Some Random Thoughts And Observations From Game 1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Random Thoughts And Observations From Game 1

Swollcolb

Active Roster
Reaction score
- I saw Jonathan Ledbetter set the edge in the run game multiple times. Not flashy but good football plays.
-Nik Needham #40 has been terrible, bad coverage, penalties, just looks lost out there.
-Minkah Fitzpatrick was surprisingly bad at tackling which was actually a strength last year. Probably a fluke but still multiple missed tackles is noteworthy.
-Obviously Preston Williams stood out
- Chandler Cox nice block on TD Run
- Rosen and Fitzpatrick both avoided some plays that looked like Sacks and made plays or got rid of the ball.
- Charles Harris running down Kenjan Barner on the screen play 30+ yards down the field basically out running DBs to track him down, showed flashes of the athleticism he can bring.

Feel free to add in noteworthy plays or players that stood out to you guys!

Was really impressed with Van Ginkel tonight. Very smart and seems to have good instincts.

Rosen looked very sharp when given time. I know he had that bad pick, but it was how he bounced back and started throwing dimes that impressed me.

Jason Sanders is also automatic.

Was really impressed with Van Ginkel tonight. Very smart and seems to have good instincts.

Rosen looked very sharp when given time. I know he had that bad pick, but it was how he bounced back and started throwing dimes that impressed me.

Jason Sanders is also automatic.

Surprising how good it feels to have a kicker you can rely on...

OL will be a major problem, but Rosen has some good pocket presence.

Preston Williams looks like everything we wished Devante Parker would be. Will be interesting how Preston's performance will impact Parker's playing time and status on the team.

Didn't get to see the game, but saw the "all of Rosen's throws during game" clip. He jumped out on the video taking some shots down the field. Preston Williams was killing it and the connection he and Rosen displayed in Pre #1 was fun to watch. I think Preston gives Rosen a little more confidence to take those shots downfield too. The sacks on Rosen sucked. Our OLine is gonna be rough obviously. Rosen will have to work on upgrading his pocket moves/awareness this year to try and counter some of that. He seemed to move with more urgency in that pocket as the plays progressed

Biggest take away is that Jordan Mills is not a candidate for backup LT. Awful game. Yeah the OL as a whole was shaky, but some (not all but some) was young guys just getting used to the pro game. But Mills (the guy with the 2nd most starts of any of the OL who played today) was by far the worst OL out there.

Nik Needham had a rough night. Even in preseason going from UTEP to NFL is a different world. Not a good look, but expect a better 2nd outing.

Josh Rosen had a bad INT, he also was occasionally a little late on some throws that are timing based, but you also saw some of the talent that people are excited about. Not a bad debut young one.

As bad as the o line looked, we have to remember the anchor, and probably second best player on the team, did not play. There seemed to be a lot of experimentation with lineups, Mills at LT. Let’s hope they got a few ideas of what NOT to do lol

Parker or Williams? Why not both? Parker didn't play much, but did have a decent catch on the field goal drive. I like the idea of having Williams, Parker and Stills on the field together. If you the line could pas protect could you imagine a 5 wide set with Williams. Parker, Stills, Wilson and Grant on the field together? Mismatches all over the field, but only 3 seconds to find the open receiver before the qb gets swallowed.

The Offensive Line was completely obliterated in during the 1st quarter. But once Rosen came into the game things along the offensive line started to improve about 2/3 of they way through the 2nd quarter. Nik Needham had as bad of a 1st quarter as a rookie can have. But thought he improved as the game went on. Preston Williams showed the World tonight, that he's the real deal. Impressive performance from a guy who I think is everything the Miami Dolphins need as a #1 WR. You can tell, he plays like a 10 yr vet.

Two players who impressed at times (and I know basically zilch about) were #16 - Trenton Irwin the WR from Stanford (with long blonde locks that belong in the 1970's) and #33 Jomal Wiltz, the DB from the Patriots practice squad originally from Iowa State. I thought Irwin moved surprisingly well - he moved like a well balanced athlete.
Wiltz looked quite feisty. With all of the former Patriots coaches now in Miami, my hunch is that he has impressed someone to be here.
I know both will probably be struggling to make the 53 man roster but I'm curious to see more of them in other practice games.

Last edited:
- I saw Jonathan Ledbetter set the edge in the run game multiple times. Not flashy but good football plays. - Agree

-Nik Needham #40 has been terrible, bad coverage, penalties, just looks lost out there. -- you missed the fact the kid made some legit plapys later in the game. Given his overall situation I think he did OK

-Minkah Fitzpatrick was surprisingly bad at tackling which was actually a strength last year. Probably a fluke but still multiple missed tackles is noteworthy. --- Minkah sucked. Period.

-Obviously Preston Williams stood out -- uhh... Beyond that!

- Chandler Cox nice block on TD Run -- Yes!

- Rosen and Fitzpatrick both avoided some plays that looked like Sacks and made plays or got rid of the ball. -- Yes

- Charles Harris running down Kenjan Barner on the screen play 30+ yards down the field basically out running DBs to track him down, showed flashes of the athleticism he can bring. -- BUT otherwise (when it counts he was a ZERO)

Back
Top Bottom