Some Random Thoughts And Observations From Game 1 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Random Thoughts And Observations From Game 1

The Offensive Line was completely obliterated in during the 1st quarter. But once Rosen came into the game things along the offensive line started to improve about 2/3 of they way through the 2nd quarter. Nik Needham had as bad of a 1st quarter as a rookie can have. But thought he improved as the game went on. Preston Williams showed the World tonight, that he's the real deal. Impressive performance from a guy who I think is everything the Miami Dolphins need as a #1 WR. You can tell, he plays like a 10 yr vet.

I was really impressed with that challenged catch. Wow!

Only 8/47 on penalties tonight, thats a significant uptick from last season. Especially in a normally flag riddled pre-season opener

I am hoping Parker has a pretty good preseason and we can trade him the the Giants or someone else.
I hope we don’t trade him. I’d rather see this:

Parker or Williams? Why not both? Parker didn't play much, but did have a decent catch on the field goal drive. I like the idea of having Williams, Parker and Stills on the field together. If you the line could pas protect could you imagine a 5 wide set with Williams. Parker, Stills, Wilson and Grant on the field together? Mismatches all over the field, but only 3 seconds to find the open receiver before the qb gets swallowed.

I was shocked how bad our OL was..... I'm talking very close to if not the worst OL I have ever seen.
And we’ve already fired the OL coach. I don’t want to think how bad it was before that.

While y'all talk about offense, the defense was the most concerning. Woof. Second team offense from the Falcons chopped them up. 172 yards in the half from Matt Schaloob? We can talk all we want about scheme but they are outmanned badly.

Obviously they are going to need to buy a starting cornerback next off season. None of our youngsters look good.

It's cool though. There will be an enormous cap surplus next season. Should be able to buy a couple of good O-lineman and at least one stud pass rusher as well.

Draft QB and next year will be much,much better. This year is going to hurt badly.

All three might be able to play in the NFL, but I also think there should be backs on the market at the end of training camp that might be better than all three.

I knew Laird was a good runner, i was hoping they would throw to him a few times. I definitely hope they put him on the practice squad. He needs to get bigger,stronger,faster, and if he is an excellent receiver, sky's the limit.

Two players who impressed at times (and I know basically zilch about) were #16 - Trenton Irwin the WR from Stanford (with long blonde locks that belong in the 1970's) and #33 Jomal Wiltz, the DB from the Patriots practice squad originally from Iowa State. I thought Irwin moved surprisingly well - he moved like a well balanced athlete who needs a decent haircut.
Wiltz looked feisty. With all of the former Patriots coaches now in Miami, my hunch is that he has impressed someone to be here.
I know both will probably be struggling to make the 53 man roster but I'm curious to see more of them in other practice games.
Maybe he could be more dynamic when he cuts the locks or maybe he needs them like Samson.:chuckle:

OL will be a major problem, but Rosen has some good pocket presence.

Preston Williams looks like everything we wished Devante Parker would be. Will be interesting how Preston's performance will impact Parker's playing time and status on the team.
I guess we will see if Coach "Flo" is true to his words. He's been saying all offseason that every position is an open competition. Well William's by all accounts has been the teams best WR in practices and was certainly the best one in the first preseason game...

Only 8/47 on penalties tonight, thats a significant uptick from last season. Especially in a normally flag riddled pre-season opener

all i saw was the rosens highlights, ill watch game sat morning, but from the looks of it...maybe less penalties because the oline didnt show up. ya know sometimes the OL will hold to keep the QB from getting killed, these guys just say **** it lol

It was a damn entertaining game for pre-season game #1. Preston Williams, who CK told us to watch, was really a lot of fun to watch, good call CK! #82 looked very smooth to me and he can really go up and high point the football. The offense can be good if we can get average play out of the o-line. I thought Rosen looked sharp on some throws and is clearly feeling a little more comfortable in this offense. He's getting closer and closer to mastering the system. He and Williams have some nice chemistry. The guards had good and bad plays but it was the first start ever for Deiter and Shaq Calhoun so lets give them a B minus for the game. I expect the line the improve with every rep they take. Tunsil didn't play so our best lineman was on the bench. That's fine with me, you can't get hurt on the bench! C'mon Googs!!!! Coach them up!!!!! I'm going to rewatch the game in a few minutes here.

While y'all talk about offense, the defense was the most concerning. Woof. Second team offense from the Falcons chopped them up. 172 yards in the half from Matt Schaloob? We can talk all we want about scheme but they are outmanned badly.

Didn't see the game, but I'm seeing mixed comments on the D. Most negatives are, not surprisingly, on pass rush and the 2nd CB. It isn't surprising Flo and staff are showing minimal schemes on D. New HC, new system, and a tough 1st 4 games. If, as most think, the pass rush is going to be schemed, I have little problem with that. With that long preface, was there any hint of a pass rush from individual players? Any indications or pass rush abilities?

[QUOTE="
Nik Needham had a rough night. Even in preseason going from UTEP to NFL is a different world. Not a good look, but expect a better 2nd outing.
[/QUOTE]
Still he hung in there and made a few positive plays also. I was particularly impressed with how many UDFA were able to make positive plays on both sides of the line. I'm hoping that's not a fluke and the coaching staff is actually "teaching". Overall this might be the best I've fell after a preseason game in over a decade (Apparently I screwed up the quote) :-(

Hope Miami QBs update their wills, the O-line will keep funeral homes busy.
Yes, but I'm feeling Atlanta's defense of line is at least better than the average NFL's. There was obviously a big drop off as the game progressed in second and third stringers came on

Back
Top Bottom