Some surprising attendance figures I read... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some surprising attendance figures I read...

Regardless of what the figures say, it's a travesty that playoff games should be threatened with blackouts. You throw in a couple of sub .500 seasons in there and you think the Fins would come close the the Redskins 93% attendance???? I think instead of mocking Bills fans you should be admiring those that have sat through some dismal seasons and in harsh conditions, true football fans.

Originally posted by T-ROCK
It just irked me when I read those results and thought back to how fans of other teams say that Dolphin fans don't support them... Those numbers are butts in seats... and ours a pretty high... Maybe if we had a stadium that only held 65,000 or less, like many on that list, every game would be a 100% sell-out...

Dolphin home games always sell-out they just do nto sell-out before the TV blackout deadline.

The same way they attend the games, alot of them go there to boo the Dolphins though.

Oliver...

Many of those games sell out because TV buys the tickets.

Originally posted by DNY

That number wasn't a reflection of sales, it was a reflection off attendence. TV/Radio stations may have bought some of the tickets, but the fans WENT to the games.

See now you're kind of stretching the case. The point is that fans didn't go out and support the team even for a playoff game. I mean look at some of those figures, you think if the Fins went 6-10 a couple of seasons the fans would show like they do for the Panthers, Ravens, Falcons, Vikings??????????

Originally posted by DNY
Regardless of what the figures say, it's a travesty that playoff games should be threatened with blackouts. You throw in a couple of sub .500 seasons in there and you think the Fins would come close the the Redskins 93% attendance???? I think instead of mocking Bills fans you should be admiring those that have sat through some dismal seasons and in harsh conditions, true football fans.

Travesty? notttttttttt...

How many teams go tothe playoffs year in and year out. For most teams a playoff appearance is every two or three years some never.

Our standards are naturally higher. I could care less about local blackouts as long as the stadium is sold out when it comes down to playing time. I also do not feel sorry for those who have to travel 80 miles to catch a black out game on a satellite dish.

Here is my philosophy for a single person:
Catching Blackout game 100 miles away: Travel time - 3 hours (round trip); gas - 20 bucks; toll - 8 bucks (round trip); food and drinks at least 50 bucks. Total roughly 80 bucks plus

Attending game: tailgating 20 bucks; parking - 20 bucks; ticket between 20 and 50 bucks....total between 60 and 90 bucks...

Seeing the Dolphins live with 76,000 fanatics - PRICELESS

As I said we can rationalize why these finatics don't rush out to buy the tickets but I don't think any of this supports Miami fans being more supportive or better then most other NFL fans.

Re: Re: Some surprising attendance figures I read...

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Good info T-Rock.

I will say one thing though. We may have good attendance BUT we do have the lowest % of diehard fans that attend. Just watching any game on TV or while you attend and notice the amount of empty seats through the 1st quarter and after the 3rd quarter. A majority of our fans show up way late and leave after the 3rd quarter only concerned with getting out in front of traffic.
Boggles my mind why they even bother to leave the house.

After the 3rd quarter you virtually have the pick of any lower level seat you want. It is pathetic. Watch games from other teams that are known to have good fan bases and you'll be hard pressed to find empty seats with any time left in the game..... I mean within reason.... as long as it's not a blow out.
This is why Fin fans have a LONG way to go in supporting the team IMO.

It is changing though. If us diehards keep reproducing little Fin fans, we'll have a full stadium of ravenous fin fans in the coming years!

So in closing..... Throw out your Trojans Fin fans and get to work!
We have a stadium to fill! :D

I agree with you on attendance when the game starts. Here is a problem I observed going for years to the games.

Problem a): Arrival to close to game time. A lot of people still wait until the last minute to drive to the stadium thinking somehow they slip in and out the parking lot.

Problem b) Parking: It can get confusing for newbies where general parking is, orange parking is etc. It is hard to figure out for newbies.

Problem c) Access to Parking lot: Small roads, incompetent parking attendents and you can not even go around the stadium because some roads are blocked off

Problem d) If you want to buy your food come earlier than just 30 minutes before game time. Concession workers are volunteers and therefore work veryyyyyy slow. If you want a beer at halftime you have to leave before the 2 minute warning and you are lucky if you make it back to your seat in time for the second half. It is pathetic.

Not that this all matters to me since i always arrive 4 to 5 hours before game time...BBQ, drink some beer and still got time to go to the tent and I still sit in time in my seats.

Now, early leavers....you have that only when the game is almost decided...we are up by a couple TDs or we are down by a couple TDs. If the game is close...people stay. But that is a phenomen which is being seen in 90% of NFL stadiums.

The Phins have been pretty good lately about selling out games during the season..

But when playoff time comes around we normally blackout..

IMO this is because we have roughly a week, sometimes less to sell out before the blackout deadline. Playoff games cost more $$ and a history of playoff blowouts makes dismal ticket sales.

Ill be at all the games this year though, hopefully bringing some good luck with me.

Originally posted by DNY
As I said we can rationalize why these finatics don't rush out to buy the tickets but I don't think any of this supports Miami fans being more supportive or better then most other NFL fans.

A standout year or a good run in the playoffs will turn it all around..

Miami fans are very supportive but are holding their breath for the December.

According to that site, they have the Giants and the Jets in Gaints Stadium. The same stadium. so why is capacity higher for the jets then the giants?

Giants - Giants Stadium 79,469
Jets - Giants Stadium 80,242

The over 100% figures are kinda weird too. Maybe they base their numbers on tickets sold. And they over sale more tickets then seats.

Check out the browns numbers, capacity of 73,300, avg attendance of 73,287 yet a percentage of 100%

Anyway, when numbers don't add up so obviously... I mean, at least fudge the numbers a little. :)

Originally posted by DNY

Wrong. They promise to buy any tickets that do not sell by game time. Again the Dolphins sell out their home games, they do not however do that by blackout time alot of the time.

Oliver...

Seriously does no one remember the empty seats in playoff games versus Indy and the Ravens???? While other teams playoff tickets disappear in a matter of hours upon sale, we have to scratch and claw to sell out. Like I said it's great that the fans are there but I see no reason that's puts them above most other teams fans.

Originally posted by DNY
Seriously does no one remember the empty seats in playoff games versus Indy and the Ravens???? While other teams playoff tickets disappear in a matter of hours upon sale, we have to scratch and claw to sell out. Like I said it's great that the fans are there but I see no reason that's puts them above most other teams fans.

Those games were sell outs. Just because many of the ppl did not attend those games does not change the fact that they sold out the game.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom