'll make that move.

Gone on D:
Baker LB
Ogbah, Van Gink - 2 EDGE
Wilkins - DT

Gone on offense:
Jackson, Hunt and Williams - C, RG, RT

As for team needs the obvious ones are OL and DL.

The team needs to prepare for life after Armstead(which they have plenty of experience with already) at LT but that might not mean an early pick.They have done fine with the various Jag's who have played there and since that is not Tua's blind side it might not be worth a high pick to address.

We will have to wait to see if Hunt or Williams stay before we know what needs to be done on the IOL. But I am happy to see Eich playing solid as he could solidify LG.I am torn on Hunt vs Williams if they can only afford one of them.Hunt is a home grown Fin but aside from the occasional bad snap Williams has been very good at C.

The Interior DL is going to be very thin even if Wilkins is back with Davis likely gone that is going to require an early Draft pick and perhaps more than one.

My hope is that with a strong Playoff showing the Fins become a team that vets will take less $$$ to play for which could help bolster some depth issues at least.

I know they have some potential big extension looming(Tua, Waddle and Holland)but I wish the team had been a bit more proactive with guys like Wilkins and Hunt. They could have been extended cheaper before LAST season.But Grier has handed The Cap pretty well so I am going to trust that they know what they are doing.

I don't think they will be pressed to resign Oline. They have Kion and Lamm in the pipeline, Eich is still on rookie contract,.
Maybe Williams will be priority resigning. I'm thinking they will look for acorns to restock and groom.

Wilkins and Gink, I expect them to be gone. Market will take them away. They will be in the 20 mil range, each, that is not doable on our side.

I don't think they will be pressed to resign Oline. They have Kion and Lamm in the pipeline, Eich is still on rookie contract,.
Maybe Williams will be priority resigning. I'm thinking they will look for acorns to restock and groom.

Wilkins and Gink, I expect them to be gone. Market will take them away. They will be in the 20 mil range, each, that is not doable on our side.
They can't let Wilkins walk for a possible 3rd round comp in 2025.That would be Front Office malpractice.

Tag and Trade if they can't extend him.

Roman Wilson is a late 2nd early 3rd guy probably and with the Fins lack of picks i can't see them using an early one of WR this year.

I am afraid that Free Agency is going to be out who they lose more than would they add.

Even with a lot of restructuring to create space it is unlikely they will be landing any big names.

Van Ginkel is not getting 20 mil a year

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom