Some surprising attendance figures I read... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some surprising attendance figures I read...

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Very interesting...I think Ricky had a lot to do with last year's numbers, I'd be interested to see what the pervious years were like..Hopefully, Seau and Knight plus Ricky's play from last year up those numbers this year.

I doubt that...in 1999 our season ticket sales were 56,000; in 2000 (year after Marino) our season ticket sales was 58,000..in 2001 it was 59,000 and last year it was 57,000.

While Ricky may be top in merchandise sales or close to it it had no effect on season ticket sales.

The Dolphins have a 3 or 4 year home game sell out streak.

Wow I am really shocked, I have been to Giants stadium numerous times and it feels like that place cant hold more than 60,000 people where as you look at Pro Player and it seems much bigger.

I think capacity into stadiums will eventually decline all around the league, due to the high salaries of players and the amount of money you need to take a family to a game is redicolous. I couldnt imagine having to shell out that kind of cash for my family to have season tickets. And parking is always a scam, you think the owners of these franchises would atleast cut people a break and reduce the cost of parking to like 2 or 3 bucks, not 10 to 20 like it is at most stadiums.

"Those games were sell outs. Just because many of the ppl did not attend those games does not change the fact that they sold out the game."

But it does say something about some fans.

Giants Stadium and JRS were designed by the same guys. I think Giants stadium is designed at a steeper angle then JRS. JRS seems more open and brighter.

Yeah the stadium is steep, but it seem so small inside, even the walkways around the stadium, I have never been to Pro Player but it seems so much bigger than giants stadium, yet giants stadium holds more people.

Giants Stadium doesn't have the club level in the middle that JRS does. That takes away seating and probably accounts for the difference. I agree JRS seems more open to me and thus bigger.

the thing that blows me away about JRS is that the people seem so far away from the field, when I was a kid at the orange bowl the seating seemed closer to the field, ofcourse Im just going by what I have seen on tv about JRS.

On another note I think the statistics on stadiums should just be on tickets sold, I know the Giants have like a 50 year waiting list to get season tickets and the Jets are like at 25 years on something, I remember for years no one would show up at Jet games but the games wouldnt be blacked out cause the game was sold out, just nobody went.

The places that get the most respect for having rabid fans are generally in colder cities. Look at San Diego and Arizona. Terrible football cities. You should be glad that your team wins games and puts people in the stands. But I doubt any warm city will get a reputation for having hardcore fans. The Raiders are the exception but they don't have an allegiance to a city since Al Davis keeps moving them around.

Green Bay, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. These are places where on Sundays you know there's a football game going on.

Originally posted by baalworship
The places that get the most respect for having rabid fans are generally in colder cities. Look at San Diego and Arizona. Terrible football cities. You should be glad that your team wins games and puts people in the stands. But I doubt any warm city will get a reputation for having hardcore fans. The Raiders are the exception but they don't have an allegiance to a city since Al Davis keeps moving them around.

Green Bay, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. These are places where on Sundays you know there's a football game going on.

Buffalo's attendance is so variable that I can't agree with the above statement. They are not on a par with Green Bay or Pittsburgh.

Now, Washington is not very cold and they have as long a waiting list for season tickets as any team. Dallas fans are rabid for their team as well and they are certainly not cold weather.

Why should you agree with the statement, you're a Fish fan! As for Buffalo's fans we have the BEST NFL tailgating and were named NUMERO UNO by Maxim mag last time they compared all NFL fan bases. The joke about Buffalo that I was reading from someone on the Bills board was that we're a drinking city with a football problem. I wasn't going to bother dissing Miami fans because we're already doing a good of that in the smack room.

You're right that Dallas has a bunch of fans. They're "America's Team". I think what I was getting at was that the places where fans get crazy tend to be in colder places and have average fans attend. Not cities like NY, Washington, etc where the fans tend to be wealthier and more boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should you agree with the statement, you're a Fish fan! As for Buffalo's fans we have the BEST NFL tailgating and were named NUMERO UNO by Maxim mag last time they compared all NFL fan bases. The joke about Buffalo that I was reading from someone on the Bills board was that we're a drinking city with a football problem. I wasn't going to bother dissing Miami fans because we're already doing a good of that in the smack room.

Why would you diss Miami fans, here are our attendance figures

Miami
2002 - 7th
2001 - 7th
2000 - 7th

Here are Buffalo's

Buffalo
2002 - 13th
2001 - 19th
2000 - 10th

That is why I disagreed with your original post. Your fan base shows up some years and some years it does not. That is simply a fact, not my opinion.

But, you know what, I did not get my numbers from Maxim, only ESPN, so maybe they are wrong.:eek:

Actually, as far as ticket prices, we susposedly have some of the lowest in the league.

Raiders fans *are not* devoted. They rarely sell out, and their stadium frankly isnt that big.

I think it's pretty discouraging. I think the Orange Bowl seats over 80,000 and the Phins used to sell it out. With the population growth that has gone on in S. Florida since the 70's, I would think every single game should be sold out.

Attendance goes down when your team sucks? That's Impossible! Don't worry about us. We will sell out every game this year.

As for comparing fans, measuring best fans is subjective. Since we're both fans of rival teams, we will make zero headway in this discussion. I can say that you're attempting to measure fans in a way that doesn't account for what your football team lacks. Heart.

Attendance goes down when your team sucks? That's Impossible! Don't worry about us. We will sell out every game this year.

As for comparing fans, measuring best fans is subjective. Since we're both fans of rival teams, we will make zero headway in this discussion. I can say that you're attempting to measure fans in a way that doesn't account for what your football team lacks. Heart.

Typical.

The thread is about attendance and you bring up something else entirely.

I am glad to hear that you will sell out all of your games this year:)

However, that does not qualify Buffalo as having "the best fans".

Back
Top Bottom